All reviews honeymoon suite huge bathroom quiet street high ceilings mini fridge york place princes street double room hotel is in a great location city centre within easy walking distance stayed here for one night tea and coffee visiting edinburgh royal mile sinks playhouse
Reviewed 16 November 2016

I recently stayed s at Albany Ballantrae. On arrival we were greeted by a very rude receptionist, we had been on the road since 3 am that morning, it would of been nice to get a warm welcome. We left our bags at reception and went off until we could check in. My partner was very unwell and when we returned our room was ready (room was nice) but it was very cold. One of the staff members did fix this issue for us, there was an airlock in the radiator. I know these things cannot be helped but all rooms should be checked prior to guests arrival. The bathroom was tiny but i have to say that didn't really bother me, what bothered me was the noise coming from the pipes and the vent was covered in dust. I know it is a listed building and there is certain things that cannot be changed but the noise was unbelievable, i went to complain at reception but there was nobody there and upon check out i was too tired to argue. Another disappointment was the so called breakfast, my goodness I have stayed in hostels whilst travelling and the breakfast there was 10 times better, you should be ashamed charging people for this. Stale bread, a few packs of cereal, a bit of fruit, meats that were not in a fridge and cold tea and to top it off a big hole in the ceiling that I know for a fact has been there for quite sometime. we were also left sitting in the bar for 15 minutes along with other guests waiting to be seated, you do not serve a hot breakfast so when you are busy in one area why cant you set up in the bar area as well? The drafts in the building were shocking i am gathering that is why the curtains are far to long for the window, our room looked out on to what i imagine used to be the back garden, this now looks like a jungle. On our last night one of your colleagues was very helpful, i did not catch her name but she helped us out by providing us with knives and forks as we were unable to get a table in any restaurant (which i think your staff should of informed guests upon arrival, that a lot was happening in the city the weekend so it would be wise to book a table for dinner). Your hotel should know public transport off hand or should at least have the time schedules of bus and trams to and from the airport and also the zoo. People rely on the hotel to know this information especially elderly groups. On a good note it is a great location and even though there are some faults it is a lovely building. Also the beds and pillows were quite comfy but it was a shame about the draft and the noise.

Room tip: Do not get a room on the ground floor, we had no choice as there is no lifts and my partner recently had a bad back injury.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Management360, Manager at Ballantrae Albany Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2016

Thank you for your review.
We are sorry to hear of the issues that you mention, and will be looked into immediately.
We always offer room only rates for guests who would prefer to have a cooked breakfast at one of the many restaurants and cafes that are located right next to the hotel.
We do hope that you return to the Albany again in the near future.
Kind regards

Reviewed 12 November 2016

staff friendly and helpful. decor needs updating. damp patches on ceilling, stair carpet fraying. teabags not replenished on daily basis. shower temperate too hot even on coldest setting.

good location, conveinient yet quiet.

Room tip: dont have basement room
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank di12016
Management360, Manager at Ballantrae Albany Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 November 2016

Thank you for your review.
The points you mention have been noted, but please be aware that the hotel was refurbished last year.
We hope that you return to the Albany again, where are sure that you will enjoy your stay.

Reviewed 11 November 2016 via mobile

Worst hotel I have ever stayed in , ok was single room but I wasn't expecting a cupboard under the stairs !! 4ft across , rickety furniture, tv adjacent to bed on wall , how are you meant to watch it !! 14 inch screen . No shelves in bathroom , joke of a shower , tepid water ! I slept in bigger beds when I was 10 ! Room next to main boiler which was humming all
Night ! I was booked for 2 nights but checked out after one and booked another hotel ! Why is this even designated a room , what an insult and joke .

1  Thank Bill M

We are sorry that you did not enjoy your recent stay.
It is a real shame that you decided to check out early but not mention that you were unhappy with your room until you were leaving late that afternoon as we could have arranged a change of room immediately.
As a listed townhouse, all our rooms are different, and we are sure that you could have chose another room which you would have liked.
Regards,

Reviewed 7 November 2016

Good location for the train station. Reception staff are very friendl. There is no lift, so you need to be fit or ask to stay on the ground floor. We were two floors up, lovely spacious room and bathroom. Quiet area to stay. The continental breakfast wasn't very special. We found a lovely restaurant at the end of the road called Treacle. Not a big menu but would certainly recommend it.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Management360, Manager at Ballantrae Albany Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 November 2016

Many thanks for you review.
We are glad that you enjoyed your room, and hope that you will be back in the near future.
Be sure to check out the great rates and exclusive deals on our website before you book.
Kind regards,

Reviewed 1 November 2016 via mobile

Some of the previous reviews are a little harsh, I feel.
Yes, if you look hard enough there is a little wear and tear, it is after all, an old townhouse.
The location is great, very close walk to everything. Its a very quiet street itself.
The rooms are spacious and clean. Very comfortable beds.
The staff were very friendly and helpful.
The bar/restaurant was closed on the evening I stayed, however the receptionist kindly still went in and got me a glass of wine.

Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank Hampstead30
Management360, Manager at Ballantrae Albany Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2016

Many thanks for your review.
We agree - some reviews can be harsh! But we are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us.
If you are to return, make sure to check out our website for the best possible rates and exclusive deals.
Kind regards,