“If it ain't broke...”
Review of Ace - CLOSED

Ace
Cuisines: Thai
Reviewed 6 January 2013 via mobile

I have to agree with some of the previous reviewers. This was an excellent restaurant, as the Gourmet Burger Bank. The burger menu was superb and there was a great selection of salads. It was a comfortable, reasonably priced, down to earth family restaurant and the food was easily superior to the Gourmet Burger Kitchen chain.

Disappointingly, the owners have decided to shake things up. The results: a poorly designed menu of badly cooked food, a pretentious shabby-chic makeover complete with uncomfortable school chairs. (Just what we all want when we go out to a restaurant. Right? Wrong.) These changes are reflected by the number of patrons visible in the huge windows.

Such a shame!

Reviewed 11 December 2012 via mobile

While Ace Burgers isn't really a place I would write home about, it's serves tasty burgers in a nice atmosphere. Being from Texas I have eaten a fare share of burgers in my life, but these were pretty good. I actually got the fried goatcheese mushroom burger and it was very different and tasty. My friend got a classic cheese burger and liked his as well. The onion rings were also really good. I would recommend this place.

Reviewed 28 October 2012

We visited Ace one evening with friends. The service was slow probably because the place seemed to be understaffed both in and out of the kitchen. When the food arrived it was mildly warm...I like my food hot!!! Won't be back though the place had a good atmosphere and the staff were pleasant.

Reviewed 23 September 2012

Ace used to be the old "Burger Bank" and is slap bang in the middle of Strandtown in East Belfast.It's a casual place, shabby chic like Il Pirata, but more American themed.
They do amazing burgers, decent chicken and some lovely nore sophisticated things with crayfish, salmon and the like, as well as traditional beer battered fish and chips.
The service is good, the staff are attentive,but the alcohol is expensive, with Prosecco for example at £23 .50. that's highly priced for an Italian wine that retails around £7 in most stores and is sold for less in hi-end restaurants like Shu, (which has most consistently fabulous food in Belfast and the decor and ambience to go with it.)
They need to take care they don't outprice themselves for what they are, as this area now abounds with good eateries, many of which feature other facilities like cocktail bars , and several where they operate B.Y.O policies with small corkage charges.A burger and drink here works out around £13/£14 a head.
We live locally and have watched many places come and go in the last few years.

Reviewed 9 September 2012

Came here for lunch with family. We were promptly seated and had our drinks order taken. The service was friendly but I do think they were a bit understaffed. Food was quick and tasty. It's a bit different from the usual standard lunch fare. We all enjoyed our food and would be more than happy to return. The brisket bites are a good choice