2,386 results
All reviews kids club gin palace table tennis refurbished room front facing tennis courts signature room swimming pool grand hotel games room pitch and putt gin tasting new owners leisure facilities bit dated steam room bunk beds
Reviewed 20 May 2018 via mobile

We recently stayed for a friends party and having heard so much about the venue, my wife and I were excited about using what little time we have away to stay there.

The room decor resembled an army barracks, for a big room it was claustrophobic and the beds were so uncomfortable compared to a premier travel inn.

We secured a deal on itison and then were told we couldn’t use it for the dates we asked as it was a bank holiday. No fine print or anything was on the deal and as such we were forced to pay the full amount. An extreme considerable amount.

We won’t be back, they responded by saying they would give an upgrade on their £140 plus rooms..I think not, I won’t pay that to get an upgrade. Was then told we would get a 10% reduction on their standard rate which works out the same. Disappointing stay and certainly won’t be back after a poor experience like that from a value point of view.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled with friends
4  Thank compassprodrive1
Guest Relations M, Guest Relations Manager at Peebles Hydro, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2018

Thank you for your comments compassprodrive1. Sorry to hear that you feel as you do and that you found your recent stay to be disappointing. We are currently about half way through our refurbishment programme and will certainly take your comments on board.

Reviewed 20 May 2018

Overall a good stay we would come again, however the hotel needs to refine / polish up a few things to be the trendy new fun place its reinventing itself as.

We booked this trip via an itson offer, £99 for dinner (£20 pound each towards our meal) bottle of prosseco in our room (chilled in an ice bucket on arrival) double bed family room and breakfast.

On arrival we checked in smoothly and had room 332 on the third floor. So caught the lift to the third floor. Out of the lift there's a small porch which needs repainted. Then the corridor definitely has serious vibes from the shining. If twin girls had appeared I would had run screaming.
I think new carpets would go a long way to removing the fear factor.
Unfortunely the corridor smelt of an old peoples home with that dodgy musty smell lingering. I think a carpet shampoo or replacing the ceiling tiles, some of which were water stained would go a long way.

But our room when we got to it was lovely. Absolutely stunning views.
Recently redecorated. Great bed with fabric head board, bunk beds (it was a family room) and bathroom looks fully refurbished and really nice.

Only bad points was the wardrobe and dressing table looked left over from before the rennovation and it shows. Cheap nasty and wobbly (wardrobe). The room could also benefit from a fridge / mini bar. Unfortunately when showering in the morning at 10am no hot water left....

So we had drinks before the meal. The gin palace area looks lovely we took a drink into the sun room beyond it and the furniture here also needs replaced.
The gin palace appeared to be infrequently staffed.

We then moved to the cocktail bar. Very dissapointing cocktails for 9 pounds, took 10 minutes and were not good (french mojitos). Nice decor friendly bar staff. Just need more training I think.

Then we had our meal which was really good. The staff were great.

We then went back to the gin palace, no staff there again. Got a drink at the bar beside the palace and went through to the cocktail bar. A live singer and piano played cheesy tunes which we loved.

In the morning we went for a swim, sauna and Jacuzzi. All very nice, but basic more council pool feeling than spa pool.

Then breakfast we arrived a 920 and it was carnage. Took 20mins to get tea and coffee. Others has to queue out the door to get seated. There was a lack of staff I think. However breakfast itself was very good quality not at all greasy.

So we would return but there are a fair few areas that just need that little bit of effort to make it a great trip.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us Muzza_1000. It was great to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay but we were sorry to learn that other areas fell short during your visit and we will certainly take your feedback on board. We do hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 17 May 2018 via mobile

I enjoyed the stay but I think that was more down to me being relaxed than the place itself. Peebles is a bit grim despite the great weather.
Nice grounds, rooms are super clean, however they are in need of updating.
My biggest issue is the food. Dinner was awful at best. Tasteless soup, horrible burger and McDonald’s style fries.
I thought it couldn’t get worse then.... breakfast. Tough sausages, rubber eggs and the pastries were raw!

Only visit if you get a good price.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dave S
Guest Relations M, Guest Relations Manager at Peebles Hydro, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2018

Many thanks for your feedback Dave S, sorry that you felt some areas fell short. The team are working very hard to make improvements across the property and we are confient, should you return, you will see many postitive changes.

Reviewed 14 May 2018 via mobile

I booked this as a bit family time. Lovely weather and on arrival the hotel looked quiet but busy found it instantly relaxing. The open doors to events halls with badminton and table tennis set up meant the boys (8&9) didn't have a boredom excuse. Lovely open friendly feeling hotel. I found the leisure facilities very relaxing. The pool was lovely and nice towels as well. The family room was surprisingly large with a great king size bed, bunks and a sitting area. The bathroom appeared recently refurbished and was very clean. I loved this hotel but was so let down with dining options. It felt as if you where in a school dinner hall. The menu wasn't to my taste but that's a personal thing. However the lady at reception described an 'a la carte menu' - eh no anything but!!! Camberland sausage and mash? I got the £25 ribeye steak which was small overdone and served with Macdonald chips. For £25 the chips should have been hand cut. We didn't bother with dessert as both of us didn't like sitting in the hall. We went into the lobby and played with our children and relaxed listening to the pianist. Overall I loved the hotel and staff and facilities but the food (which is a huge part of parents) really let it down. Breakfast was average although I had to ask for coffee and the teenager was very grumpy when I asked for a pot. If I go back I will eat in Peebles.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
Guest Relations M, Guest Relations Manager at Peebles Hydro, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2018

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback Clareannmcshane. It was lovely to read your positive comments about the hotel but we were so sorry to hear that you felt that the quality of the food let the hotel down. We will certainly take your feedback on board and hope that this will not deter you from a future visit to Peebles Hydro.

Reviewed 13 May 2018 via mobile

We did an overnight stay beginning of May. We were in room 50 on the first floor. It was nicely updated and had a view from the front of the hotel. The hotel was easy to find and had plenty of parking and off the main road so it was quiet. Breakfast buffet was good and plenty of choice. Would definitely stay again if we pass by this way

Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback TeresaPai. It was great to hear that you had enjoyed your stay and your updated room. We are currently about half way through the refurbishment programme and do hope that you will visit us again and see further improvements.