2,300 results
All reviewsscott monumentprinces streetgreat locationtrain stationfirst flooredinburgh castlechristmas marketcorner roomtour busestriple roomcentral locationyour luggagebuffet breakfastprincess stnice bathroomreception areashort break
Reviewed 22 June 2010

Well just back from Edinburgh and stayed in the Old Waverly and have to say it was grand it is in a great location on Princes Street in the heart of the city not too far from the Royal Mile and other attractions in the city. I found the hotel to be lovely if slightly dated in places the rooms were very clean and the staff very happy to help and the service could not be faulted. although I didnt eat in the hotel the dining room looked beautiful. I would gladly stay here again and recommend this hotel to friends its in a prime location loads of shops for those who love to shop and a beautiful view of the castle to match.

Reviewed 21 June 2010

Spent four nights in 412, and was pretty satisfied with what I got for my £82/night. This was one of the larger single rooms I've seen, with probably the best view I've experienced at a hotel (window onto Princes Street looking right at the Scott monument, and beyond to Old Town). There was a certain amount of traffic noise from the street, but that didn't bother my sleeping. To address some points made by previous Tripadvisors:

1) The hotel lobby is indeed located on the second level of the building with no lift to get there. Not an issue for me, but were I old/obese/disabled, this could have been a dealbreaker.

2) There is a soap shop on the ground floor, and you can smell their stuff in the reception area of the hotel. No big deal - not like it's a skunk farm or something.

3) Some aspects of the hotel are in need of refurb (I would quickly identify the carpeting, both in-room & throughout the common area, as one of these). Not to say things weren't clean though.

4) My bathroom was clearly recently renovated & nicely appointed. For some reason the countertop was positioned such that the toilet seat could not fully open. Possibly an instance of "measure-once, cut-twice". I doubt a female would even notice this, but as a male it did seem a bit silly after awhile!

5) I don't usually bother with hotel breakfasts, but thinking (in error) that I had one included @ Waverley, I gave it a go on one of the days. Nothing to write home about, and a tad overpriced I'd say - but easy to avoid if you want to go somewhere else.

6) Likely due to a lack of space, the housekeeping operation "stages" its stuff on each floor. This means that leaving in the morning you will likely be stepping around piles of towels et al. Again, no huge deal but I have never seen this before.

7) I found the staff to be helpful in giving me options for an out-of-city bus tour and courteous & professional in our exchanges.

In the end, while the posted rack rate is too high, the Waverley is a good find if you can get it priced right. If in Edinburgh, I would stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 June 2010

Myself and partner stayed here for a two night stay and really enjoyed it. I was a little worried about the rooms from previous trip advisor reviews but thankfully our room was nice, unfortunately we didnt get a nice view but that didnt matter to us, the room was clean, comfortable and the location was perfect, very central. We didnt eat in the hotel but the restaurant and bar looked very nice with lovely views. I would stay here again and i would recommend it providing you get it at a good price.

Reviewed 18 June 2010

We arrived here after very early flight, we had asked for early check in and in fairness to the the girl on reception, who called us once rooms were ready, they did their best on this one. Whilst waiting there though, we were advised by an irate American tourist that he had been ripped off by the hotel and over charged etc. We thanked him for the advice, but wondered why the hotel could not have intervened and placated this customer before he had a chance to speak to other customers in reception as they were checking in! He had obviously reached boiling point at this stage, so why no manager to deal with it, leaving the receptionist free to book in the next customers.

Anyway, about our stay - hotel was fine, rooms a little small, but newly renovated bathrooms and incredibly powerful (hangover busting) showers. All good !
Lots of traffic noise meant a lie in was difficult, but the hotel is right on Princes Street, and perfectly located, so I guess that is the trade off!

We didn't have any food in the hotel so can't help you with that one. I think from looking at their publised rates, you will do better to book this online and pay in advance as we did, as this seemed to be the best deal.

Reviewed 15 June 2010

The Old Waverly Hotel can boast a near perfect location, but not much else.

The hotel is situated on Princes Street at the Southern edge of the New Town, facing the Scott Monument. A number of rooms have wonderful views of the Old Town including Edinburgh Castle. Waverly Bridge and Edinburgh Waverly Rail Station are just a stone’s throw away, making this hotel an enviable base camp for both exploring the Old and the New Town on foot and making day-trips out of the town via the well-connected Scottish rail network. Waverly Bridge is also the terminus of the Airlink Express shuttle bus from Edinburgh International Airport (EDI). A traveler can’t ask for much more than this. Location-wise, that is.

The mediocrity of the hotel starts from the entrance; the lobby is located on the second floor, and there is no elevator from the street entrance to the lobby. People have to haul their luggage through a few flights of staircase. It is a nuisance to the most, perhaps, but a showstopper to the disabled, the infirm, and the elderly. Thankfully, there’s a small elevator from the lobby to the rest of hotel floors. The reception staffs aren’t particularly rude, but not friendly either; they never smiled, and seemed like they’d rather be doing something else.

Rooms are small, though this is true in most European and East-Asian city hotels with mid-range rates. Bathrooms are relatively spacious, but the washbasin is very small (in fact the smallest I’ve ever found in a hotel). The bathroom fan was very loud and only stopped some half-hour after turning off the bathroom lights.

The hotel restaurant is on the lobby floor, and its staffs are slightly better than their reception counterparts. The mediocrity continues with breakfast buffets, which starts at 7AM and is, well, mediocre in quality.

To summarize, the Old Waverly offers an amazing location for exploring Edinburgh and neighboring attractions, but sorely lacks on amenities, service, and just about everything else. Bargain rates can often be found on the web, so this still is a place to consider if both location and budget are high on your priority. But if you have cash to burn, there are more attractive alternatives (like the Balmoral). I do not particularly recommend Old Waverly.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business