4,277 results
All reviewsthe palm courthadrian's brasseriescotch barrocco fortesean conneryconcierge stafftrain stationbeautiful hotelturn down serviceprinces streetluxury hotelbirthday treatedinburgh castlecastle viewarthur's seatroyal milespa
Reviewed 20 November 2012

Location is perfect for a brief stay in Edinburgh. We were able to walk to everything we wanted to see very easily. The Royal Mile is just across the North Bridge. The staff could not have been more accommodating and were extremely helpful in every way. The room was perfect -- the bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was large and the shower terrific. The only downside was you had to pay for internet as we did not bring our computer but that was a minor inconvenience. I would highly recommend The Balmoral if you are traveling to Edinburgh.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
balmoraledinburgh, General Manager at The Balmoral Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2012

Dear Guest

It was a pleasure to have you stay with us at The Balmoral and all of the team are delighted that you enjoyed your visit and wish to thank you for your kind comments.

Although you did not have your computer with you during your stay, we do provide guests with complimentary internet access in our Business Centre 24 hours per day.

Thank you for your review and we hope you will choose The Balmoral again for any future visits to Edinburgh.

Kindest regards

Reviewed 19 November 2012

Mu husband and I stayed in the Balmoral as it was my Birthday and we were going to the rugby as a treat !!! We had a lovely stay the staff were friendly and attentive. Our room was beautiful, bed was comfortable and clean. (did lack tea and coffee facilities but this can be requested from reception free of charge). I can recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to occassional enjoy a little luxury in the centre of Edinburgh. I would certainly go there again.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Balmoral where you celebrated your special occasion and attended a Rugby match at Murrayfield. I am delighted that your visit to the hotel was a luxurious experience and thank you for recommending The Balmoral to others who wish to visit Edinburgh.

We hope to have the pleasure of your company again in the near future and please do let us know prior to your arrival as we will arrange a complimentary tea and coffee making facility to be placed in your guestroom.

Reviewed 18 November 2012

Stayed here as part of our trip to Scotland.
Attention to detail is amazing and the service is out of this world.
Great location and stunning views of Edinburgh.
Great selection at breakfast and alot of food served.
Definetely recommend.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and you were impressed with the quality of service, dining experience and attention to detail you received from my colleagues throughout the hotel during your stay.

We strive for guest satisfaction and service excellence and appreciate such positive feedback from our valued guests, as it inspires and motivates us to maintain the high level of service we continuously aim to provide.

Thank you once again and do visit us again at The Balmoral very soon.

Reviewed 17 November 2012

We've stayed at The Balmoral before and when choosing a hotel to treat my partners sister for a big birthday, we picked this hotel because of the service, decor and views of the castle.

When arriving we were shown to our rooms, my sister in law and husbands room was amazing, just what we'd asked for, then for the same cost, my partner and I were shown to a room half the size. On booking several months earlier, my partner had requested the same rooms, castle view and next door to each other. We were way down the corridor.

I went to reception and complained that our room was smaller, we weren't together and initially was shown another room, a suite which was bigger but really old fashioned. Not what we wanted from our stay at The Balmoral. We then spoke to the manager and told her how disappointed we were and that I felt our room was over priced. She explained that they were looking at re-pricing some of their rooms which grated on me a little, why give a party two very different rooms in size when we would obviously compare?! And charge a hefty sum for it too?! When having the wardrobe door open you couldn't get to the bathroom!

Finally I was asked how much I felt was a fair price for the room and I said to which they agreed I could pay and move us the next night to a room of similar to the room our family was in.

Time to enjoy our stay?! Both mornings we were quizzed over breakfast bills and I was asked to sign, I explained that it was all part of our rate, apologises, until the next morning when it happened again! Embarassing in front of our family. There were several other little things that were just poor, nothing was right that we'd asked for even getting a decaf latte seemed a completely painful experience!

I'd had enough and complained again, getting the head of housekeeping/duty manager who I believe rescued the stay. She listened and then enshored that for the rest of our stay we were treated how I expect to be treated at The Balmoral. We had treatments booked, we were treated like special guests, we were booked into the Number One Restaurant and again were treated in an amazing way.

When we arrived back from our treatments there was a bottle of red wine (one which we'd drunk on previous occasion that we had stayed) waiting in our room with an apology and offer of any help/service. At last! The type of service I expect from The Balmoral!!

Good bits:
Sister in law had platter of fruit delivered to her room compliments of The Balmoral, on arrival she had a plate with cake and messages of happy birthday.

The bar and staff were excellent as always.

Treatments were amazing and the room that you go to afterwards, like a relaxing/chill out room was brilliant. There was thick fluffy throws to snuggle under, comfy chairs, low lighting and relaxing music. Brilliant. The pool is adequate and there are tea and coffee making facilities there.

Loved being in our bathroom with Sean Connery!!

The Number One restaurant. Food was absolutely amazing. Very attentive staff, great selection of dishes. It is pricey, but what you'd expect for a restaurant of this quality. At the end of the meal they produced a selection of small cakes, etc with 'Happy Birthday' written on the plate. My sister in law was chuffed. This was not prompted by us, so must have been the duty manager.

Overall, great location, great service that rescued a potential shocker!!

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank EmmaG13

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review following your recent stay at The Balmoral for your sister's special birthday celebration.

Firstly, I am sorry that the room you were allocated did not meet your expectations. Being that the hotel is a hundred and ten years old, each of our rooms are unique both in terms of size and décor and I do regret that you felt your room was not value for money. I am delighted that we resolved the situation for you and provided you with another room which was more suitable to your needs.

I am delighted that overall you enjoyed your stay, particularly your relaxing Spa treatment and your dining experience in our award winning, number one restaurant which exceeded your expectations.

We hope to have the pleasure of your company once again at The Balmoral in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 14 November 2012

This is a lovely hotel in a great location. The staff are ALL friendly and the bedrooms are very comfortable. Can be pricey but worth it.
The No. 1 restaurant was a wonderful experience with both food and drink served superbly in a very comfortable lounge setting.
The pool area was the only let down with uncomfortable bed loungers and we only lasted 10 mins. before moving upstairs into our bedrooms and into our divine beds.

• Stayed: November 2012