“Great Hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Derry
Ireland
“Great Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2012

I've used the hotel for its meeting facilities quite a few times. Each time the service was very good and the rooms spotless clean. Staff are always attentive and friendly any time i've used the hotel, which is probably about 6 or 7 times now. The hotel also boasts an excellent restaurant, the food is very, very good, on a par with any of the other restaurants in Derry. There always seems to be a good buzz in Da Vinci's, the hotel boasts a great bar. The nightclub part gets pretty busy at the weekends but the main bar is where i prefer to sit and enjoy a couple of drinks. I was surprised to see some of the negative comments below, but then again i have stayed in some excellent 5* hotels in different countries and there is always the occasional negative comment so i suppose its best for people to make their own mind up and try it out. Any time i have used Da Vincis I have never been disspointed!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
RDVs, Sales & Marketing Manager at Da Vinci's Hotel Derry, responded to this review, 10 April 2012
Dear ‘HopNstop’,

I am happy to read your comments about your experiences at Da Vinci’s Hotel. I will be sure to pass your compliments along to the team who will be very pleased to hear your feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back to Da Vinci’s Hotel in the future.

Sales & Marketing Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
  • Greek first
Edel24
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2012

I stayed at this hotel as part of a party at the weekend. We felt that this hotel would be convenient for everyone attending and we were given (what we thought was) a good rate so it seemed like a good choice. Last night I realised that the hotel had debited an additional UNAUTHORISED £100.00 from my account 3 days earlier and after doing some investigation I realised that other members of the party's accounts had also been debited. After several phone calls to the hotel I was advised that this charge was for smoking in a non-smoking room. I ALSO DO NOT SMOKE (see comment below) and the girls who were with me in the room did not smoke at any time while we were in the room. When we arrived at the hotel we quickly left our bags in the room and made our way down stairs as we were already late for dinner. The next morning we had our breakfast, packed our bags and left. The room was left in a very good state and there was certainly no smell of smoke or any other smell in the room. The hotel claim that there was a 'strong smell of smoke in all rooms and evidence of ash on windows'. Despite not being able to provide me with any reasonable evidence of this, other than the signatures from the cleaning staff, the hotel are unwilling to show any compassion or to investigate the matter further. As far as they are concerned, these signatures are enough evidence for them. I have been advised by the trading standards agency and the citizens advice bureau that in their eyes this would not constitute reasonable evidence.

The hotel have told me that a letter had been sent to my house advising me of the fine on the day the charge was made. Nearly one week later and I have yet to receive this letter. The hotel had no problem contacting me on my mobile on a number of occasions prior to the final balance being paid. Why they couldn’t lift the phone to advise me and the rest of the party about these charges is beyond me. In fact, a simple email would have sufficed but I was not afforded this courtesy either.

I am absolutely disgusted at the way I have been treated by this hotel and will NEVER be back and neither will any of the other 30 people who attended the hotel to have dinner with us. Collectively, we spent over £2000.00 in the hotel and this is how they treat us!?! If this is the type of hospitality the UK City of Culture has to offer then god help those visiting the city next year.

I will be taking the matter further. However, to all those thinking about making a reservation at this hotel - BE WARNED: You may think you are getting a good deal but in fact you could end up getting ripped off like me and the lady who left the comment below.

I also have issues with the information that was provided to me before making the reservation with regards to the amount of money that would be held on each card for security purposes. They told me that £50.00 would be held on each card in case of damage. Does this mean the hotel ultimately have access to £150.00?

I also have issues regarding the hotels handling of personal information. The hotel staff offered other members of the party the names of people who were fined over the phone despite there being no clear reason for them to do so. This flippant regard for personal data is concerning. The hotel feel that they were justified in giving out this information because they 'presume' we all already knew each other. Absurd!

Room Tip: If you dont like heat be prepared for a sleepless night!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
12 Thank Edel24
Dear ‘Edel24’,

We take all feedback seriously and regret that you did not have an enjoyable experience with us. We do have non-smoking and pre-authorisation policies at Da Vinci’s Hotel and front desk staffs communicate these policies clearly to all guests during check in. I know that our General Manager has been in contact with you directly to deal with your complaint and believe that your issues has been resolved adequately.

Natasha O’Hea
Sales & Marketing Manager at Ramada Da Vinic's Hotel.
Bedford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2012

It was felt that we were an inconvenience almost when checking in. Our room wasn't ready so we went for breakfast in an empty restaurant that was dark and cold. It was also empty, I wonder why!

Upon our tour of the city, we returned later than expected to discover the bar was closed and no residents bar available! It was 11.15pm!

I would not stay here again. There are friendlier and cosier hotels in Derry City. Take my advice, look elsewhere!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank BreifneSharon
RDVs, Sales & Marketing Manager at Da Vinci's Hotel Derry, responded to this review, 22 February 2012
Dear 'BreifneSharon'

I am very surprised to hear your comments about our service and facilities as we would be renowned for excellent customer service and our facilities within the complex. We do have a resident’s bar onsite so I am unsure as to why you were not able to avail of this service but I have duly noted your comment and I will look into it.

It is unfortunate that you did not have an enjoyable stay with us but thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback we appreciate all comments from our guests both positive and negative.

Ramada Da Vinci’s Hotel
Belfast, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2012

When entering the hotel, the front desk staff had a very poor attitude from the outset. I stayed at this hotel, along with 16 other people for my friends birthday, after spending a substantial amount of money at the hotel and still sitting in reception the next morning, the hotel e-mailed a member of our party to say that we were smoking in a non-smoking room, I DO NOT SMOKE, and were being fined £100 for deep cleaning the room!!!!!!!, this e-mail was not received until we returned home. After contacting the hotel for 2 days and e-mailing this hotel, the manager eventually got back to me, with no proof and only hear say, there was no reasoning with them and as the room is over the back yard no wonder there is a smoke smell so the fine still stands, also the nightclub is a disaster as they let to many people in and at one point of the night you could not even move off your seat to get to the toilet, if there was fire you have no chance of getting out a live. I would not recommend my dog to stay in this hotel. SO BEWARE IF YOU DO SMOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: avoid room 305, smells of smoke and you have to pay £100 fine for someone else!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
8 Thank Julie H
Dear ‘Julie H’,

Thank you for your feedback and we take all feedback seriously. At Da Vinci’s Hotel we have a strict non-smoking policy and smoking is prohibited throughout the building except in the 12 guest bedrooms which have been designated as smoking rooms and an area externally designated for those who wish to smoke. As a member of the management team at Da Vinci’s Hotel I am aware of your complaint and know that our General Manager has been in contact with you to resolve your issues in a satisfactory way.

Sales & Marketing Manager at Ramada Da Vinci's Hotel
Davis, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2012

Very comfortable room, good service, good selection of well prepared food in the restaurant, friendly staff.
Only issue to think about before making a reservation: you need a car to fully enjoy the location. It's not close enough to the city center if you're walking or dependent on public transportation. (Also, if you're from North America, it shares the tendency of many European hotels of the rooms being dimly lit. This is not a dramatic drawback, but one to be aware of.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank BRuke1
Dear 'BRuke1',

As you have mentioned we are located approximately 5 to 10 minutes walk from the city centre and many of our guests do not have the use of cars during their stay. We get many comments from guests stating that they enjoy the walk into the city centre as they can enjoy the views of the River Foyle. We would advise guests who wish to explore the North West beyond Derry City to hire a car, we are fortunate to be located only 1 hours drive from the Giants Causeway and only a 15 minutes drive from the hill of Donegal.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.