3,003 results
All reviews haymarket station deluxe room high ceilings city centre princes street tram stop breakfast was excellent stayed for one night haggis porridge royal mile townhouse castle buses pubs
Reviewed 24 January 2012

Room at front of hotel so some noise from street outside which is a bus route. If this would be a problem request a room at back of the hotel. TV in room channels very limited and reception/picture poor. Sky sports in bar but not available in the room. We managed to access free wifi from our room. Husband found room cold, hand to adjust heaters and not actually that cold the weekend we were there. Bed very firm.

Nice original features in room such as cornice and high ceilings, building is listed.
Like others have said acceptable standard of hotel but possibly not up to higher standard you hope for with a Hilton.

Room Tip: If you want quiet stay, probably better at back of hotel.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kaz3003
Grosvenor_Edinburgh, General Manager at Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

I was delighted to read that overall you enjoyed your stay with us. I am sorry that your husband found the room cold - we do place additional heaters in room over winter, however in some rooms, due to the high ceilings it can still feel a little nippy.

I note your comments regarding noise from buses; unfortunately due to the Tram works at Haymarket, traffic is currently being diverted down our usually quiet street, I am sorry for the inconvenience this caused you.

Reviewed 24 January 2012

We booked the Edinburgh Grosvenor for New Year and will continue to stay at this very welcoming hotel. We ususally visit Edinburgh a couple of times a year and if we can get in at the Grosvenor then this is our first choice. The hotel is in the West End of Edinburgh which over the years has developed into a very vibrant area with a good selection of restaurants and bars. It is a mile or maybe less walk into the centre of Edinburgh but if you don't fancy the walk there is a bus just around the corner from the hotel. You can also take the short walk into Dean Village and visit the Dean Art galary, something which is not on the usual tourist attraction list and very worth a visit.

The staff here are very obliging and whenever I make a special request on my reservation - i.e. for a specific room they do their best to accommodate it. The breakfast is quite extensive and the chef is always on hand and happy to cook any poached eggs, omlettes, pancakes etc. that you may want to order. We tend to book b & b and have a meal out in the evening as you are spoilt for choice of restaurants in the city. Because this is a very old building, the rooms are all different sizes and shapes with the odd creaky floorboard but this all adds to the character of the place. The rooms are always kept clean and the tea/coffee and shampoo/shower gels restocked each day by a great team of chambermaids.

In Edinburgh we find this a real 'home from home' and always look forward to our stay here.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you for reviewing the Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor.

I was absolutely delighted read your review! Your comments gave me much pride, always like to see the staff being acknowledged for all their hard work.

It would be our pleasure to welcome you back in the future!

Reviewed 23 January 2012

We've been to many Hilton Hotels in the UK and Ireland and never had any problems until now.Travel Lodge here we come !! We arrived at Reception after a long walk from the City Centre.It was an extremely cold winters day with a piercing wind and i was looking forward to a nice hot shower, in the comfort of my Hilton room.Was great to feel the warmth as we entered the building. After a pleasant check in at the prestigious desk we went to our room.On entering the room,the chill immediately hit us.It was like walking into a fridge.There was only one small wall mounted hot air heater behind the door that was to heat the full room and the toilet.This was not switched on prior to our arrival (although the TV was ,on the Hilton Channel,prompting you to buy their products).The single glazed ancient windows allowed a significant draughts to add to the chilled air.Even after an hour of the heater being on, it was still too cold to take a shower and during the night I awoke several times due to the cold.Very disappointed and won't use Hilton Hotels again.The room itself was average - small with poor lighting . Definitely better value for money at a Travel Lodge or Welcome Inn.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review.

I am sorry for the disappointment you experienced due to the cold room, I must assure you that this is not our normal standard; our housekeeping procedure is to leave the radiator on to keep rooms warm, I am sorry this was not the case. Had you made a member of our staff aware of the issue at the time of your stay we would have offered you a room move or an additional heater for your room. The hotel is currently in the process of having all the single glazed windows replaced with double glazing - this will help insulate rooms.

Reviewed 22 January 2012

Staff.....1 in 10 speak any type of English. Everything was hard work, ask for honey....get salt, ask for an omelette get,well.....nothing at all!
Room.....hotter than the sun OR as cold as ice! Very poor TV channel options, a shower which is the worst I have ever used, it has asthma! You have to run around to get wet and it was so hard to get your hair washed we were filling bottles of water (not supplied) to rinse our hair.
Food/breakfast....we had 5 breakfasts, they started badly and got worse throughout our stay! Cold porridge, cheap beans, rationed orange juice, rationed ketchup/brown sauce, 15 minute
wait for an omelette/fried egg/poached egg, no honey, no choice of muffins, waiters who could
not speak English, and juggled all cutlery and plates...badly!! Did I mention the FALSE fire alarm during our first breakfast? Blind leading the blind!!
NO CAR PARK..£15 a day (what a rip off) and the car park is bloody miles away!!
MILES AWAY FROM THE CITY CENTRE!
THE SURROUNDING AREA IS A MESS, TRAMS MY BOTTOM!

We are not snobs, just hard working people who want a break, with a little comfort, and good food (OH MY GOD!!! I DIDN'T MENTION THE PREPOSTEROUS COSTS FOR A REFRESHMENT IN THIS GOD FORSAKEN HOTEL!!!!
£3-20 for a cup of tea
£11 YES £11 for a glass of wine. £15-40 for a glass of Cloudy Bay....I can buy a bottle for that!!!
WHAT A BLOODY RIP OFF!!!)
In summary, I will NEVER EVER recommend this POXY hotel to anyone!!
If you want to splash out go to the Sheraton over the road (on Lothian Road)
If you want a real value hotel go to the George hotel (on George Street)
If you want to be understood, fed, watered, cared for and not ripped off FAWLTY TOWERS,JOHN CLEESE 'n all WOULD BE MORE ACCOMMODATING!!!!

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere!
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Lee W

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

I have taken onboard your comments, our staff members are comprised of people from many nationalities, but do speak good English.

I am sorry you did not get to experience our true breakfast standards; our Hilton breakfast generally receives high praise from our guests.

We do not advertise hotel parking, we state on the front page of our website that the closest car park is located on Morrison Street, the cost of this is £12.50 for 24 hours and the hotel can provide discount voucher for the car park chargeable at £7.50.

I am sorry for the disappointment your stay caused, had we been made aware at the time of your stay of your issues, we would have done all we could to rectify these.

Reviewed 12 January 2012

We stayed at this Hotel in November 2011 for a few days. The Hotel was clean, the staff were friendly and very helpful. Rooms were very big with nice beds. My stay was nice, I used the gym at the other Hilton which is a short walk away.
This Hilton did not tick all the boxes as other Hiltons I have stayed in. The bathroom, although clean was basic. The toilet flush was defective and needed a few attempts!
I mentioned the staff were friendly however at breakfast they gave the opinion that they CANNOT deal with a high demand. After offering my partner eggs, we are still waiting for it. There also appears to be a lack of communication, my partner asked for a different sort of vegtables, one waiter said it was fine, when meal was delivered another member of staff was very short stating it is not possible.
These are little issues but this is the first case I have encountered this within the Hilton chain.
Although, this certainly wont put me off visiting again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room looking at Church
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Grosvenor_Edinburgh, General Manager at Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor, responded to this reviewResponded 19 January 2012

Thank you for your review.

I was delighted to read your kind comments with regards to our staff, they certainly are an asset to the hotel!

I note your comment regarding the flush in bathroom; the toilets take a fraction longer to fill, and is deceptive to anyone that is not aware of this.

I have also taken onboard your comments regarding breakfast; generally we receive high praise for our breakfast experience, I am sorry you did not get to experience this first hand.

Glad to see that you would visit again – where I hope we can show you our true standards.