All reviewsqueens universitymalone roadcity centrelounge areaulster museumbotanic gardensgreat nightfrom start to finishwelliesconferenceweddingdiscostudentsstephenfoyerpubs
Reviewed 30 November 2015 via mobile

The title of my review for this hotel basically says it all. I can honestly say you couldn't pay me to return!

I stayed here along with my husband, sister and brother in law on the 28th of November. I chose the Wellington Park because it was what I thought reasonably priced (£75) and as I had eaten in it whilst a student in Belfast a number of years back I thought it was a great choice. In fact, I was even looking forward to an overnight stay! Upon our arrival we were greeted with a pleasant receptionist who gave us our key cards for the two rooms which were located beside each other (374 and 375).
Once entering the room I was immediately disappointed. Small, dirty, in desperate need of refurbishment/repair and freezing. I initially addressed how cold it was by FORCING shut an open window. Obviously not designed to be closed or else broken. I closed the curtains to the beautiful view (bins) and took in the rest of the room. Broken lampshades, botched bits of paint work, a wardrobe with no door, wobbly toilet seat and chipped woodwork everywhere! I tried my best to remain positive and went next door to my sisters room where I was immediately greeted with the stench of alcohol/urine along with an extremely stained floor and pretty much the same despair that we had in our room! Only plus side they did have a door on their wardrobe! Lucky them! I told my sister to ring reception and mention the smell but as we were in a rush to a concert we left spraying some perfume in the hope it might shadow it somehow. I know management may respond to this and say 'if you would have rang we would have addressed the issue.' I fail to see how anything would have been done because the hotel was fully booked and to be honest unless the housekeeping staff have no sense of smell there is NO excuse for leaving a room in that shape. Obviously this is just standard Wellington Park house keeping staff rapport.

After the concert we returned ready for bed and were absolutely froze. Absolutely bitterly cold. Again, I know management may say we should have rang but the radiators were on and I know from previous reviews people who were cold were supplied with an electric heater. Not suitable for us.

After turning into ice cubes overnight we awoke somewhat desperate to get up and get out and were faced with cold water and dodgy showers. Although my husband showered I decided against it as I am a bit of a clean freak and to be honest the shower or the bathroom for that matter was just not clean. I didn't even use the water to brush my teeth instead using bottled water as I had that little confidence in the cleanliness. I kept my socks on for fear of the floor may I add and was thankful I did as my sister later told me that when she was drying her hair (she had to sit on the floor as it was the only socket available beside a mirror) she felt damp saturate into her jeans. She only hopes it was alcohol and not urine. Whilst mentioning the sockets it is important to add there are only two socket available in the room and they are stuck nowhere near anything useful. Obviously they don't want you using electricity here.

In fairness, breakfast is ok. Dirty surroundings but the food and staff are 'ok.' Simple things like bean stains all over the serving table are things that can be looked after by the staff but just aren't. I know it isn't a big thing but when you are paying £75 a night you just expect better than this.

Finally, happy to check out we left around 10.30 and I said to myself that if the receptionist were to ask how my stay was I would be honest instead of voicing it on here. Not surprisingly I wasn't asked how my stay was but instead barked at how I owed £5 for parking. I paid and made a speedy exit. All in all a horrible experience and I can honestly say I will never return.. My advise to any one looking to book here is to do yourself a favour and pay £30 less and stay at the premier/holiday inn!

Stayed: November 2015, travelled as a couple
4  Thank fionaf88
MooneyHotelGroup, General Manager at Wellington Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 December 2015

Dear Guest,

It was with great concern that I read your review of the Wellington Park Hotel following your recent stay and I was surprised to learn of your disappointment.

I would like to assure you that your feedback is in no way reflective of our usual high standards and I would like to assure you that your comments have been the subject of a team management review, to ensure that any similar lapses cannot be repeated. As you had stated yourself in the review, we do implore any guest to contact a team member should any facet of your stay appear below expectations so that we may investigate and rectify where possible. In the absence of this opportunity, we were unable to assist in the above stated aspects.

We appreciate all constructive feedback so that it be discussed with the team for training purposes. Should you wish to discuss your stay further, please do not hesitate to contact me directly on mtoner@wellingtonparkhotel.com.

Reviewed 27 November 2015

Stayed for U2 concert and had a brilliant time. Staff in the Hotel showed the very best of Irish Hospitality. The Breakfast was Top Of The Pops. The only small complaint I would make, if you could actually call it one, was that the selection of Tap Beers werent to my on preferred taste. I much prefer the Irish Beers, Harp, & Smithwicks.

• Stayed: November 2015, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Amoma.com
MooneyHotelGroup, Guest Relations Manager at Wellington Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2015

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of your recent stay with us. We were particularly happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and complimented the team in their service; as we often say that our staff are our greatest assets.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Guest Relations

Reviewed 26 November 2015

Booked into hotel and looked very dated on arrival. The room I was allocated was very poor. no proper hangers, no soap, stains all over the carpet, very lumpy bed, found hairs in both bath. sink and bed! but most of all the window did not have any latch to close so had to remain open all night on a cold Nov evening. I had to place a blanket around window to stop the cold. Reported it to front desk and they did not seem to bothered. asked how they could give me a room with an broken window they just smiled and gave no answer in the end I asked for an additional heater which helped.

• Stayed: November 2015, travelled on business
1  Thank graham h
MooneyHotelGroup, General Manager at Wellington Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2015

Dear Guest,

It was with great concern that I read your review of the Wellington Park Hotel following your recent stay and the irregular occurrences. The experiences that you have described, are in no way reflective of our usually high standard of customer service and housekeeping. I can assure you that your comments have been the subject of a team management review, to ensure that any similar lapses couldn't be repeated.

Our policy in any such occurrence is to first offer a room change, which you had elected against, therefore, the Duty Manager was more than happy to offer assistance in manually adjusting the heating in the room as well as an addition heater. Being a family managed hotel, we pride ourselves on offering every guest a home away from home.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Wellington Park Hotel in the near future.

Best wishes,

Reviewed 23 November 2015 via mobile

Nice welcome by reception if not a little slow due to multi-tasking check in and phone.
The bedroom and main areas do lack that 'wow' factor but then it is only 3 stars.
Bed was comfy but lots of noise from the road which disturbed sleep.
The bathroom did not appeal, just felt tired and spotless it wasn't.
Food was very good however but don't think I would return. Rather pay more and stay in a quieter location.

Stayed: November 2015, travelled on business
MooneyHotelGroup, General Manager at Wellington Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2015

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel after your recent stay. We have also received great feedback from your function attendees, which we always appreciate.

I was really pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay overall, yet sorry to learn of the shortfalls you experienced in regards to housekeeping. We are currently completing a refurbishment cycle of our bathrooms; and this is further support as to why it is being prioritised.

We hope to welcome you back once these improvements are complete.

Reviewed 18 November 2015

The best thing about this hotel is its location, a few minutes walk from Queen's University and not far from the city centre. There were a few oddities about the hotel, which were almost charming - the chip shop incorporated into the front gate was a first for me, and some of the decor inside the hotel was dated, and almost art nouveau. But not quite. The place certainly looks tired, and could do with careful modernisation, and there was an apparent absence of attention to detail - and without going into detail, I found the toilet paper was not located within easy reach. One the plus side, the staff were pleasant enough, there was free wifi in the rooms, the breakfast was fine and the place was clean. I would have given the hotel an OK 3 star rating, but my booked alarm call didn't happen, which meant I had to rush in the morning. So, an accumulation of factors made me feel that this wasn't really a very good experience at all.

• Stayed: November 2015, travelled on business
MooneyHotelGroup, Guest Relations Manager at Wellington Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2015

Dear Guest,

We appreciate you taking the time to complete a comprehensive review of Wellington Park.

We were pleased to note that you enjoyed your stay overall, however may I sincerely apologise for your disappointment in regards to your wake-up call. I would like to assure you that we have escalated this oversight with the relevant departments for training purposes, so that any such instances could be avoided.

Many thanks,