Low Kirkbride Farm
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Dumfries
See available hotels
  • Breakfast included
Abbey Arms Hotel(New Abbey)
Average 3/5
  • Restaurant
Good 3.5/5
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsbelted gallowaywood burning stovesitting roomyogurtjoesheepcattlescotland
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 21 April 2015

I booked a 3-day stay very much at the last minute, I wanted somewhere near to Thornhill and just took a chance on Low Kirkbride farm. Not being overly familiar with the area, I had little idea what to expect, but I shall keep my use of superlatives concise to get in as many as I can, but primarily the whole stay was unbelievable value for money. I was greeted on arrival with coffee and cakes which I enjoyed in the large lounge by the open fire. Probably the best night's sleep in an unfamiliar bed I've ever had. The shower was superb, hot and powerful, better than I have at home! The view from the room over the fields and hills was breathtaking. And when it came to breakfast in the farmhouse dining room, well, it set me up for the whole day and Zan makes the best poached eggs ever! One "extra" I've never encountered before was the provision of a pair of binoculars in the room for guests to take out with them during their stay. I'm writing this review a few weeks after my first stay, having already returned a second time. It won't be my last.

• Stayed: February 2015, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 2 April 2015

This farm surpassed all expectations. The family were wonderful, friendly and approachable. The cheese house is quaint, warm and with everything required to ensure an enjoyable stay. I was fortunate enough to be staying during the lambing season and was able to help feed the lambs that required it.
I will most definitely return, next time with my niece and nephew. The views are stunning with many walks.
A must stay if you are looking for accommodation in Dumfries.

• Stayed: March 2015, travelled solo
1  Thank Kay R
Reviewed 19 January 2015

We arrived Friday evening around 9pm with dog in tow. The owner Zan greeted us, dealt with our border terrier jack russell mix and generously removed her cat immediately before bringing us tea and cake by the very warm fire. Our double room was very comfortable and warm, with a large bathtub perfect for a post walk soak. We ate dinner there on the Sunday and Zan worked the Aga like magic to produce an excellent meal. This is my first review on this site and happy to report we would stay again and enjoyed the professionalism, comfort and splendid views.

Room Tip: This is a remote farm in Dumfries Galloway, perfect for hiking and seeing beautiful coastline and countryside. The rooms vary and suit friends, couples or families.
  • Stayed: January 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 January 2015

We spent a lovely night at Low Kirkbride as we made our way south-east. We were welcomed enthusiastically by Zan and Chloe, the cat, on our arrival. There was tea and biscuits and delicious cake ready for us in the lounge room, and a warm fire.

As we arrived quite late, we had asked for an evening meal, and enjoyed a hearty and delicious feast. Breakfast was likewise lovely, with farm-grown eggs and sausages, and all other food sourced locally.

The room with ensuite was warm and cosy, comfortable and well appointed, with tea and coffee (real coffee! and plunger!) and the bathroom was excellent - plenty of hot water to warm up before bed-time.

We would definitely love to stay at Low Kirkbride again in the future.

Stayed: January 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 December 2014

We have made several visits, staying for several days at a time, over the last ten years or so. Sometimes to be near relations we wish to visit and at other times to go fishing in nearby rivers. Always we have been made very welcome and have been shown great kindness by our generous hosts: we have become very good friends. We are grateful to be able to take our dog with us and enjoy walks on the farm. Once we were privileged to stay at Christmas time so that we could be with a very elderly relative on Christmas Day.

Room Tip: For families the self catering facilities in the cheese room are very good. All bedrooms have en-suite bath/shower rooms.
  • Stayed: December 2014, travelled with family