New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Paddy's Palace Belfast
Seattle, Washington
“Bed bugs.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2011

Left there yesterday and have bed bug bites all over me. The place is not clean. Only good thing is the free tour with Troy but I would rather have paid to go on the tour and not have bed bugs.

• Stayed June 2011
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Edmonton, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2011

The hostel was clean enough, and while it could use renovations, it provided perfectly acceptable accommodations. Location is close enough to downtown that it's easily walkable or accessible by bus. Although I'd purchased two nights in the 14 bed mixed dorm, when I arrived I was informed that there were none of those beds available, so they were upgrading me to a 2 bed private room, which was pretty cool :)

Wireless internet was free, but wouldn't work from inside my room on the top floor. There are potentially a lot of stairs to go up and down to and from your room and no elevator, which could pose a problem for some people. Washrooms were only located on every second floor, and some of them were out of order, but I never had to wait for one, so that didn't prove much trouble. Breakfasts are included, and there is bread/toast, condiments, ceareal, and milk. Staff seems to be always around if you have questions or issues.

They advertise a free Giants Causeway bus tour if you stay at least two nights. It's only free on days other than Friday and Saturday, though, which were the two days I was there, but they gave it to me at a discounted price (15 GBP). Now the tour itself: I would highly not recommend it. It was badly organized; we were told be in the lobby at 9:15 am, and so we were, and we got on a bus for the Paddy's Tours tour company, which was going on the Giants Causeway tour. The bus driver never checked off names as we got on the bus, never even counted us. Then the bus drives into Dublin at the end of the day and leaves us there. Apparently there should have been a Belfast bus there in the same location at the same time in the morning, but due to delays it wasn't there. We had no way of knowing we'd gotten onto the wrong bus, and so got stranded in Dublin that evening. When we tried to plead our case to the tour company, the driver actually swore at me and the other Belfast-bound travelers and called us stupid for not having checked with him before getting on the bus. I was appalled at the unprofessional way in which they handled our case (in the end myself and the other stranded passengers ended up buying ourselves bus tickets back to Belfast. If we hadn't had the money, though, I'm truly not sure what we would have done), and therefore don't recommend them to anyone, even though the tour itself was quite wonderful.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
Ljubljana, Slovenia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2011

Hostel could definitely use a renovation. Bunkbeds were ok, but window didn't closed, so I catched a cold. Bathrooms were also in very bad condition, several didn't even work. Lounge room was ok, but closed at 10pm already, so did the kitchen. City itself didn't impressed me either. Trip with Paddywagon and Troy was great, tho.

Room Tip: with working windows!
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Belfast hotels

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2011

If you're heading to Belfast in irealnd you definitely want to stay with Paddy's Palace Back Packers. Sarah from Paddy's was amazing. The guys there were so helpful and absolutely went above and beyond for us.

If you stay there three nights you also get a free tour to the Giants Causeway.. I think, don't quote me on that one... But def check it out. Also Cliffs of Moher are amazing if you get a chance to do that as well.

Happy travels... And big thanks to Paddy's for their hospitality...

XO

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank OzChick85
Christchurch
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2011

This hostel was night 2 on my Paddywagon tour. The room itself was nice, small but cosy, neat and clean. The rest of the hostel was not so good though - run down and dirty, with very disorganised staff who weren't around or couldn't be found most of the time. There wasn't anywhere near enough toilets/showers for us (but then we were a really big group). Location is pretty good. Free wi-fi in the common-room. Overall definitely only average, but if you're looking to stick to a tight budget then it's probably an OK choice.

• Stayed May 2011