4,310 results
All reviews the palm court hadrian's brasserie scotch bar rocco forte sean connery concierge staff train station beautiful hotel turn down service princes street luxury hotel birthday treat edinburgh castle castle view arthur's seat royal mile spa
Reviewed 3 March 2012

I stayed in the Balmoral for one night as part of a business combined with leisure trip! Unfortunately my stay wasn't long enough to allow me to make use of bars/restaurants/spas etc. within the hotel but everything I did experience was fantastic. Each member of staff I met was very efficient, very polite, from desk staff to concierge. The room was nice, bathroom lovely, and plenty of the extra touches that make a hotel 5* - turndown service, newspaper delivery to room etc. When I requested an iron and tea/coffee making facilities they were both delivered immediately.

I highly recommend the Balmoral - aside from everything else the location is first-class, no 1 Princes Street!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank kerryjsmyth
Reviewed 2 March 2012

I can't begin to tell you how impressed I have been with this hotel it clearly deserves its 5 star rating. From reception staff to cleaners everyone is warm and friendly and very attentive without being intrusive. The food is excellent and so is the service. Nothing is wanting in this hotel and can't recommend it strongly enough. Price is the only thing that will put you off but it's the price you have to pay for such excellence and it's almost certainly worth it!

Room Tip: Top floor has some great views of the city!
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank steve121ifa
Reviewed 2 March 2012

We stayed in the Balmoral Hotel during February 2012 in our Honey Moon trip.
The hotel for sure is the best in the city. The location is excellent, in the center of the city and within walking distance from everything. The staff is very polite and willing to help you. They upgraded us to a suite due to our Honey moon trip. The room was amazing, one of the best of the hotel with very nice view. Of course the price of the hotel is expensive but Edinburgh in general is an expensive city, so it is worth staying in this hotel. I am not sure how nice are the simple rooms without view, but the facilities of the hotel are worth staying in.
Breakfast was perfect. Spa seemed very good with big pool, even though we didnt try.
I have also to mention that i forgot a personal thing in the hotel and the stuff was willing to send me in Greece with no extra charge,
Thanks a lot for making our Honey moon unforgetable!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
balmoraledinburgh, General Manager at The Balmoral Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for choosing The Balmoral as your honeymoon destination. All of team at The Balmoral send their warm congratulations to you both following your happy event.

We are delighted that your stay was such a memorable occasion and the 5 star service demonstrated by our staff exceeded your expectations. It is only through our guest feedback that we continue to improve and provide the quality of service that one naturally expects from The Balmoral.

We do hope that you will return to The Balmoral soon and we send our best wishes to you both for a very happy future together.

Yours sincerely

Franck Arnold

Reviewed 1 March 2012

The Balmoral Hotel will not disappoint ... well maybe just their Afternoon Tea wasn't as fabulous as the surroundings. The hotel staff were amazing from the curb to the front desk upon arrival. Even when we checked out it was effortless to split the bill between my sister and me.

The rooms were well appointed and the white marble bathroom was great. Loved the Bath Ritual Menu that was offered. Room Service arrived with a silver tray with hot tea, bath oil, bath sachet, bath lotion and a rose. They draw the water, add the bath oil and then tie the sachet over the faucet so that the water is infused as the tub fills. Then they sprinkle rose petals in the tub. You can add a glass of champagne as well. Awesome experience for 14 pounds!

The Balmoral Hotel is right in the center of it all. You can walk to Edinburgh Castle and Holyrood and across the street is St. James Shopping Center.

Our room rate included Breakfast ... which was definitely worth it. We also booked Afternoon Tea. The room is amazing and they have harp music playing as well. What was highly disappointing was the addition of Bollinger Rose Champagne. You got a small glass (maybe half of a normal glass) for 17 extra pounds! That was ridiculous! The did have an amazing tea sandwich (goat cheese spread, arugula and balsamic vinegar), however some of the sandwiches seemed to have been exposed to air as well as some of the deserts. The scones were not that great ... I have made better ones! My suggestion is don't add the champagne ... just enjoy the tea.

However ... do eat at Number One and enjoy the tasting menu with wine parings.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 March 2012

We booked a room as a treat and were overwhelmed by the class and old school glamour of the hotel. The service is the shining star for this place, every single member of staff is attentive and friendly and makes you feel like a special guest. We only had a basic room but it was spacious and the bathroom was amazing - biggest bath I've ever seen! We were told it was a queen bed but it was massive and super comfy. We went to the balmoral bar for the cocktail tasting menu and it was an incredible experience. The spa facilities are out of this world. it really does deserve its five star rating and I will definately be making this a more regular treat!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple