New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Corriemar Guest House

Corriemar Guest House
Ranked #58 of 99 Oban B&B and Inns
Argyll and Bute, United Kingdom
“Nice B & B, friendly staff, good breakfasts”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2011

My wife and I stayed for 3 nights on the September weekend. The owner was very friendly on arrival, and every time we met her, and other staff were also friendly. The room was great with fabulous sea views, very spacious, and a reasonable sized en-suite with shower cubicle. Room was well furnished, and suitable for the size and style. The breakfasts were good, with a varied selection apart from only orange juice. Plenty tea and toast was provided. Could not fault our stay, but maybe a 3 star, not 4. Would recommend to others. Situated on main road, and not on a side street, as other reviewer stated. Ample parking in front of building, and free street parking. About a 10 minute walk to town centre.

Room Tip: Ask for room with sea view, as Oban is a very busy port.
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
donra, Owner at Corriemar Guest House, responded to this review, 19 September 2012
Many thanks for those kind words.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2011

After having booked a room with twin beds we were shown to an excessively furnished and cramped room with a heavy four poster and a single bed – as Sandra was not very approachable we accepted it without question until I looked at my paper-work and discovered this could mean difficulties later as the cost was much higher. We went down to tell Sandra of the mistake but she met us on the stairs and spoke first and told us we would have to move into another room as she had given us the wrong room. It was already around 7.30 pm and we had travelled a long way and been caught in a traffic delay caused by an unfortunate car accident a few miles from Oban. We asked if we could have dinner first and move when we returned but were refused this option. Sandra did come and help us to move some of the bags but was rather brusque. She insisted we filled out our breakfast menu before we went to dinner and left our car keys behind as the parking spots are tandem ones and “Someone may need to move your car”. We actually found the less excessively furnished twin room much more to our taste and it had more space to move.

The only greeting at breakfast was, “Room number?” with no smile or welcome. As the meal progressed it felt like we were part players in an Agatha Christie movie as all the guests - crammed tightly into the dining room - continued to studiously ignore each other and the waitresses ran around trying to get everyone fed and out of the breakfast room in record time. We were just hoping that we would be suspects and not victims when the movie “plot” was revealed!

Because the views from the windows were so spectacular we sat for a while after breakfast in the excessively furnished Victorian Parlour but the Wi-Fi connection would not work there and was not available in the bedroom. After ringing the bell in the hall for attention - it turned out that Sandra had turned the internet connection off and she spent some time defending the lack of connection due to some problem they had been having. When she turned the connection on I was able to get a brief connection – about two minutes - while sitting with my computer balanced on my knee in the front hall passage – that was the only connection able to be made during our three night stay – Sandra’s defence of this reminded me of her answers to all the critical reviews of Corriemar House here on Trip Advisor. Nothing is ever her fault!

Never have I seen such excess in furnishing except in movies or stately homes – I think there would have been a seat in the lounge for every one of the guests in all 20 rooms – and the excesses of ornaments and cushions and decanters and … “stuff” just incredible!

I should record here that I am a fan of antiques and period furnishings and although I have described and included photos of the decorating excesses of Corriemar House, I must really include one last picture I took as I was leaving. I could never have imagined a front hall looking like this – all that is missing is the aspidistra! No – not true; the main thing that was missing from this place was a warm and friendly atmosphere from either the owner, or any of the staff.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank travellersfriend303

Travellers are raving about these Oban hotels

Moerfelden-Walldorf, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2011

During our 1 week holiday in Scotland we had a one night stopover in Oban and we have choosen the Corriemar. This house is furnished with love and well kept. The reception was friendly. The choice of different breakfast menues for the next day is excellent. We had the room with sea-view and the four-poster-bed, which was lovely to sleep in. The house is situated in a side street but close to the city center.

Room Tip: Ask for sea view, the four-poster-bed and internet availability if needed.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Many thanks for your review.
Manchester
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2011

We stayed for three nights in September as part of a 9-night holiday. We were greeted by the owner who was very friendly.
Unusually we had to select our breakfast the night before. On the first morning we both had a cooked Scottish breakfast which was really quite poor and colourless. We were so put off we had the continental breakfast option (1 croissant with jam only) for the rest of our stay. The breakfast choices were quite limited - there was no fruit salad on the first day. The staff seemed to get confused by simple requests (e.g. for toast and coffee) and the breakfast period seemed quite chaotic!
Our room had an amazing double-aspect view across the Oban bay however the room itself was in need of modernising and decorating - the rug was threadbare in places, the room (and the whole house) was full of tat and we got the feeling the cushions and duvet cover weren't that clean.
Overall a bit of a let down given that the room was comparably expensive.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Hooper_11
Glasgow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2011

I was very disappointed with our stay at Corriemar, from the moment I stepped inside in fact. We were asked to pay prior to even seeing the room & practically before hello was issued. I felt this to be very rude and untrusting. Even the best places I've stayed in we haven't paid prior to leaving. The owner was rather curt and unfriendly.

The room was nice, had it not been for the rubbish view (I appreciate not all rooms are front facing!) and damp & peeling wallpaper in the bathroom. There was absolutely no little shampoo's or shower gel either, not quite 4 star. Breakfast was awful, I opted for salmon and scrambled eggs - there was a slither of salmon and the scrambled eggs looked microwaved with egg shell in it. Not appetising. My partner opted for continental....one croissant, hardly sets you up for the day.

It was over priced for what it was, the service was prompt but unfriendly and I wouldn't go again, nor would I recommend.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Miss_Kitten
donra, Owner at Corriemar Guest House, responded to this review, 15 September 2011
This review is an edited repost and has already been answered, however I will do so again.
The guests should know that they are due to pay on arrival as it is stated on the Tourist board booking form. For example a booking made for the 19th is due to be paid on the 19th. There is no wall paper in any bathroom in this house! I do not think any views from any room are not nice, the trees viewed at the side and back of the house are certainly more appealing than looking at something in a built up area. This room is very popular and is requested by guests who stay with us on a regular basis, there are two windows in the bedroom and one in the spacious bathroom.
No one has ever only had a slither of salmon from me and most persons are able to communicate their needs if neccessary. There is a lot more to eat at the buffet table and it cannot be missed as it sits at the entrance door of the Dining room.