“Super”

Ranked #94 of 147 Hotels in Edinburgh
Derry, United Kingdom
“Super”
Reviewed 25 March 2012

I have stayed at the Scotsman twice and loved it both times. The hotel is beautiful and even the standard rooms are lovely. The bathrooms have speakers so you can hear the tv and cds whilst showering or taking a bath! Breakfast is fantastic and the staff are very courteous. Room service is great. Location excellent. All in all a stay in the Scotsman is a very luxurious treat!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lovestravel172
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, General Manager at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this review, 29 March 2012
We like to deliver a truly 5 star “Scotsman” experience to our guests; our staff always endeavouring to be professional, friendly and offer the very best service at all times, I am pleased to see that you experienced all of these throughout your stay.
We firmly believe that by adding all the little extras we really can deliver the luxurious surroundings that you enjoyed; such items as the bathroom speakers and just one of many.
I was very pleased to hear that you return visit with us was as enjoyable as your first stay and I hope to welcome you back to the Scotsman again soon
Thomas Graham

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (435)
Huntington Beach, cA
Reviewed 18 March 2012

It's difficult to score this hotel, as we found the hotel, staff, amenities, service, food quality absolutely 5-star. The hotel is just beautiful and we were treated like royalty since we stepped foot through the front door. UNFORTUNATELY, the hotel sits atop a nightclub. We couldn't hear the noise of the nightclub, but on both the Friday and Saturday nights we were there, the fire alarms went off in the nightclub which caused the alarms in all rooms of the hotel to sound (required because the nightclub is part of the same building).
Friday night, the very LOUD alarm sounded once. Because we were not warned this could happen, my husband and I grabbed our baby and headed for the door before the alarm quieted and we called the front desk for an inquiry. The next morning we were told the alarm was triggered by the nightclub. Saturday evening, the alarm went off THREE times during 11:30pm - 1:00am! We were woken every time, and so was our baby. Disaster.
Sunday morning, we were very upset and noticed there were letters outside our doors with apologies. Apparently, according to an employee, this happens ALL THE TIME! But the hotel chooses not to tell patrons about it! We WOULD NOT HAVE STAYED THERE had we known, which is probably why no one mentioned any of this to us.
In summary, beautiful hotel, great staff, and wonderful place to stay if you don't mind being woken up by fire alarms in the night. I suspect weekends are worse than weekdays...

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank vanessa v
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, General Manager at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this review, 22 March 2012
Thank you very much for your review regarding your recent stay at the Scotsman. I appreciate you taking the time to make your comments, and would like to take this opportunity firstly to apologise as well as responding to the points you have made.

The fire alarm that went off in the night was due to the linked fire alarm we have with the other businesses in the building. I’m sure you can appreciate that all of the alarms must be linked together for health and safety, legal and fire regulations in order to ensure our guests safety. It is truly unfortunate that the alarm was falsely triggered however I’m sure you can appreciate the requirement for this.

You have commented that you were informed that “this happens all the time,” I am sorry that you were given this information as I would like to respectfully confirm that this is not the case. As I mentioned above the fire alarm is linked with the Nightclub due to the businesses being housed in the same building and having investigated this with the management of the nightclub I can confirm that it was a smoke machine situated underneath a smoke detector that activated a fault during the evening which was the cause.

I am extremely sorry that you suffered such numerous disturbances on the night of your stay however and please be assured that I have raised my concerns with the nightclub management regarding this. I would like to confirm that the sounding of the fire alarm is not a regular occurrence and purely on this occasion a faulty detector in the club.

I was pleased to hear that you found our staff to be of the high standard for which we are proudly known and I hope that should you return to Edinburgh you may choose to stay with us again

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 March 2012

This is a first class hotel. The staff are really friendly and helpful and nothing is too much bother for them. The hotel room was out of this world - a roll top bath in a turret - what more could a girl want! It was a top class experience and I would definitely return to this hotel time and again. Great location, great staff, fantastic rooms.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Diann T
Thank you for taking the time to record your positive comments regarding your recent visit to the Scotsman Hotel. As you will be aware, normally avenues such as Trip Advisor are utilised for the negative aspects; making your kind words appreciated that little bit more.
We like to pride ourselves on our professionalism, relaxing atmosphere and service throughout the hotel; I am pleased to see that you experienced all of these and enjoyed your stay.
The Scotsman hotel was originally home to the famous Scotsman newspaper and we are very proud that when the renovation took place to become the hotel it is today, a lot of the traditional features were kept. We believe this adds to the originality and quality of our rooms and suites. Some of our rooms have those wonderful hidden treasures such as roll top baths and turrets and I am pleased to hear that this added that little extra special touch for you.

It is always a pleasure to receive our guest’s reviews and to hear that you will be returning to stay with us in the future is an added bonus, we look forward to welcoming you back to the Scotsman.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 March 2012

Booked the Scotsman for a weekend break for myself and my daughter. Had high expectations of the hotel having read a review of it in the Telegraph and we were not disappointed. On arrival we were upgraded from our study room to an editor's suite which had great views across to Princes Street and was very spacious. The room was tastefully decorated in muted tartan and had everything you needed and much more - the fluffy dressing gowns were a nice touch. We declined the room orientation from concierge but would recommend you take it as there lots of buttons which we didn't really know what they did. Whilst at the hotel we visited the pool and had spa treatments. The way down to the pool was a bit of a trek but was the pool was pleasant when we finally found it, though a little dark because of the low ceiling and lack of natural light. The spa treatments and spa area are lovely, if a little pricey. The hotel is very well maintained and is a lovely place to stay right in the centre of Edinburgh. There was a wide choice at breakfast including hot chocolate and pancakes with blueberries which my daughter enjoyed. What I really think makes the hotel is the exceptional service from the staff. Special praise should go to Richard, the concierge who looked after us during our staff, but everyone else was very friendly and seemed genuinely interested in making your stay a memorable one. We really were made to feel special. I hope to return soon.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Kittykittencat
I always like to upgrade our guests where possible to add to their experience; I am very pleased to see that you were given the opportunity to enjoy one of our beautiful suites and that the standard was the high level at which we pride ourselves.

I can offer you an assurance that our Spa treatments are priced competitively with all other 5 star city centre Health Clubs in Edinburgh; the swimming pool lighting is aimed to make the area a relaxing and atmospheric haven away from the stresses of everyday life, however I do appreciate that this may not be to everyone’s tastes and I am sorry that it did not meet your expectations.

Our breakfast buffet is one of the largest in Edinburgh and our Executive Head Chef, Paul Hart works closely with local Scottish suppliers of high quality, fresh produce and along with our 18ft continental buffet I hope you had chance to enjoy something cooked hot to your order.

We are very proud of the fact that each and every one of our staff knows the importance of making our guests feel special and I am pleased to see that you experienced the team’s professionalism and friendliness. I would like to thank you for your personal comments about Richard and I have already passed these onto him and my Front of House Manager, Andrew Boe.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Scotsman in the future

amyg0509
Reviewed 5 March 2012

if you get off the train at waverly take the market gate exit to the back of the hotel
speak via intercom and take the lift on the left to level four or go in the main entrance on north bridge

greeted by nice staff who took our bags sat down for check in, we were early at 12.30 but the room was ready :-D
We were escorted to our rooms given vital info in the lift regarding which lift goes to which bit of the building - as it splits in two! Pay attention or it's likely you will get lost! The building is like
maze!!

we were room 808 a deluxe double. The staff member offered us a tour of the room and Info about the area etc. we declined the room info

... I would advise you all to get one! there were speakers in the bathroom and light services and dimmer buttons which we
eventually got the hang off after pressing them all! The room was spacious and had everything we needed, a seperate dressing area comfortable bed although not very long as my toes could dangle out the bottom (5'9"). Bathroom was gorgeous with a rainfall shower of the bath and thick fluffy towels and complementary highland toiletries. (see photos of room)

we went to explore Edinburgh and returned later (5pm) to use the spa .... well getting to the spa was a mystery tour
In itself!! we took the lift to level. 1 and were greeted with 3-4 black doors in a room thinking we were in the wrong area took the lift to ground floor and went out market street to the main spa enterence - no answer on the intercom so went back to the hotel lift and level one through a corridor into another lift and into the spa ! Amazing! the changing rooms are so clean! and girls there's free hairdriers GHDS to use. the pool was nicely lit -very dark not very child friendly in my opinion which was fine with no kids! sauna steam
tropical roomall clean and lovely. Found our way back to room ok. went to playhouse got directions from the
staff who were helpful and pleasant.

returning at night- our swimming things had been laid out to dry and turn
down service! curtains closed, new towels and im sure room had been cleaned and clothes folded - we had left all them a mess all over the bed.

we did not eat in the restaurant, but room sounded lovely.

only one small fault - the cupboard door housing the mini bar is high up I put
my dress over it out of complete laziness on my part as there's a perfectly sized wardrobe In the room. when i took dress down it down it had dust on it .

• Stayed March 2012
Thank you for taking the time to record your positive comments regarding your recent visit to the Scotsman Hotel. I was very pleased to hear that we were your “first 5 star experience” and that it lived up to all of your expectations.
As you have mentioned our Market Street entrance is ideal for our guests who choose to arrive by train into Waverley station and I’m glad our Concierge team were on hand to welcome you to the hotel. Although our official check-in time is 2pm we always endeavour to service our rooms as efficiently as possible and it is an added bonus that we had your room ready for you before this time.
The tour that our Concierge offer is certainly something that we would recommend all of our guest’s take advantage of, with all hotel rooms and facilities differing greatly it is always an idea to allow the “experts” to show you around and ensure you start your stay in the most informed way possible.
As the Scotsman, we were originally home to the famous Scotsman newspaper and are very proud that when the renovation took place to become the hotel it is today, a lot of the traditional features were kept. This means that the layout of the hotel may appear a little quirky however I am pleased to see the end result of your slight detour was worth it.

The turndown service that we offer is something that I hope adds a little wow factor to the end of our guest’s day and I firmly believe its always nice to come back to folded clothes, new towels and closed curtains; a little bit of home from home, I hope.

Thank you for mentioning about the dust on the mini bar door, I have already addressed this with my Head Housekeeper, Natasha Meikle and I am sorry that this had not been more carefully checked prior to your arrival.

I hope that you will choose to return to Edinburgh and indeed the Scotsman and I look forward to hopefully welcoming you back in the future