“One of the best hostels in Europe!”
Review of Castle Rock Hostel

Castle Rock Hostel
Reviewed 23 September 2011

Clean rooms, hot showers, internet access, great breakfast, and a friendly staff--what more could you ask for!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Castle Rock Hostel

Reviewed 27 August 2011

I only stayed one night but had a list of quite definite positives and negatives about this hostel. It was a bargain but was not that much cheaper than one I stayed in in Dublin earlier this year which was far better.

Positives - the price, a great, laid-back and welcoming atmosphere and mix of guests, brilliant position literally next to the Castle, a couple of really nice lounge rooms, free tea and coffee, lots of character and pretty clean and tidy.

Negatives - I felt a 12 bed dorm with not even a wash basin was taking "basic" a bit too far (as I said, for only a few pounds more in Dublin I was in a six bedder with a brand new ensuite bathroom), the room was absolutely roasting hot and quite a distance from the toilets and showers and minimal storage space; beds are pre-allocated with no option to express a preference - I was on a top bunk which I hate, but was unable to swap, nowhere secure to leave luggage on check-in/ out day - bags just had to be left in the lounge room, (although reception would hold valuables and perhaps just my experience, but actually a reasonable distance from many of the Fringe venues which are at the opposite end of the Royal Mile - downhill on the way, up on the way back! Also steeply uphill from Waverly Station.

Overall, I accept that for this price, there are going to be a number of compromises, and it was fine for one night but for much longer I would want to be in a smaller dorm with a lower bunk and at least a wash basin.

Room Tip: Try to ask in advance if you have a preference for top/ bottom bunk.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank NSW78
Reviewed 16 August 2011

This is a hostel I won't forget in a hurry. It wasn't particularly bad or particularly good, just memorable. If it's style and comfort you are after don't come here. If it's character and interesting people, this place has both in spades. I'm not saying that all the people are interesting or even friendly but they'll be someone worth talking to there. Or at least someone worth observing, like the guy who decided to use our dorm floor as a urinal one night.

I'm not sure what the building itself was like as it was covered in scaffolding and undergoing major restoration work both inside and out. Then again most of Edinburgh seems to be going through the same thing at the moment. My dorm was pretty big but quite old and shabby. As I said, the place is full of character. The kitchen and living areas are pretty big which is just as well as it's a big hostel.

The staff are very friendly and super easy going. The location is supurb, right under Edinburgh Castle and a five minute walk to the Royal Mile. I had a huge bag of laundry washed and dried overnight for less that I would pay to do it myself at a laundrette. The wifi was pretty slow though.

Most importantly though, it is cheap. Very cheap. I paid nine quid a night for my dorm. You won't do much better than that anywhere.

Room Tip: The Scottish Castles room was the makeshift urinal for one of the nights I was there. Check it out.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 August 2011

I have thought about this hostel every day since I've returned to the states.
I was going thru some real hard days, having been the victim of s violent crime in London. I rented a car and drove north to glasgow, which was not my fav city in the world... Accidentally took the Edinburgh exit, and so glad I did!
I arrived at the hostel at midnight, got the last bed, and stayed up all night talking to the desk staff...

The next three days, I chilled in the common rooms and explored the city... All the while, my hostel home waited for me, and was ready for my weary head.

I had to go to the police as well as the US Consulate in Edinburgh and both places I was asked if I felt safe from harm. My reply was that this was the safest and most welcoming hostel I've seen... The US representative at the consulate said she was glad I was at Castle Rock because she knows how safe it is!

I never felt anything but welcomed and appreciated. One morning, a female staff member even went out of her way to get me a shaver for my hairy legs!

I miss the staff and the paintings and the music and the feeling I got upon entering... My official Home Away from Home!

• Stayed: June 2011
1  Thank Carriehowser1
Reviewed 4 August 2011

We stayed here in a 12-bed dorm room and had a great experience.
It is perhaps a 5-minute walk to the castle. The staff was very friendly. The decor is fun and funky. The showers are hot, and even though there are a LOT of rooms and people, we never had to wait long for a turn.
In the morning there is some breakfast available (for a small fee), but there are also two huge kitchens, so we never had a hard time making food.
Overall, we really enjoyed it and would gladly stay there again!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple