“Great Sushi ”

Ranked #1,064 of 2,755 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Neighbourhood: West End
Neighbourhood: West End
Reviewed 25 September 2017 via mobile

I visited this restaurant at the weekend with my family and will definitely be going again when I'm next in Edinburgh. We shared some sushi, seaweed salad and the beef ramen. Service was quick and the sushi was some of the best I've ever had. Was really good value for money too. You can watch the chefs preparing the food so you know it's all freshly made. Can't wait to go back again.

Reviewed 19 September 2017

Thanks to a positive review in the list, we went here for the Omakase experience.
We were seated right at the Sushi bar with a perfect view of the preparation area.

One of the two Japanese chefs welcomed us and explained to us that Omakase meant something like "I leave it up to you (the chef)" and how only a few hidden busy restaurants in Japan will offer you this.
For £ 48 per person, we each got 12 small courses (mainly single sushi pieces), which we washed down with free green tea and 4 different sake for an extra £ 10 each.

I am glad I went with the matching sake, after initially considering not to, based on my experience with sake up till then. All 4 sake were very different and worked extremely well with the different flavours.

After three (tuna, salmon, sea bream) sashimi served with freshly grated wasabi (WOW!), we got a couple of slices of octopus with seaweed salad. The octopus was fantastic: great texture and incredible taste.
Followed by 10 courses of Sushi (mainly Nigiri) with some very creative adaptions of the more standard versions. Highlights for me were the smoked white tuna and the barbecued eel. Having said that, all of the other pieces were really nice as well, even the simple sweet in form of home made omelette nigiri.
The experience was made even more special by the chef's very interesting explanation of each course.
Looking forward to going back there and trying out the "a la carte" experience and may be try to get one of their Japanese low tables.

Reviewed 16 September 2017 via mobile

The Omakase (chef's choice) is an excellent and entertaining dinner. The chef talks you through each of 12 small courses as he prepares them in front of you. There are some very good standards (lovely tempura prawn roll and also scallops) but the more unusual ones are the highlights such as marinated octopus, barbecued eel (fantastic soft texture) and smoked tuna ( presented under a glass dome filled with hickory smoke). We chose to have the sake selection with the meal and it was a revelation of flavours that complimented each course. There were 4 Sakes, each one showed great variation depending on the food match. Thoroughly recommended.

1  Thank alecw222
Reviewed 9 September 2017 via mobile

It's my second time in the venue and it hasn't disappointed me. The chicken ramen was amazing. The curry ramen was ok but a but too spicy for me. The soft crab roll was freshly made and delicious!

Reviewed 8 September 2017 via mobile

Had a great experience here with fresh and tasty food . The staff were very helpful and the layout of the place is cool . I would definitely pay it a visit when ur in Edinburgh it a must .