“Worst than expected”
Review of Malmaison Hotel

Malmaison Hotel
Ranked #95 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 22 August 2011

The hotel is located in Leith, a very charming and convenient place to visit Edinburgh by car (8 minutes from city centre, parking available at all time, bar and restaurants). Unfortunately this was the only pro! Just arrived and receptionist was not able to find our reservation, then our standard room turns out to be a room for disable people! This could be good if you need it but not if you have to use a dwarf basin!
Overall the room needs improvement and I'm quite happy to stay there just for one night!

Room Tip: Standard room comes with a double bed, and sitting area
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,033)

Reviewed 19 August 2011

this hotel is a bit out of the way from the main city centre but close to shopping and the royal yacht/docks area, there seemed to be quite a few lovely places to eat/drink nearby but we didnt get the chance to try, roome wasokay, the ben was excellent and the food was gorgeous, only let down was the deposit they asked for of £100.00, seemed a bit daft considering we were only staying a few nights

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 August 2011

The location was excellent .. and we has a great time staying for 4 nights.
Very clean with tasteful decor ,staff were friendly and the breakfast was good.

Just for the hotel to improve their bit ,
I personally felt there was not much ineraction from the staffs .. the reception was quiet a bit inside and unless you walk there on purpose you never get to meet anybody to greet or for an hello .. most of the time i felt anyone can just walk in to the building unnoticed.
but that again is not a complaint , some people might like this as it gives more privacy but not for me .. :)

if I visit Ediburgh again this hotel would be my first choice ...

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kavin R
Reviewed 9 August 2011

We stayed here on sunday 7th August for two nights and loved every minute of it! The hotel is like all the other Malmaisons I have stayed in, stylish and cool. The location is perfect for getting into town, and there are also some amazing bars and restaurants on the doorstep. We were given a large room overlooking the river with a small seating area. There was a bottle of fizz, some chocolate dipped strawberries and a plate of goodies all prepared for us in out room on arrival becaue we let them know it was our wedding anniversary. The bed was gigantic and the bathtub was soooo deep! truly felt spoilt. I love the Malmaison and would recommend it to anyone, you get a little bit of luxury for a bargain price! Big thumbs up to to everyone that made it a weekend to remember.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank newbrideStirling
Reviewed 30 July 2011

I often stay at the Malmaison in Edinburgh for work where the office is 30 seconds away (no exaggeration). I always look forward to staying at the Malmaison as it's very much styled as a boutique hotel. The concept is lovely, decor beautiful, staff are very friendly and attentive and rooms stunning. Throughout this stay I decided to have dinner here for the first time. I usually only have breakfast and then find a restaurant locally for dinner. The breakfast first of all is amazing. With breakfast added on at the time of booking, you will get a continental buffet, toast, coffee/tea and then you can order something from the menu - stuffed all day! The dinner I had was simply amazing. The menu was plentiful and had a great selection of foods anyone would be a fan of. I opted for snails to start and the Mal Burger for my main. The house red is a Malbec Shiraz, very good tasty wine. The seating is fantastic. Dining alone I was seated at a nice table with a divider. Book in hand, I was in heaven. The rooms are very comfortable and amenities are just right. The usual - shower gel, conditioner, body cream but all lovely bottles of the stuff. Cotton wool, buds. They've taken care of lots of stuff I didn't bother to pack. Helps the easyjet luggage allowance!

The only drawback I would say - is - the breakfast staff are slow on the uptake. Two mornings in a row I had come down for breakfast and been seated for just under 10 minutes before making eye contact or actually asking someone if I could order. The evening service was not like that at all. Perhaps they assumed I didn't want to order from the menu. I would give them the benefit of the doubt and say perhaps they are busy but they weren't. Two members of staff setting tables whilst there were many empty tables already set and no one waiting to be seated? That isn't acceptable. Also, whilst the complimentary toast is a great idea, there is potential waste. Some people don't eat bread in the morning. Also depending on what you're ordering from the menu, you may not want toast. I ordered boiled eggs with soldiers. Lovely, filling, and so no toast necessary. It's a very generous offering but I saw many waiters returning uneaten toast to the kitchen which is such a waste. I'd be interested in staying at other malmaisons (for pleasure, not work mind).

Room Tip: They are all fantastically pleasant rooms with no noise
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business