All reviewsturret roomwhiskey porridgekedgereematernity hospitalgreat hostshuge bathroomlittle touchesplace to staysteep climbbay windowsmoked haddocksuperb viewsthought of everythingwalk into towntrip to scotlandstayed nightsbreakfast was excellent
Reviewed 27 September 2016

This is the most stylish, friendly and just plain beautiful place I have ever stayed in. There was a huge choice of gourmet offerings for breakfast. The whisky porridge and kedgeree were delicious. Very handy for walking around Oban too,

Room Tip: I can't imagine there being a bad room.
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 September 2016

We stayed for a week in Greystones, room 2, looking out to the harbour. Upon our arrival we were very impressed by the building itself - it's beautiful - and entering we realised we had found a very special place. We loved the eclectic mix of furnishings and art, huge mirrors etc. Our room - very comfortable, spacious and clean. Lovely bathroom - all white and clean lines.
The breakfasts...Oh so yummy and so much choice, so much care, thought and skill on every plate. Each meal was to perfection - very flavoursome and beautifully presented.
Mark was extremely polite and professional in his approach.

Greystones is in a lovely position, it being just far enough out of the town to be extremely quiet, but close enough to easily walk to and fro. Because it is situated at the end of a no-through road there is no traffic passing to disturb you. We loved that!

Very highly recommended for guests wishing for peace and quiet and those who appreciate good food and clean and pleasant surroundings.

Room Tip: We looked across to the harbour which was lovely. I would imagine all of the rooms are quiet.
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 September 2016

My husband and I visited Scotland as part of our 25th wedding anniversary celebration and we chose to spend the two nights over our actual anniversary date at Greystones B&B. It was wonderful beyond words! We stayed in the Seaview Turret Room, which had a stunning 180+ degree view of the village of Oban, the port and the bay from the turret window. We spent mornings and evenings watching the sunrises and sunsets from that turret. The room itself was huge and decorated in a charming minimalist and modern way. The bed was the most comfortable out of all the places we stayed on our trip. And the bathroom was immense--I kid you not. There was a lovely soaking tub and large open air shower.

Mark and Suzanne were the perfect hosts. Unbeknownst to me, my husband contacted them ahead of time and made arrangements to use the downstairs sitting room for a surprise vow renewal ceremony (we had friends traveling with us who attended). They also recommended a beautiful little restaurant out in the countryside to have our anniversary dinner at (again, my husband surprised me by shipping decorations to the restaurant, which they so kindly decorated our table with in advance of our arrival). Mark and Suzanne truly went above and beyond for us and we were so appreciative!!

Breakfast was delicious and hearty, especially the whisky porridge. The surrounding residential area is quiet and lovely; the first evening we walked up the hill the McCaig's Tower, a coliseum-like structure from which we watched the stars come out and the lights twinkling down below in Oban.

About the only negative I could give about Greystones is that it is a bit difficult to find--best to use the instructions sent by Suzanne and Mark than GPS. And it would be quite a hike uphill from the centre of Oban, but on the day we took a boat out to Mull we drove down and found a place to park near the port, so it wasn't a factor for us.

I highly, highly recommend Greystones and my only regret is that it took me a year before finally sitting down to write this review!

Room Tip: The Seaview Turret with its breathtaking view is the way to go.
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 August 2016

Quite possibly the best place we have ever stayed. A beautiful building, tastefully modernised by the architect-owners to create a haven of tranquillity. It would be impossible to fault the room we had, the service we received or the breakfast provided. The management style was to be extremely helpful and considerate but without being intrusive - exactly what we would have chosen. And the view from our bedroom ... well, it was to die for.

Room Tip: Definitely go for a room with a view
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 August 2016 via mobile

Although the accommodation is as good as all reviews state there are definitely some issues. The home is very close to the Main Street and up very high which make the views superb but an almost vertical walk down (and UP). Also there are 10 steps from the car park to reception and the 27 steps up to the bedrooms - pretty much of a struggle for 70+ year olds with 25 kg bags. Finally, the home is very difficult to find. There is no 'lead in' signage and the home is at the end of a very narrow dead end street - it is not even in any GPS. If I lived in the UK and was under 50 I would definitely stay here again. Mark was very helpful and breakfast excellent.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Tulloch1
polomarco, Owner at Greystones, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2016

Thank you for your review of Greystones. We note the issues you have raised about accessibility and directions to us. We try and make both points clear on our website.

We have an accessibility statement on our website which draws attention to our location up a hill and the number of stairs up to the ground and first floors of the property. We always offer to carry luggage for guests and we also provide details of a local taxi service, should anyone not wish to tackle the hill.

As for navigating to us, we are aware that Satnav is unreliable in this area. As well as directions on our website, we also send out detailed directions with all our booking confirmations, with the recommendation to print them out and not rely on Satnav.