“Quick overnight stay”
Review of Malmaison Hotel

Malmaison Hotel
Ranked #96 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 8 October 2017

Stayed here for 1 night to attend a wedding nearby.
Good points: Nice waterfront location, free parking, stylish decor, good size room (standard double), polite & friendly staff, comfortable bed, both bath and shower in bathroom.
Less good points: No air conditioning so our room was uncomfortably warm during night, even with window open in October.
Consistent low humming sound.
No complimentary bottled water in room - water supplied in minibar at typically inflated prices.
Shampoo & body wash provided in bathroom but no conditioner, body lotion, bath foam etc, which I would usually expect in a 4 star hotel and so hadn't brought with me.
No vegetarian breakfast on the menu. There are meat free options but I expected to see a vegetarian full breakfast and had been planning on ordering it!
There is a £2 per person surcharge for a cooked breakfast, which wasn't obvious to me when I made the reservation to include breakfast. My partner's full breakfast arrived without all the stated ingredients - this was quickly rectified by the waitress when he asked. The fire alarm then went off during our breakfast, which can't be helped, however there was a lack of direction from the staff and we all ambled outside without anyone clearly taking control or speaking loudly enough to be heard.
The lift is very shuddery and jolted suddenly when we stepped inside to the point that we both looked at each other in momentary panic. Also, the lift is very small so we had to wait several minutes as it was full each time it came past our floor. We went looking for the stairs instead and, finding a flight, descended to the bottom only to find we were at an alarmed fire exit and so we had to climb back up again.
Overall - it was acceptable for our purposes and for a quick stay but it didn't meet my expectations of a 4-star hotel and I was surprised at the lack of complimentary goods in the room and the lack of vegetarian or indeed vegan options on the hot breakfast menu.

Room Tip: Take your own water & be prepared to open a window to keep the room cool.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,005)

Reviewed 6 October 2017

The picture location looked nice & the reviews although mixed wr generally good. Someone had stated the hotel was 1.4 miles from Edinburgh centre! More like 4.4. Our stay in the main was good. Decor tired but still nice. My purpose in writing this review is to let prospective customers know about the underhand practice they employ in their restaurant re their "discretionary" service charge. It's not discretionary, it's automatically included in the bill.When I signed for our meal there was no reference on it to a service charge so I tipped the waitress. It wasn't until I received my bill by email the next day that I saw I'd been charged £8.50 for service. (They had a power failure which lasted approximately 5 hours & when I checked out at 11.45 the IT systems wr still down.
My issue with malmaison is their deceitfulness in including this charge & telling customers in their literature that it was discretionary.

Stayed: September 2017
1  Thank M V
Reviewed 2 October 2017 via mobile

No air-con in the room and too noisy outside to open a window at night. I decided to remove the quilt from its cover and just use the quilt cover to sleep under and then I saw that the quilt was very badly stained. The next morning I went to use the iron which was broken. We cancelled the second night as we lost confidence in the place and the hotel tried to charge me £29 more than I had paid.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 October 2017 via mobile

Lovely hotel, great location, £6 Uber into the city center. We had a bit of a noisy room with works going on outside, Stuart the manager upgraded us to a suite and threw in some drinks, even came and helped us move our stuff. Proper gent. Would definitely stay again.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 October 2017 via mobile

Wonderful location, lots of good restaurants and bars nearby. It takes c30mins to walk to Princes Street in the centre and a bus takes 10mins (£1.60 each way!)

Room was good, clean towels every day. We dined at the restaurant, a little expensive but I would say value for money.

Highly recommend this as an alternative to the city centre hotels.

Stayed: October 2017