Corriemar Guest House
TripAdvisor
  • Bar/Lounge
TripAdvisor
  • Restaurant
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsknick knackslovely sitting roomspent one night herewarm welcomenice guesthousefour poster bedview of the bayoban harbourfull scottish breakfasthaggistop floorstreet parkingtown centrestayed longersea frontcomfortable roombreakfast choices
Reviewed 25 September 2011

After having booked a room with twin beds we were shown to an excessively furnished and cramped room with a heavy four poster and a single bed – as Sandra was not very approachable we accepted it without question until I looked at my paper-work and discovered this could mean difficulties later as the cost was much higher. We went down to tell Sandra of the mistake but she met us on the stairs and spoke first and told us we would have to move into another room as she had given us the wrong room. It was already around 7.30 pm and we had travelled a long way and been caught in a traffic delay caused by an unfortunate car accident a few miles from Oban. We asked if we could have dinner first and move when we returned but were refused this option. Sandra did come and help us to move some of the bags but was rather brusque. She insisted we filled out our breakfast menu before we went to dinner and left our car keys behind as the parking spots are tandem ones and “Someone may need to move your car”. We actually found the less excessively furnished twin room much more to our taste and it had more space to move.

The only greeting at breakfast was, “Room number?” with no smile or welcome. As the meal progressed it felt like we were part players in an Agatha Christie movie as all the guests - crammed tightly into the dining room - continued to studiously ignore each other and the waitresses ran around trying to get everyone fed and out of the breakfast room in record time. We were just hoping that we would be suspects and not victims when the movie “plot” was revealed!

Because the views from the windows were so spectacular we sat for a while after breakfast in the excessively furnished Victorian Parlour but the Wi-Fi connection would not work there and was not available in the bedroom. After ringing the bell in the hall for attention - it turned out that Sandra had turned the internet connection off and she spent some time defending the lack of connection due to some problem they had been having. When she turned the connection on I was able to get a brief connection – about two minutes - while sitting with my computer balanced on my knee in the front hall passage – that was the only connection able to be made during our three night stay – Sandra’s defence of this reminded me of her answers to all the critical reviews of Corriemar House here on Trip Advisor. Nothing is ever her fault!

Never have I seen such excess in furnishing except in movies or stately homes – I think there would have been a seat in the lounge for every one of the guests in all 20 rooms – and the excesses of ornaments and cushions and decanters and … “stuff” just incredible!

I should record here that I am a fan of antiques and period furnishings and although I have described and included photos of the decorating excesses of Corriemar House, I must really include one last picture I took as I was leaving. I could never have imagined a front hall looking like this – all that is missing is the aspidistra! No – not true; the main thing that was missing from this place was a warm and friendly atmosphere from either the owner, or any of the staff.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank travellersfriend303
Reviewed 14 September 2011

During our 1 week holiday in Scotland we had a one night stopover in Oban and we have choosen the Corriemar. This house is furnished with love and well kept. The reception was friendly. The choice of different breakfast menues for the next day is excellent. We had the room with sea-view and the four-poster-bed, which was lovely to sleep in. The house is situated in a side street but close to the city center.

Room Tip: Ask for sea view, the four-poster-bed and internet availability if needed.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
donra, Owner at Corriemar Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2012

Many thanks for your review.

Reviewed 11 September 2011

We stayed for three nights in September as part of a 9-night holiday. We were greeted by the owner who was very friendly.
Unusually we had to select our breakfast the night before. On the first morning we both had a cooked Scottish breakfast which was really quite poor and colourless. We were so put off we had the continental breakfast option (1 croissant with jam only) for the rest of our stay. The breakfast choices were quite limited - there was no fruit salad on the first day. The staff seemed to get confused by simple requests (e.g. for toast and coffee) and the breakfast period seemed quite chaotic!
Our room had an amazing double-aspect view across the Oban bay however the room itself was in need of modernising and decorating - the rug was threadbare in places, the room (and the whole house) was full of tat and we got the feeling the cushions and duvet cover weren't that clean.
Overall a bit of a let down given that the room was comparably expensive.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Hooper_11
Reviewed 8 September 2011

I was very disappointed with our stay at Corriemar, from the moment I stepped inside in fact. We were asked to pay prior to even seeing the room & practically before hello was issued. I felt this to be very rude and untrusting. Even the best places I've stayed in we haven't paid prior to leaving. The owner was rather curt and unfriendly.

The room was nice, had it not been for the rubbish view (I appreciate not all rooms are front facing!) and damp & peeling wallpaper in the bathroom. There was absolutely no little shampoo's or shower gel either, not quite 4 star. Breakfast was awful, I opted for salmon and scrambled eggs - there was a slither of salmon and the scrambled eggs looked microwaved with egg shell in it. Not appetising. My partner opted for continental....one croissant, hardly sets you up for the day.

It was over priced for what it was, the service was prompt but unfriendly and I wouldn't go again, nor would I recommend.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Miss_Kitten
donra, Owner at Corriemar Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2011

This review is an edited repost and has already been answered, however I will do so again.
The guests should know that they are due to pay on arrival as it is stated on the Tourist board booking form. For example a booking made for the 19th is due to be paid on the 19th. There is no wall paper in any bathroom in this house! I do not think any views from any room are not nice, the trees viewed at the side and back of the house are certainly more appealing than looking at something in a built up area. This room is very popular and is requested by guests who stay with us on a regular basis, there are two windows in the bedroom and one in the spacious bathroom.
No one has ever only had a slither of salmon from me and most persons are able to communicate their needs if neccessary. There is a lot more to eat at the buffet table and it cannot be missed as it sits at the entrance door of the Dining room.

Reviewed 24 August 2011

I stayed at the Corriemar house with my wife and my parents on August 2011. Oban was full because there was some sailing going on so we had problems finding room to sleep. We opted for Corriemar because they offered one room with (spectacular) seaviews.

It was more expensive than some other guest houses but the view was amazing, and they lent you some binoculars to enjoy it even more.

We arrive quite late in the afternoon so we send them an email to let them know.

When we arrived the landlady gave us the keys and rushed us to the rooms with no further explanation. She didn't ask us anything.

Next day she didn't talk to us either, but on the day we were leaving, just before paying, she was very talkative and asked us what we had been doing and so on. What we did we didn't do with her help, that's for sure!

As for the rooms, they are crowded with things, as it's the rest of the house.

On their web it's says they refurbish the house regularly but not the matresses! The one in my parent's room was quite battered!

Oban is bautiful and the views are beautiful as well but not in Corriemar next time.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Nestor A
donra, Owner at Corriemar Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2011

Firstly we are cheaper than some and more expensive than others and we do include Vat and credit card charges in the bill. Guests being rushed to their room is an impossibility as most bedrooms are upstairs and no one except the younger staff can run upstairs!
I`m sure when check-in was completed as there were a group of you (2 generations in fact) any questions you wish could have been asked and answered, it is not our position to assume that we know what you wish to do during your stay in Oban unless it is intimated to us. There are numerous folders and flyers around the Porch including a large brochure display unit. There are more in the seafront Lounge and there is a Visitscotland information pack in every room! If this is not enough we are easily contacted by the bell situated at check-in and we shall endeavor to answer any queries a guest may have.
Absolutely no one on the staff would walk by without acknowledging a guest and if a guest had a query it would be answered to the best of our ability.
We have may antiques and other memorabilia and it is really enjoyed by our guests many of whom will speak freely and genuinely about their stay.
There are no "quite battered matresses" anywhere, they are replaced on a regular basis and are often commented on by guests as being exceptionally comfortable. The room is one of the best and biggest in the town and as you said earlier "the view was amazing"
Refurbished regularly is not on our website so I do not know what this person is confused with. Our grading and rating is done annually and we are always making improvements and changes but nowhere on our website does it say what she has quoted.