“Excellent”

Price range: US$7 - US$47
Neighbourhood: New Town
Neighbourhood: New Town
Reviewed 5 June 2016

Fan of the original restaurant in North Queensferry, so my husband and I were very keen to give this a shot. We went in for lunch one day, and opted to try the menu de jour - £20 for three courses. For each course, there is a choice of two dishes - we opted to have one of each, to allow us to sample each others. We weren't disappointed. I had tomato gazpacho (something I wouldn't usually chose, but glad I did) with pickled crab followed by perfectly cooked cod! My husband had ham hock terrine, followed by wood pigeon and mushroom rice - this was outstanding! For dessert, I had the chocolate slice - which was the perfect size! My husband had the cheese - a very generous portion of cheddar!

We were advised by our waitress that the menu de jour had smaller portion sizes than the main menu, however no complaints from us - we felt comfortably full afterwards, and was nice to have all three courses and not just stick at two!

We'll be back and will sample the a la carte menu!

PS The chairs are very stylish and incredibly comfortable! Good choice!

Reviewed 4 June 2016 via mobile

The food was great, but the menu is limited, which is fine too if you like something on it. Fortunately we all found something we liked. My friends felt the portions were a little small for the price, this is not a cheap night out. We each had two courses and some wine and the bill was £200.

Staff were courteous and attentive.

2  Thank Mark W
Reviewed 24 May 2016

this is the new sister restaurant to the one in North Queensferry. Although a bit larger than its sister it matches the friendly charm and lovely food of its older relative. The menu is a little larger to reflect the extra tables. The daily lunch specials are a great idea for those who want a lighter alternative. My daughter and I had lunch here last Saturday. Unusually it was quite empty, but this was easily explained by the football matches on that day. We both started with the salad of saucisson with artichoke crisps and Gruyère shavings. The saucisson was thinly sliced and the artichoke crisps delightful. The leaves were fresh and varied. Altogether an excellent light starter. I followed with a wood pigeon tartlet, onion confit, caramelised walnuts with a beetroot dressing. The tartlet (a round of the lightest flakiest pastry I have ever had was topped wood pigeon was beautifully cooked and the caramelised walnuts were gorgeous. While my daughter went for the Grey Sole Nicoise,, fine beans, new potatoes, sun-dried tomatoes & soft boiled egg. This was despatched in record time. It looked attractive and obviously tasted delicious. I finished with an excellent cheeseboard while W. enthused about her rhubarb ile flotant. All washed down with a crisp rose and followed by excellent coffee and peppermint tea with homemade mint sugar (see photo)
The service was friendly and efficient and our every request was fulfilled with a smile.
This restaurant echoes all the principles already established north of the Forth. I will certainly be returning and would not hesitate to recommend it.

Reviewed 21 May 2016 via mobile

So I would like to count myself as a regular visitor of the North Queensferry wee restaurant - small menu, fab food , awesome service.
So I was keen to try their new venture in Edinburgh City centre. ( Frederick st)
Keeping a cosy atmosphere with only seating for 30 ish .. Today s first visit was an absolute treat! The ambiance is lovely, the comfy chairs ( are better than the original restaurant ) the staff - just as amazingly friendly and helpful. Everyone is able to describe the food to you and nothing (if you ask) is a problem.
The menu options are more varied that the NQ counterpart but the staple favourites dishes - steak frites, moules and chicken parfait all feature.

Today we had the lighter lunch menu table de jour 2 course for £16 ... I had saucisson salade with Gruyere shaves and artichoke crisps to start, followed by sole nicoise and finishing with rhubarb Ille Anglais
( probably spelt all that wrong)

The food was awesome- Marine- looking after us was a dream, nothing too much trouble.

The rose house wine was also perfectly coiffable.

The finale for me was peppermint tea , accompanied by their delicious homemade chocolate fudge ! Topped with the offer of mint sugar ( which I had to try, even though I don't take sugar- just yummy)
Don't go here if you want massive portions... But if you want to be full after 3 courses with beautifully presented and tasting food - please go. Don't forget to buy some black olive tampenade to take home .. Mmmmm

Thank you 'wee restaurant ', we'll be back soon
:-)

Reviewed 18 May 2016 via mobile

Tried this new restaurant. Nice menu but not a huge amount of choices. I chose lamb which was ok, not the best I've had. I thought the steak price was pretty steep so didn't choose that. Service excellent and very friendly. Overall quite expensive. Would rather head to other options in town.