“Zsolt [--] is an awful manager”

The Old Waverley Hotel
Ranked #107 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 28 June 2010

If you advertise that you have wifi on your web page, it's a good idea to have working wifi. If you DON'T have working wifi, it's a good idea to pretend to CARE that it's not working. I was twice asked to wait for this useless manager, Zsolt [--], who was going to address my concerns. I twice waited twenty minutes. I never spoke to him. Eventually, Sylvia called another hotel, and I went down the street and have courteous service and working wifi in their lobby. This place was fine, but the Apex right down the street has better rooms, better facilities, better amenities and better food for the same price. And they have working wifi and they DON'T have Zsolt.

Thanks, Sylvia!

2  Thank Heelzebub
Write a ReviewReviews (2,162)

Reviewed 22 June 2010

Well just back from Edinburgh and stayed in the Old Waverly and have to say it was grand it is in a great location on Princes Street in the heart of the city not too far from the Royal Mile and other attractions in the city. I found the hotel to be lovely if slightly dated in places the rooms were very clean and the staff very happy to help and the service could not be faulted. although I didnt eat in the hotel the dining room looked beautiful. I would gladly stay here again and recommend this hotel to friends its in a prime location loads of shops for those who love to shop and a beautiful view of the castle to match.

Reviewed 21 June 2010

Spent four nights in 412, and was pretty satisfied with what I got for my £82/night. This was one of the larger single rooms I've seen, with probably the best view I've experienced at a hotel (window onto Princes Street looking right at the Scott monument, and beyond to Old Town). There was a certain amount of traffic noise from the street, but that didn't bother my sleeping. To address some points made by previous Tripadvisors:

1) The hotel lobby is indeed located on the second level of the building with no lift to get there. Not an issue for me, but were I old/obese/disabled, this could have been a dealbreaker.

2) There is a soap shop on the ground floor, and you can smell their stuff in the reception area of the hotel. No big deal - not like it's a skunk farm or something.

3) Some aspects of the hotel are in need of refurb (I would quickly identify the carpeting, both in-room & throughout the common area, as one of these). Not to say things weren't clean though.

4) My bathroom was clearly recently renovated & nicely appointed. For some reason the countertop was positioned such that the toilet seat could not fully open. Possibly an instance of "measure-once, cut-twice". I doubt a female would even notice this, but as a male it did seem a bit silly after awhile!

5) I don't usually bother with hotel breakfasts, but thinking (in error) that I had one included @ Waverley, I gave it a go on one of the days. Nothing to write home about, and a tad overpriced I'd say - but easy to avoid if you want to go somewhere else.

6) Likely due to a lack of space, the housekeeping operation "stages" its stuff on each floor. This means that leaving in the morning you will likely be stepping around piles of towels et al. Again, no huge deal but I have never seen this before.

7) I found the staff to be helpful in giving me options for an out-of-city bus tour and courteous & professional in our exchanges.

In the end, while the posted rack rate is too high, the Waverley is a good find if you can get it priced right. If in Edinburgh, I would stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 June 2010

Myself and partner stayed here for a two night stay and really enjoyed it. I was a little worried about the rooms from previous trip advisor reviews but thankfully our room was nice, unfortunately we didnt get a nice view but that didnt matter to us, the room was clean, comfortable and the location was perfect, very central. We didnt eat in the hotel but the restaurant and bar looked very nice with lovely views. I would stay here again and i would recommend it providing you get it at a good price.

Reviewed 18 June 2010

We arrived here after very early flight, we had asked for early check in and in fairness to the the girl on reception, who called us once rooms were ready, they did their best on this one. Whilst waiting there though, we were advised by an irate American tourist that he had been ripped off by the hotel and over charged etc. We thanked him for the advice, but wondered why the hotel could not have intervened and placated this customer before he had a chance to speak to other customers in reception as they were checking in! He had obviously reached boiling point at this stage, so why no manager to deal with it, leaving the receptionist free to book in the next customers.

Anyway, about our stay - hotel was fine, rooms a little small, but newly renovated bathrooms and incredibly powerful (hangover busting) showers. All good !
Lots of traffic noise meant a lie in was difficult, but the hotel is right on Princes Street, and perfectly located, so I guess that is the trade off!

We didn't have any food in the hotel so can't help you with that one. I think from looking at their publised rates, you will do better to book this online and pay in advance as we did, as this seemed to be the best deal.