1,309 results
All reviews kyloe restaurant huxley bar jacuzzi bath end of princes street castle view room ghd straighteners junior suite boutique hotel taxi rank nespresso machine comfortable bed mini bar edinburgh castle central location small hotel full scottish breakfast amazing hotel
Reviewed 9 September 2018

We stayed here for one night as a gift from our daughters as part of our golden wedding celebration. Front the moment we checked in the service was great. We stayed in room 10 which is on the 3rd floor and meant climbing some stairs since the lift only goes to the 2nd floor but this wasn't a problem even though we are both in our late seventies. The room was first class with a welcome gift of wine and chocolate from the hotel. Breakfast in the Huxley was very good and overall the staff and service made our stay memorable. Will definitely be back

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
Jamie G, Reception at The Rutland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2018

Hello Scou,

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback regarding your stay with us.

We are very please you celebrated such a lovely occasion with us and the staff made it memorable for you.

We really hope we will welcome you back in the near future!

The Rutland Team

Reviewed 7 September 2018

Had room 9, nice spacious and modern. Great view of the daily hustle and bustle below but high enough not to hear it! Great central location. Staff very friendly and helpful. Hotel very smartly furnished.

Had breakfast downstairs in the Huxley which was very tasty and plentiful.

Lovely stay, lovely city. Would defo return to this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
Jamie G, Hotel Reception at The Rutland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2018

Dear CannotBeSerious,

Thank you so much for taking time to write your feedback on your stay.

We are really happy you enjoyed your stay with us, and found the staff friendly and helpful. We all really appericate the feedback we get.

We hope we will welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Hannah McKnight
Hotel Reception

Reviewed 6 September 2018 via mobile

We only had a night here but thoroughly enjoyed it. Great service from the moment we walked in, and they organised for our enormous luggage collection to be sent up to our room while we headed out to enjoy the city.

We loved the room, great size, enormous bed, and the Nespresso in the room and the thoughtful toiletries were a treat. We expected a bit of noise due to it being located on a busy intersection but we think they have done very well with noise insulation and we slept well. The breakfast in the morning was delicious as was the coffee and it was nice to choose off the menu.

Perfectly positioned to explore Edinburgh, and extremely good value. Looking forward to coming back here.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear Massweeney,

Thank you so much for your wonderful feedback regarding your stay with us.

We are delighted to hear you were surprised how quiet the rooms are, we have a lot of guest comment on this due to our location. We will be sure to pass on to the Huxley you enjoyed a delicious breakfast.

We will look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

Hannah McKnight
Hotel Reception

Reviewed 3 September 2018

I booked this apartment many months ago for our August stay, 4 nights total. We came for the Military Tattoo and Fringe. Apparently there is confusion on the hotel website regarding apartment numbers. The website showed what we assumed would be our apartment on a lower floor with a garden. What we actually got was a full winding 2 flights of stairs up to the top apartment in building 15 (which shows on web as room 6, but is actually room 4). I went back to the front desk and asked about the proper room numbers. My husband has a mobility issue, and struggled to complete the last flight of stairs. The day manager said they could move us the following day after 11am. After discussion, my family did not want to cause a raucous and decided to stay the last 3 nights where we were. The website is still incorrect, although the staff told us it would be fixed forthwith.
As for apartment, it has a stocked fridge with complimentary milk and water and some snacks. Also has wines in fridge and a cabinet for additional fee. There is a Nescafe machine that offered comp. coffees that got restocked daily. There were coffee cups and wine glasses, but did not notice regular glasses. The rooms were spotlessly cleaned and the bathroom had plenty of room. I don't understand why European hotels do not have towel hooks! What to do with 3 towels??
The hotel is in a perfect location with a few nice restaurants within hotel. The Huxley and Kyloe. We ate at both and each meal was very good. The steaks were exactly the right temp and service was great. The French Rose was our go to wine for the 5 days we were in Edinburgh.
There's Ryan's across the street that also has a nice bar and a bit later breakfast offering than the Huxley. Also across the street and west a bit is a market that brings in still warm breakfast rolls and croissants. Rose street is very close to enjoy music and pubs.
The Rutland is just below the castle, and a fairly easy walk if one has no mobility issues. There is a cab stand directly outside the hotel which we caught on the way to the airport.
I would absolutely recommend the Rutland for walking to the Tattoo, Fringe and Arts and Crafts market.

Room Tip: Call or email to ask about floors with no lift.
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank ABohemianGirl
Jamie G, Front Office Manager at The Rutland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2018

Hello ABohemianGirl,

Thank you very much for your review and feedback of your recent stay with us at The Rutland Hotel.

We are currently talking of updating our website to a brand new format, in the meantime thank you for highlighting this issue even after your stay and we will be sure to make sure this is fixed as soon as possible and not cause any confusion for any future visits.

I do hope you will chose The Rutland Hotel for your next visit to Edinburgh.

Kind Regards,

The Rutland Team.

Reviewed 2 September 2018

I enjoyed my stay at the Rutland Hotel in August 2018 for a long weekend during the Edinburgh Festival. The reception is a little unassuming on entry because it's relatively small, but it's worth bearing in mind that this is a small hotel. All the reception staff were so welcoming and friendly across the board for the duration of my stay, from start to finish. There were cakes & fruit in reception for guests; they weren't brought to my attention explicitly, so I eventually cracked & asked if I could help myself to some cake & a banana!! :). My room (Room 7) was lovely and spacious and beautifully appointed. There were complimentary bottles of water left in the room each day, room cleaning was excellent, and there were lovely toiletries etc. One small point which might have made the room even nicer would have been to have more natural light; my room had one fairly small window which didn't give any great view. Also there was a blind but no curtain, so for any sleepers hyper-aware of early morning light, an eye-mask might be of help. The bathroom was beautiful; there was a rainforest type shower (no handheld shower) and jacuzzi bath. A little instruction card on how to use the jacuzzi function might be appreciated by some guests (I found it a bit tricky to figure out!). A very thoughtful touch in the bathroom was the little basket by the sink containing deodorant, chewing gum, and other handy extra toiletries - really nice. My bed was super comfy. However, there was some sort of vibration under my room (maybe the lift? or an extractor fan??) which carried through to the bed and was not entirely welcome at 6:30am on Sunday morning for a ridiculously light sleeper - however, I'm sure many would barely notice this! Another small point was that there was only a small number of those 'fixed' hangers in the wardrobe; a few more would be useful for longer stays. In terms of value for money, as a solo traveller I felt I was paying a lot to stay in the Rutland, but I appreciate that it was during August in Edinburgh Festival month, and the hotel is in a plum location at the west end of Princes Street which was super. It was a great base for my time at the Festival. There is a very pleasant public bar (The Huxley) attached to the hotel downstairs which I found useful; I understand there's also a gin speakeasy in the basement although I didn't get to try that out. Breakfast was served during my stay in the Kyloe restaurant on the 1st floor - I had a really lovely breakfast there served by friendly, attentive staff, and had a great view out over busy Princes Street as I drank my freshly squeezed orange juice. I believe that breakfast is just served in this restaurant on weekend days (I think it's served in The Huxley on other days?). My included breakfast consisted of tea & great sourdough toast, followed by a choice of one of the menu items (e.g. porridge w/berry compote, gorgeous-looking pancakes, etc.). All in all, a very pleasant stay.

Room Tip: Room 7: I'm 5'3' so I was fine, but the ceiling slants a bit low in a few areas...tall guests watch overhead!
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled solo
Jamie G, Front Office Manager at The Rutland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2018

Hello mcgfi,

Thank you very much for your review of your recent stay with us at The Rutland Hotel.

I do appreciate all your feedback regarding your stay with us and I am glad you enjoyed you time with us.

We have since found the source of the issue regarding the morning of your stay and has been fixed, without your feedback we would not have been aware of this issue so I thank you for this information.

Please do come back and visit us again very soon.

Kind Regards,