“Fabulous food but a tight squeeeeeeze!”
Review of Black Bear Cafe - CLOSED

Black Bear Cafe
Price range: US$2 - US$8
Cuisines: Irish, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Reviewed 11 June 2016

Great vegetarian and vegan options, as well as a lot of choices for meat eaters. It welcomes everyone. I have eaten here on a number of occasions in the past but on the present occasion I tried a vegan butternut squash and pineapple curry, and I was completely blown away by it! My boyfriend tried a vegetarian flatbread, hummus and sweet potato option which he said was really enjoyable. The downside of this restaurant/café is the limited space within the café and on busy days it is very warm, humid and stuffy indoors.

1  Thank MegCW

Reviewed 8 June 2016

Great coffee and food! This placed really will be a place I'll remember as a student! I'd recommend to any student, family, couple looking for somewhere to have great coffee and nibble to eat! I literally have nothing bad to say about this place! And I would say I was a picky person! Strongly recommend black bear!!

1  Thank JulesD292
Reviewed 4 June 2016

Spent a very relaxing Sunday morning having breakfast. There is no Ulster Fry available here but there is a very extensive menu of waffles, pancakes, eggs etc. The food was of very good quality well worth a visit.

Reviewed 4 May 2016

This place is lovely - really nice selection of stews and hot pots each day and great coffees as well. It's always busy around lunch too, which is definitely a good sign!!

1  Thank Rachel H
Reviewed 28 April 2016

I used to love this place. The food was innovative, wholesome and satisfying. The staff were pleasant and generally welcoming, tinged with a little snootiness.
My facebook profile is littered with photos of mouthwatering crema covered coffees and great eats.
I was in at least three times a week and generally satisfied. It was a great place to read and listen to podcasts. I recommended it to many of my friends.
I booked a table, over a year ago. I rang to say that I was going to be late 7.30 instead of 8.00. I was told, after phoning back, because they had to check (?) that this wasn't possible. Weird.
About four months ago, on a trip to the museum, we called in for lunch. 1.30. The lone lady said she was out of bread. I pitied her. I remember the days when I worked in restaurants on Sundays. No prep done and you were on your own. No bacon either. No avocado. I ended up with a bowl of scrambled eggs and some tomatoes. It was good. Like meeting an ex and thinking there might be something there.
After 15 minutes, two further staff appeared. One person and no bread, I forgive. Three people, meh, not so much. The Centra is about 3 minutes away. Laziness.
In a moment of nostalgia last week, researching dinner plans, I saw photos of the specials. Full of hopes and dreams that they have better staff, I followed the instructions and messaged asking for a table at 7.30.
Even less luck this time. They just didn't reply.
I think we are definitely over.

2  Thank BellTower2013