Stayed here for 1 night to attend a wedding nearby.
Good points: Nice waterfront location, free parking, stylish decor, good size room (standard double), polite & friendly staff, comfortable bed, both bath and shower in bathroom.
Less good points: No air conditioning so our room was uncomfortably warm during night, even with window open in October.
Consistent low humming sound.
No complimentary bottled water in room - water supplied in minibar at typically inflated prices.
Shampoo & body wash provided in bathroom but no conditioner, body lotion, bath foam etc, which I would usually expect in a 4 star hotel and so hadn't brought with me.
No vegetarian breakfast on the menu. There are meat free options but I expected to see a vegetarian full breakfast and had been planning on ordering it!
There is a £2 per person surcharge for a cooked breakfast, which wasn't obvious to me when I made the reservation to include breakfast. My partner's full breakfast arrived without all the stated ingredients - this was quickly rectified by the waitress when he asked. The fire alarm then went off during our breakfast, which can't be helped, however there was a lack of direction from the staff and we all ambled outside without anyone clearly taking control or speaking loudly enough to be heard.
The lift is very shuddery and jolted suddenly when we stepped inside to the point that we both looked at each other in momentary panic. Also, the lift is very small so we had to wait several minutes as it was full each time it came past our floor. We went looking for the stairs instead and, finding a flight, descended to the bottom only to find we were at an alarmed fire exit and so we had to climb back up again.
Overall - it was acceptable for our purposes and for a quick stay but it didn't meet my expectations of a 4-star hotel and I was surprised at the lack of complimentary goods in the room and the lack of vegetarian or indeed vegan options on the hot breakfast menu.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- It's the mother of all Malmaison's. The former house of ill-repute now has a reputation that's second to none, and it's also just a short taxi ride away from Waverley Station. Malmaison Edinburgh bides at Leith (as they say up here), just a stone's throw from the Royal Yacht Britannia, but offering far more funky luxury. Yes, when you want exciting hotels in Edinburgh, this is the King, not the castle. Our Edinburgh hotel puts you close to all of Edinburgh's cobbled splendours, incredible shopping and famous galleries. Then it's back to Mal for Scots dining with a twist, a fine selection of single malts and mojitos in the bar and then back to the slinkiest and most spectacular rooms in the Scots capital. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Agoda, Expedia, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Malmaison Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Edinburgh Malmaison Hotel
- Malmaison Edinburgh
- Malmaison Hotel Edinburgh, Scotland