4 people are viewing this hotel
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
PricelineUS$254
TripadvisorUS$254
ZenHotels.com
Destinia.com
All reviews timbale one night dining room lovely hotel ferry terminal small hotel a sea view room fresh flowers scallops comfortable bed warm welcome town centre lounge harbour furnishings
Selected filters
Reviewed 11 October 2020

Bedroom small but nicely appointed, friendly staff [covid aware & responsive], excellent food [but not cheap]. Lovely views out over the sea but limited garden. Good stopping off point if later taking the ferry or exploring the coast.

Date of stay: October 2020
Peter Crane, Owner at The Manor House Oban, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2020

Thanks for writing and your stars.

Regards

Reviewed 8 October 2020

Stayed here one night after arriving on ferry from Barra. It looked and sounded delightful on Reviews and it more than matched those. The place is full of beautiful antique furniture and our bed room reflected this too but our en-suite bathroom was up to date and well equipped with bath and separate shower. Comfy bed and pillows. Helpful and friendly staff. Covid arrangements were very good. The place is AA 2 rosettes and the dinner we had certainly was that standard as was the wine list. Excellent breakfast too. We learned that the place has new owners who take over in November and plan to turn it into a B&B. That would be a huge loss to travellers and diners. This place is really special as it is so to the new owners I say - Please don't change the operation!

1  Thank Martin C

I am glad you enjoyed your stay. Your comments are noted!

Regards

Reviewed 26 September 2020

The hotel is situated beyond the ferry terminal just a few minutes walk from the centre of Oban. Staff were helpful and a lot of thought had gone into making us feel safe etc. We had dinner in the hotel on the first night which was lovely and breakfast was also delicious (have the haddock and poached egg) but we understand that the hotel will soon be turned into a B&B only which is a shame.

Date of stay: September 2020

We are glad you enjoyed your stay. We hope the new owners will come up with an attractive plan next year.

Reviewed 24 September 2020 via mobile

Just returned from a mini break in Oban
We ate at this hotel on 1 occasion .
The main course served up to me is one of the best plates of food I have eaten in s long time

I also found the staff to be polite , friendly and engaging

Compliments to the Chef

I woul recommend the restaurant to anyone without any hesitation

We'll done to all concerned

Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Thank you for writing. Your comments are helpful to other guests.

Reviewed 20 September 2020 via mobile

The Manor Hotel is definitely one to be avoided. I understand it has been sold recently but the new owners haven’t yet taken over. We stayed there for 1 night on the 28th August. It was originally a booking for 3 nights in total but we cancelled the other 2 because of our experience. It began during dinner with a request by me for a side salad if possible (for which we were more than happy to pay). The menu did not show any vegetables served with any of the main dishes and there were no side dishes listed separately. I usually eat salad at most meals. The response by a waiter serving us (name supplied if the hotel owners wish to get in touch) whose attitude had been offhand from the outset, was shocking. He effectively said the menu was as it was, and take it or leave it. The hotel kitchen, he said, did not have any salad leaves and neither did it offer any other type of vegetable. ‘I didn’t write the menu’ was one of his utterances . I was left speechless by his attitude which was aggressive and confrontational in response to a simple request. We left the dining room as soon as we’d eaten the main course. The following day I attempted to speak to the manager but was told by the rude waiter who was on reception that he had just left the post. I asked who was the manager now and his words were ‘I suppose I am for as long as it lasts’. I therefore told him that I was unhappy at the way he’d spoken to me the previous night . His response was that he didn’t like the way I’d spoken to him. He was confrontational and rude. At that, my partner told him that he was being confrontational and that that was no way to speak to guests. He replied‘ No, you are ‘ My partner thereupon cancelled the further 2 nights and requested our bill which we paid. We wished to leave immediately but as we walked through the door the man continued to shout abuse, trying to engage us in an argument : ‘ Feel free to turn your backs on me ‘ as we exited the hotel on to the car park. The hotel’s reputation, which no doubt has been built up over many years, is being quickly destroyed by the staff left rudderless and unsupervised, no doubt anticipating that their jobs will soon end with a new owner . It appears that some of them couldn’t care less how they behave. The atmosphere of the hotel is oppressive because of staff attitude. Incidentally upon inspection of the bill we note that we were overcharged for a room with a sea view, when ours had a view of the car park. In our hurry to leave and get away from this man we had not checked our bill.

By way of additional information the menu was disappointing. Oban is known as ‘the seafood capital of Scotland’ and we were looking forward to trying some of the local seafood : mussels, langoustine, crab and even some renowned local lobster. There was nothing of the kind on the menu. The only fish dishes offered were salmon, sea bass or scallops, all of which can be bought from most pub menus in the country. One got the feeling that the chef was perhaps emptying the freezer before the new owners take over

Date of stay: August 2020
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Peter Crane, Owner at The Manor House Oban, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2020

This is the worst review we have had in years. Looking at the author it appears her reviews are either 5 or 1.

The menu clearly shows all the vegetables included with each dish. As we cannot do lunches due to Covid spacing, I can understand how the kitchen might not have had the fixings for a proper salad. I will correct that. As for the comment about emptying the freezer, it is ridiculous. All produce is fresh daily. We have a dedicated staff that have worked hard to create our reputation and they are continuing until the end of the season. We have owned and loved the Manor House for 20 years. The staff are being well looked after on redundancy.

Other staff members witnessed the confrontation at check out, describing the reviewer as very aggressive, close talking and finger pointing while not wearing the required mask. They dispute the reviewer’s description.

These are difficult times. You can see by other reviews that this does not reflect the Manor House style. The staff are proud of the reputation and wish to retain it to the close.

Les Crane Owner