4,272 results
All reviewsthe palm courthadrian's brasseriescotch barrocco fortesean conneryconcierge stafftrain stationbeautiful hotelturn down serviceprinces streetluxury hotelbirthday treatedinburgh castlecastle viewarthur's seatroyal milespa
Reviewed 6 December 2005

This hotel is without a shadow of a doubt the best place I have ever stayed everything is simply wonderful, food, bedrooms, staff, lounges, leisure centre all five star and more!! Yes its expensive yes its noisey, but this is a 5***** hotel right in Edinburgh town centre and Edinburgh is a pretty happen place especially on a weekend. All I can say to those people complaining about the noise is "get a life"!! What else do you come to Edinburgh for, the night life is fantastic, the shopping superb, another must is staying at THE BALMORAL HOTEL their is nowhere else better to stay!!!!!

• Stayed: January 2005
2  Thank Berry12123
Reviewed 5 December 2005

This is hotel is perfect if you are travelling by train. You come up the steps, turn right and its there. I booked a superior room for two nights via an online booking site.
We arrived early evening to be greeted by a friendly doorman. Checking in, we were then personally shown to our room by the receptionist. The room was stylish, modern and extremely clean. The bed was the most comfortable I have ever slept in and was also the biggest. Also the power shower was superb.
On the fourth floor, I did not experience any noises from the street. I was slightly disappointed that the room was on the side street rather than one with a view of Edinburgh Castle as I had requested this when booking. However, I did stay on a very busy weekend and preference was probably given to guests paying the full rate rather than an online discount.

If you are the kind of person who appreciates the little touches, this is the hotel for you. If you do not appreciate those special little touches, stay in a motorway hotel. From the chambermaids neatly laying your toiletries out in the bathroom for you, turning down the bed in the evening whilst you are out, the very heavy dressing gowns, the concierge patiently explaining the answers to your every question, the list goes on...
The staff are professional, friendly and are genuinely interested in you.
Add Christmas decorations to all this and you have a really lovely atmosphere.

• Stayed: December 2005
2  Thank spike1buffy
Reviewed 8 November 2005

I stayed at this hotel for one night and decided to treat myself and thought the £200 per night rate would be justified in a 5* hotel.

Unfortunately, I found the hotel very ordinary. No major complaints but the standard of the rooms was equal to a much cheaper lower rated hotel. The room was small, no special touches, bathroom was basic.

On the positive side, the breakfast (which was included in the rate) was fantastic and the staff were polite and helpful, although as a previous reviewer states, nothing special.

If I had £200 to spend on a hotel for one night again I would try somewhere else.

2  Thank Catarioca G
Reviewed 29 September 2005

My husband and I were in Scotland for a long weekend. After a disastrous evening in the Scotsman Hotel, we checked into The Balmoral Hotel for the remaining 3 nights. All I can say is 'wow'! The service was amazing, very courteous from the instant we walked in the door. The rooms were comfortable, exactly the type of 'Old Scotland' we were hoping for. The first night we had champagne in the Bollinger Bar. We also experienced Hadrian's and Number One restaurant with no complaints. I had a couple of treatments in the spa on the second day. When we wanted to see the sites of Edinburgh, the staff were more than obliging and arranged a couple of tours for us. My husband and I retired several years ago and have been traveling all over the world since. This hotel has to have been one of the best experiences we've had. I couldn't recommend it enough to people visiting Edinburgh.

6  Thank Departure28711
Reviewed 29 September 2005

A great hotel! Beautiful suite with nice views. Outstanding service from all the members of the hotel staff. Excellent location for arrival by train, and seeing the sites of both the old and new cities. Afternoon tea in the room was delicious. We even got a complimentary bottle of wine and fruit in our room.

3  Thank MAM71