“Great, relaxed vintage style bistro”
Review of Ace - CLOSED

Ace
Cuisines: Thai
Reviewed 14 January 2013

I have been here so many times, they know what we want to order before we even sit down. It is an spacious, vintage style bistro with an eclectic, arty mixof furniture and interesting artefacts, currently featuring old school furniture. The food ranges from burgers with a twist to steaks and can be served in vintage style pots and wooden boards. Very creative.Suited to anyone wanting a small snack up to a family outing with a menu to suit all. I love the milkshakes! Prices very reasonable and it will be a memorable day or evening meal out.

Reviewed 13 January 2013

Have been here a few times and with each visit, I have been disappointed with the food, service and atmosphere. I only end up visiting here now when friends have already arranged to meet there- otherwise I would avoid and would generally try to persuade friends to go elsewhere when this establishment is suggested.
This place was much better in its previous form as Gourmet Burger Bank- we went initially when it first opened as Ace and the food was very poor as they had gone "off piste" totally compared to what they served before, through inclusion of small plates etc- having incorrectly assumed that they could replicate the success of the vastly superior Il Pirata (which I believe is owned by the same group) except with a different type of food. Over time, more and more burgers have crept back onto the menu at Ace (as well as some other features from the original Gourmet Burger Bank), however it still a disappointing experience overall.

1  Thank Cindy7777
Reviewed 6 January 2013 via mobile

I have to agree with some of the previous reviewers. This was an excellent restaurant, as the Gourmet Burger Bank. The burger menu was superb and there was a great selection of salads. It was a comfortable, reasonably priced, down to earth family restaurant and the food was easily superior to the Gourmet Burger Kitchen chain.

Disappointingly, the owners have decided to shake things up. The results: a poorly designed menu of badly cooked food, a pretentious shabby-chic makeover complete with uncomfortable school chairs. (Just what we all want when we go out to a restaurant. Right? Wrong.) These changes are reflected by the number of patrons visible in the huge windows.

Such a shame!

Reviewed 11 December 2012 via mobile

While Ace Burgers isn't really a place I would write home about, it's serves tasty burgers in a nice atmosphere. Being from Texas I have eaten a fare share of burgers in my life, but these were pretty good. I actually got the fried goatcheese mushroom burger and it was very different and tasty. My friend got a classic cheese burger and liked his as well. The onion rings were also really good. I would recommend this place.

Reviewed 28 October 2012

We visited Ace one evening with friends. The service was slow probably because the place seemed to be understaffed both in and out of the kitchen. When the food arrived it was mildly warm...I like my food hot!!! Won't be back though the place had a good atmosphere and the staff were pleasant.