“Location Location Location...and a wee bit more”
Review of The Rutland Hotel

The Rutland Hotel
Ranked #12 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 16 October 2017

We booked this stay as a wee birthday treat. I wanted to stay somewhere that was well situated, personal, friendly, fashionable,clean and with nice staff. The Rutland ticked all the boxes. It labelled, by some, as a 'boutique hotel'. Im of an age when I can recall the 'swinging sixties' and the pop art decor did put me in mind of that. Its situated at the top of Princes St, and you can walk from Waverly station ( we did it!) but best to get a taxi. A taxi rank is outside the front door which is quite convenient. The reception is small and was manned by various staff during our stay, who all were both helpful and friendly. We booked a 'castle view' room ( well you do that kind of thing don't you) which costs a wee bit extra, and you can't miss the Castle if you walk outside.. The lift takes you up to the second floor and from there, there was a flight of stairs to walk up to our room. This might be a bit of problem for some folk but Im sure the staff would assist if needed. The room was large ( we have stayed in some pokey wee places believe me) and the bed was humongous. The bathroom ( which had a very large shower area) was also spacious. It was clean and well presented.I noted one of the other reviews mentioned the remote control not working??Jeezo. No problems on that score for us! However we didnt watch much telly, as you come to Edinburgh ( wonderful place) to soak up the history and culture. My wife boosted the Edinburgh economy in many of the fab shops, which are easy walking distance from the Rutland. We didn't take breakfast on our tariff but we did sample the food at the Huxley (part of the hotel) and Kyloes (another review is pending) and that was also praise worthy. We had a lovely stay and we will be going back. A big thank you to the staff. See you again.

Stayed: October 2017
1  Thank Eddy E
Jamie G, Front Office Manager at The Rutland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2017

Hello Eddy E,

Thank you very much for your amazing 5 star review of your recent stay with us.

I am so happy to hear you enjoyed one of our Castle View Rooms during your stay with us, who would not love a fantastic view of Edinburgh Castle from their bedroom window!

It was a genuine pleasure looking after you during your stay and we do hope to see you again very soon.

The Rutland Team.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,177)

Reviewed 8 October 2017 via mobile

Hotel was lovely and perfectly situated in the city centre with minimal noise from the traffic. The staff were great and accommodated any requests I had. Only minor issue was the tv remote not working and the machine for the complimentary coffee in the room not working plus the pot for the water was dirty. Other than these two small things it was a great room and I had a lovely stay.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Jamie G, Front Office Manager at The Rutland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2017

Hello Nicole P,

Thank you very much for your review of your recent stay with us at The Rutland Hotel.

I will be more than happy to pass on your feedback to our staff who always give there all to enhance a guests stay.

Thank you for your feedback regarding the TV remote and coffee machine, these issues have since been found and resolved so I thank you for this information.

Please do come back and visit us again very soon.

Reviewed 6 October 2017

We stayed here for three wonderful nights. The location was perfect. Quiet, but right off Princes Street so excellent restaurants and stores were right outside our door.

Ross (at least I think that was his name) was so excited to tell us about the places to visit and his excitement was infectious. All the staff members we dealt with were helpful and kind.

The room I booked was a single so I expected a small shoebox but what I received was a good-sized room with all the extras, including a jacuzzi tub and a view onto the street below.

The only thing I didn't care for was getting in and out of the shower. As a short person of 5'2" it was kind of difficult to get in and out as there was nothing to hold onto for balance. But that was a small thing compared to everything else that was so right.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family

Hello Kat H,

Thank you for your 5 star review of your recent stay with us at The Rutland Hotel.

I am so happy to hear what a great stay you had with us at The Rutland and I will be sure to pass on the great feedback to Ross who is part of our fantastic reception team.

Please do come back and visit us again very soon.

Reviewed 4 October 2017 via mobile

We stayed at The Rutland for two nights at the end of September, a £19 taxi ride from Edinburgh Airport. The hotel is centrally located at one end of Princes St.

Our room, being up on the top floor, meant taking the lift to the second floor and then climbing one flight of stairs. The room was clean, large and spacious and with a separate bath and shower.

Staff were courteous and helpful. Check in and check out were straight forward. Well worth a return visit.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Jamie G, Front Office Manager at The Rutland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2017

Hello Kiwi_overseas,

I am so happy to ear what a great time you had with us in Edinburgh and we hope we can welcome you back again very soon.

Reviewed 3 October 2017 via mobile

Lovely room in the middle of the city. Brilliant size and well furnished. The bathroom was well equipped with lots of lovely added extras.
Reception staff were lovely and friendly
Very good value for the price including breakfast.
The only reason for losing a star on my rating was breakfast on the second day wasn’t very good at allx

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Jamie G, Front Office Manager at The Rutland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2017

Hello shazkowalski,

Thank you very much for your review and feedback of your recent stay with us at The Rutland Hotel.

I am happy to hear of the great service and you enjoyed one of our fantastic hotel rooms for your time in Edinburgh.

If you could contact me directly regarding the breakfast on your second day I would be grateful but thank you for bringing this to my attention, if you could email jamie.gordon@therutlandhotel.com it would be very helpful.