“Top notch restaurant”

Airds Hotel and Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 4 Restaurants in Appin
Price range: US$20 - US$74
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: A Romantic Candlelit Restaurant serving locally sourced food using the best ingredients. Specialising in local seafood, the restaurant has held 3 rosettes for over 20 years and is one of the longest serving restaurants to be featured in the Good Food Guide, with a current rating of 6. Stunning views front the restaurant, of Loch Linnhe and the Morvern mountains and amazing sunsets can be seen, especially during the summer months. In the Spring and Summer it is also possible to enjoy morning coffee, lunch and afternoon tea sitting in the garden, again with spectacular views. The hotel is open for morning coffee, lunch, afternoon tea and dinner. Coffee, lunch and tea are all available in the lounges, bar area, conservatory or in the garden. Dinner may be enjoyed either in the candlelit restaurant or in the conservatory with the ever changing scenery enjoyed in both.
Reviewed 14 November 2016

See also my review of the hotel. The whole dinner experience was simply perfection. You start of in the lounge where you choose your dishes whilst they serve lovely canapés. You're then taken through to the reataurant and seated where a waitress serves water etc. All beautifully done. As for the meal it was stunning. I understand they have just launched a new menu and it was so imaginative. I started with the Ravioli of Pork and apple which was bursting with flavour whilst my wife said the Cannelloni of Crab as superb. I went on to the pan fried bass which was cooked to perfection and went superbly with the Vanilla carrot puree. My wife had the monkfish which she also said was perfection. Finally Lemon parfait was to die for.
Not only was the food so good but the service was absolutely faultless and friendly. One of the best meals we have had in a long, long time.

Shaun M, Owner at Airds Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2017

Thank you for such a terrific review and we are so pleased that you enjoyed your evening with us. Hopefully dining at Airds is a very special occasion and we try hard to ensure that it is just that. The new menu has proved very popular and is one which enables the Chef to showcase the local produce, perhaps more then any other menu. Hopefully we will see you back again soon. Best wishes - Shaun.

Reviewed 13 November 2016

I had always heard good reviews on this property so whilst our beloved daughter was visiting we decided to book in for afternoon tea,at a cost of £24 per person i was excited to see what feast we were about to devour! The property was nice eneough although the wow factor i was expecting eluded me. I hear alot about Airds being a luxury property,i,sadly, didn't find this the case. The afternoon tea that i looked forward too was a tad disappointing. The amouse Bouche was lacking,plenty of pate,not matched by enough of the bread option,the sandwiches were perfect,as were the delicious scones,the lack of jam and cream was a bit on the thoughtless side, we had 6 scones but only 1 tiny dish of jam and 1 tiny dish of cream, my daughter had no jam or cream for her last scone, i said i would ask for some more, but she didn't want to make a fuss. Abundance of tea was also not seen to,we had to ask for some more, which was a little embarrassing. The top layer of the afternoon tea was the most disappointing. I felt the selection was very bland and nothing appealed to me or my husband,so really value for money was sadly missing. With such testaments of awards achieved and ongoing pursuit of exellence,this afternoon tea did not reflect the excellence Airds strives for. On a side note,my daughter and i visited the ladies room and i was to be honest shocked. The toilet needed a good clean,hair and splatters of unmentionable substances,a bar of slimy soap to sanitise your hands, no hand soother,and in the cupboard under the sink,if your curious eneough to have a look was old empty cleaning bottles,old screwed up newspapers and an old argos book. All in all not in keeping with the 4* standards that should be met and maintained. I mentioned a few times,once when i booked and when i was in situ that in was in the industry,maybe an offer of a tour or any information on the hotel would have been really appreciated,sadly not offered. The 2 staff members we encountered were both pleasant and mostly efficient. I would like to return and see if slight improvements were put in place,as the lounges were very relaxing and the ambiance was quite tranquil,although log baskets were empty beside the fires and the fires that were burning were dying,some additional logs beside the fires would have been a benefit.

2  Thank Merida2302
Shaun M, Owner at Airds Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 24 November 2016

We do welcome constructive criticism, as we believe that we can always improve. Unfortunately this guest did not mention any of these points when leaving, quite the opposite, they said they had enjoyed their afternoon. Our afternoon tea consists of a selection of freshly made scones, sandwiches and cakes, as well as an amuse bouche, these have aways been very well received, so it was a great surprise to receive a negative review and have value for money called in to question. Regular top ups of tea and coffee are offered and courtesy checks are made every 10 minutes as a standard procedure, so I would again be surprised if no refills were offered. Perhaps more surprising is that someone in the industry and an employee from a local hotel, felt embarrassed to ask for something, especially bearing in mind that they found the 'staff pleasant'.

We do take great offence that the cleanliness of the facilities are being called in to question. These are checked on a regular basis, however we do not have a full-time toilet attendant so facilities do get used between one guest and another before housekeeping have the chance to refresh the area. Both a bar of soap and liquid soap are available in the public toilet.

Finally it is most disappointing that someone in the hospitality industry feels the need to try and have a negative impact on a local business when we should all be working together to reach the same goal - which is to provide the very best experience to visitors to the area. Looking at her other reviews, she does seem to be most negative on local businesses”. Surely would it not have been better to raise these issues direct with us.

Reviewed 11 November 2016

Oysters, tio pepe, chicken liver parfait, crab bisque, roast beef with all the trimmings ,sticky toffee pudding with sauce and ice cream, coffe and petits fours in front of a roaring fire and thenwaddle off home!! Can't think of a better way to do a Sunday lunch!!

Reviewed 10 November 2016

I have not been here for two years- my last visit was not that great, but wow, this time i was ver, very good. Great welcome and good food and I plan on a stay next time. Its good to see the Airds again and my friends also loved it. If you have not visited, you should go as this is one of Scotland's best hotels.

Reviewed 2 November 2016

We had a great dinner here, the food was delicious and staff very attentive. Would recommend for a special occasion.