“Would not recommend - beyond rude”
Review of Killean Farmhouse

Killean Farmhouse
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Inveraray
Killean Farmhouse
Ranked #10 of 14 Inveraray B&B and Inns
Reviewed 23 August 2015

The saddest part about Killean Farmhouse is, due to how busy and beautiful Inveraray is, this place will probably continue to have guests - and this B&B should be boycotted by all.
My partner and I checked in at 8:30pm after a long drive and went to get dinner. We were told at this point that the door was locked at 11pm and (verbatim) "we could make our plans around that". We went and got dinner in town, got back at 11:30pm, found the door open (their only moment of decency), was quiet as possible, showered and went to sleep.
After a pretty awful sleep due to very uncomfortable pillows and bedding, the next morning we were asked to leave as this kind of 'behaviour' was not welcome - leaving us with nowhere to stay!

When we pointed this out, and said we could be in at 11pm tonight but last night was hard as we were already so late, the lady of the house (who is written about in other reviews) just straight out said no and told us to leave. We then pointed out that we were now going to be incredibly inconvenienced as nowhere else would take us on such short notice and asked if she would she take a lower rate for the previous night due to the fact these house 'rules' are not published anywhere (not on the website, not anywhere in the BnB, and not mentioned to us on the phone when we booked), she threatened to call the police because she said we were trying to get our of our bill! At this point we just paid and left, because she clearly couldn't be reasoned with.

This lady should not be running a B&B, and I would strongly advise finding a different town to stay in if it's your only option left in Inveraray. She only takes cash payments, turns the hot water off after 10am, and breakfast is STRICTLY only served at 8am or 8:30am. Honestly, I could go on and on... I just really felt for the other staff, who did seem lovely.

Room Tip: Find another alternative!
  • Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Aimee S

Reviewed 3 March 2015

I stayed In on of the cottages whilst away working away with 5 colleagues.
the service wasn't great and we were all pretty disgruntled about the way we were spoken too.
In our Victorian style house the workers were keeping a freezer for there own food. someone in our house accidental turn the plug off, and we were deemed the unacceptable ones? the manger thought it was ok just to come in to our house at any given time and snoop around whilst we were just back from a hard days shift.
Also somebody was going through our bags while we were at work even when we locked the door and told staff we do not require house keeping.
But what really did it for me was one Saturday morning myself and a friend woke up very hungry, at this moment the 'manager' was lurking about outside, so we asked very nicely if it was too late to get a breakfast. her response was very unclear, she pretty much just didn't want to deal with us. despite this our company was paying a lot of money for our stay and decided to go and ask inside the main house if this was ok, and if we were to late could we get the number for a taxi or directions to a local cafe.
as we entered the big house we were greeted by a very nice old lady who said of course we can have a breakfast and gave us impeccable service. after my friend and I had finished we stayed seated for a while drinking coffee as it is a very beautiful part of the country.
However, The manager then came in and i quote said 'I can't believe you have just done that!' my friend replied 'excuse me?' and then she got angry and made out as if we were going behind her back or something after her telling us we were not allowed breakfast, But she was very unclear and unfriendly when we asked.
I'm not sure what her problem was but we were in no way out of line and were always very polite towards anyone we came across in the area.
the reason this post it getting two was for the lady in the kitchen being so nice towards us.
After discussing the incidents with my boss he decided to take all of his business else where. Which may of given the reality check as he was spending upwards of £3000 a week on our accommodation.
would not recommend!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
8  Thank jay783
Reviewed 31 August 2014

I really enjoyed my stay in Killean. It's a couple of miles out of Inveraay and in addition to lovely scenery offers a house full of character, lovely grounds, peace and quiet, spacious bedroom, comfortable beds and a delicious breakfast served in a conservatory with views to die for.Add a friendly welcome and a very reasonable price - and I can't think why anyone stays anywhere else. I do hope we can come back some day.

Room Tip: Room 3 (twin bedroom) was very spacious and had a lovely view f the garden and hills beyond.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jane A
Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

When you are in Inveraray, you have to stay in this nice house. You'll get a very warm welcome. It is situated in a very quiet landscape close to Inveraray. The rooms are very comfortable and clean. The breakfast is very good. There is enough space for private parking.
I'd like to come back again

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 August 2014

The place is very quiet although the rooms are a bit old fashioned. But expect bad service and little human contact. They closed the hot water tap at 10 am sharp!... And our daughter aged 7 had to use cold water. Not welcoming, especially with children, and that's a shame for that price. Not recommended.

• Stayed: August 2014