“You pay for the location”

Auld Reekie Apartments
Ranked #145 of 218 Speciality Lodging in Edinburgh
Reviewed 30 June 2015

We spent 3 nights in the Royal Mile Apt 2, a family of 5. I am overall ok with my stay but I would not say I am happy due to the price of the appartment.
Because it is an appartment and not a hotel, witohout the "perks" and "price" of an Airbnb appartment.

1. The location is great. Right on the Royal Mile, 10 minute walk from the train station and main sights.
2. The appartment is roomy, but the sofa bed is TERRIBLE. Anyone who sleeps in it will have back problems or a bad sleeping experience. It is really a 4 person appartment in terms of sleeping.
3. There is a full kitchen but no sugar, salt, oil, and basic groceries, which, for a 3 day stay seems silly to buy (with AirBnB at least you have a basically stocked fridge and pantry for breakfast).
4. The living room + one room along the road have paper thin windows. You can hear people in the street whisper to each other (except they don't whisper.. they talk or shout) and every car passing is like an airplane.

All in all, it was a good experience but given the price paid, we were hoping for a higher standard.

• Stayed: June 2015, travelled with family
1  Thank Mathilde C

Reviewed 4 October 2014 via mobile

First: very good location by the Royal mile and plenty of space in the apartment. But: the noise from the street and the nearby pubs made it impossible to sleep. The window glasses were so thin that you could hear people talk normally on the street below. I do also like to be welcommed by the host. We didn't see any host at all. The key were stored in a safe by the door. The price level are way too high compared to what is offered. I will not recommend this apartment.

Stayed: October 2014
Reviewed 22 September 2014 via mobile

This apt is all about location, which we wanted. Right on the royal mile which can't be beat, close to pretty much everything. For that the place is perfect... but some things to know before hand, it is on the 4th floor, allot of steps multiple times a day. The apt is for 4 people, the bedroom had 2 single beds, which are comfortable, but the other bed accommodation is a hide a bed in the living area and not comfortable at all!!! We had to put couch cushions and accent pillows under the sheet to try and get some comfort. The kitchen was great and functional and a good size, there is a clothes washer, but no dryer. But we did find a drying rack in one of the closets. The tv did not work, no matter what we tried and we could not get the phone to work either. Which made ordering a taxi to the airport a challenge. We informed them of these things so hopefully they will be fixed.

Stayed: September 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank mamasmith62
Reviewed 16 September 2014

Stayed with my wife and in-laws in July 2013. I was looking for something where we could have a bit more "family life", since in hotels you usually just go to your rooms and have to agree on a time to meet. These apartments were exactly what we were looking for!
Location is realy good. Not central, but we did not want all the fuss from the centre. It's residential and quiet, and you get to live like the locals do. We took a cab from the train station and arrrived in less than 10 minutes. There were some convenience stores and pubs nearby, nothing major but we were able to do some grocery shopping which was necessary.
The apartment itself was great. Two bedrooms and two bathrooms, a very nice kitchen (fully equipped) and a large, cosy living room where we were able to chat and rest between outings. Everything was good quality, not fancy or trendy at all, but furniture you could have at your home... and it certainly felt like that!
The building is located on a very quiet street bordering Holyrood, where we went hiking one day. From the apartments you could take a short bus or even walk (around 30 mins) to the centre and beyond. We made a light breakfast everyday and usually came back in the evening for regouping before we had dinner. We also liked to have a few night caps when we came back before going to bed.
In short, a delightful stay, and if I ever go to Edinburgh with family or friends again, I will surely consider these apartments first.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 August 2014

We were located on the Royal Mile which was fantastic. We were only in Edinburgh for a couple of days so it was nice be so close to everything. Since we were there on a weekend, we were able to park for free just around the corner. The parking is free until 8:00am Monday morning and with an early flight, this was not a problem. There is also a pay parking garage very close any other time. Finding the location was interesting, but we had done a google map street view of the address they sent so we could get an idea of where we were going. There is a restaurant right beside the apartment's entrance which is a good landmark. At least on the weekend, we were able to park right out front to unload and load and then moved our car one street over because walking the city is very easy from this location. We were pleasantly surprised once we finally got into the apartment after some lock box issues. There are two boxes and the black one is the one that goes with the apartment not the beige one. The apartment was really big compared to some of the other places we had stayed during our vacation. The pull out sofa sleeper is very, very uncomfortable, so if you have back problems, make sure you take one of the twin beds. The twin beds were very good. We actually booked this place not only because of the location but because we needed the washing machine. There isn't soap for the machine included, but I knew this because I had emailed the owner before we left. The owners are very responsive to email. I knew how many loads I would be doing while we were gone, so I just brought those Tide pod things while in the states and had them in my luggage ready to go when we arrived in Edinburgh. The pods did fine in the luggage, but I did put them in a seal-tight bag just in case they did burst in flight. As mentioned in the title, there are a lot of stairs with no lift that we could determine. The stairs are very difficult and would not be recommended for anyone with issues with climbing while carrying things. The other issue with the stairs is that the hobo or homeless folks somehow get in and then sleep, pee and smoke under the stairs. We typically let my daughter be pretty independent while we travel, but the hobo made me nervous and my daughter and I made sure that either my son or my husband was with us when going up and down from the street to the apartment. I'm sure they were harmless and we were never approached, but it still gave me pause and I didn't like it very much. The door to the apartment has a lock and they shouldn't be able to get in, but the were there every morning during our stay. Vagrants are part of city living though, so this shouldn't be held against the apartment, just something to be aware of if you are by yourself or have young kids. The final thing I wanted to mention is the street noise. It is there, yes, but just bring earplugs and you will be good. You cannot beat the location. In fact, everything goes right past the apartment doors...airport bus, city bus and even ghost tours! It's a pretty neat place as long as you can overlook the climb, hobo under the stairs and street noise.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family