All reviews observatory bar seahorse restaurant hastings hotels hastings group afternoon tea espa toiletries stunning hotel first floor bar manager pleasure of staying the ground floor luxury hotel from start to finish every member of staff birthday treat saturday night belfast hotel
Reviewed 16 September 2018 via mobile

We had a wonderful 2 days in this stunning hotel.
Everything was top notch from the cocktails to the views to the amazing room... Big bath and such a comfortable bed! Highly recommended during your NI visit.

Date of stay: September 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
StephenM5790, Front Office Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2018

Dear Roni G,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Grand Central Hotel.

I am delighted you enjoyed our wonderful rooms and found them well appointed and comfortable (especially our cloud mattresses). When in Belfast it is essential to take a break from it all and enjoy a good cocktail and catchup and I am pleased you were able to do this while enjoying the wonderful views from our bar. I will pass on your wonderful comments to all the team. I hope that we will get the opportunity to welcome you back again in the near future.

Reviewed 15 September 2018

The entrance to the hotel was grand and the staff friendly, but the car park not up and running on our arrival (despite the hotel having been open for 6 weeks) and car parking in the vicinity not easy. A member of staff parked our car for us in a neighbouring hotel car park.

The room was stylish and the bed comfortable. However, two design faults were significant. The air conditioning / ventillation system in the bedroom kicked in just after 7 am and cold air was blown onto our faces as we lay in bed. I had to get out of bed to switch off the aircon. The temperature reading was 11 degrees centigrade and the room was chilly.

I went to switch on the bathroom light, but it did not work. I eventually worked out that I had to switch on the bedside light (the last light to be switched off the night before) in order for the bathroom light switch to work, When I had switched on the bathroom light, I went back to switch off the bedside light and the bathroom light went off again. I have never come across such odd wiring.

I could hear the water in the neighbouring bathroom running at the head end of our bed. Again a design fault or problem with lack of insulation?

I wanted to use the gym before breakfast but was told it was not up and running. The hotel was obviously opened before it was finished (gym and car park). Disappointing for a hotel that markets itself as a luxury hotel.

The breakfast was self service. There was a good choice of cereals, cooked breakfast and continental breakfast, but the choice of fruit (melon and pineapple) and the DIY toaster was again not what we had been expecting. I have been to a number of hotels around Ireland this year which were cheaper and where there was a breakfast menu with waiter service. I was surprised there was nothing like Eggs Benedict or a choice of omelettes available.

In fact, the breakfast was comparable to a Premier Inn breakfast. The coffee alone was better in the Grand Central Hotel. It was surprising to find so many waiters walking about the dining room when breakfast was self service.

We did not dine at the hotel, as we had booked a table at an excellent independent restaurant in the city; the dinner was the highlight of our stay in Belfast.

Our stay at the Grand Central Hotel was disappointing. Next time we visit Belfast, we shall try one of the hotels in the vicinity and hope for a more memorable visit.

Date of stay: August 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
5  Thank allison362

Dear allison362,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback.

I am disappointed that on this occasion we have not met your expectations. I apologise if there was a bit of confusion over parking. We do not have our own Car park at the Grand Central Hotel but do offer a valet parking service which I see you had availed of.

All our rooms offer air conditioning units which our guests can control and set the temperature in their room. I am not sure if you had contacted our front desk to let them know of any issues you faced during your stay as I know they would have loved to make sure your stay was comfortable with little disruption.

With 300 bedrooms our breakfast room and be very busy and in order to ensure efficient service and offer many of our guests a large variety at breakfast we offer the Full Irish Buffet which we source many of our ingredients locally. Thank you for your menu suggestions. We are happy to take all feedback to improve our offerings in the future.

Its is only with our guests feedback that we can try and improve on the service and facilities that we already offer and ensure that out standards are only improving. If you decide to stay with us again please contact our reception team and let us know if there is anything we can do to ensure your next stay is more memorable.

Reviewed 14 September 2018

My friend and I find this a very central place to meet in the city. We have already met on a few occasions and each time our visit was thoroughly enjoyed and exceeded all our expectations.

The Commissionaire - John - welcomed us on each visit in a very professional manner and enquired how we enjoyed our experience as we were leaving. He was extremely pleasant and courteous on each occasion. He has transferred from the Slieve Donard Hotel in Newcastle and their loss is the Grand Central's gain!! He is an asset to the Hastings group.

We have sampled breakfast and lunch in the Grand Café on the ground floor which has assorted seating and is perfect for a casual meeting or catch-ups at any time of the day. We have had coffees and treats in the Seahorse Lounge on the 2nd floor with it's lavish furnishings and amazing city views. The service throughout, by very friendly and courteous staff, has been impeccable.

The Hotel is very convenient to the Europa bus/train station - just five minutes walk away.

I am now looking forward to my next visit which is a birthday treat of Afternoon Tea in the Observatory on the 23rd floor. (Please note - there is a dress code here.) There is an excellent lift service.

• Trip type: Travelled with friends

Dear OAP20,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know of your experiences in our hotel.

I am so pleased that the service and quality of food have exceeded your expectations and that you are looking forward to returning and enjoying an afternoon tea with a view from our 23rd floor Observatory. We appreciate your custom and loyalty and I am so happy that we have become a regular meeting place to catch up with friends and enjoy the afternoon. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 14 September 2018 via mobile

I visited this lovely hotel in Belfast for the first time last week with friends and there was 4 of us, we had booked for a night stay and decided to have our dinner before we went out and we had a lovely girl as our server, her name was Andrea. I’m sure me and my friends were tortures asking for all different things and asking so many questions but this girl Andrea couldn’t have been any nicer, never took the smile of her face, she was warm and bubbly and went out of her way to help us without any moaning or complaining as i find loads of servers do in restaurants around Belfast. I will definitely be back and will recommend here to friends even if it’s just for food as the service was quick, helpful and we felt at home and felt relaxed and wanted there. I can see this girl going far as she’s great costumer service skills and it doesn’t seem a job to her, thanks for the great service and help we had that weekend, look froward to returning !!

Trip type: Travelled with friends

Dear saoirsec96,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback regarding you dinner in our Seahorse restaurant.

I am so pleased you were impressed with the service given by Andrea and that nothing was too much bother. I know Andrea is a real ambassador for what customer service should be in the Grand Central and we are sure she will progress in her career in hospitality. We hope to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.

Reviewed 14 September 2018 via mobile

This hotel is stunning. The staff are so friendly and helpful and the little touches are just brilliant.

The observatory bar on the top floor is worth a visit for the views of Belfast alone. I went up in the evening and it was lovely.

A great breakfast selection with plenty of gluten free options too which was nice.

Would definitely recommend!

Trip type: Travelled solo

Dear Louise P,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay in the Grand Central.

I am so pleased there were so many aspects of your stay that you enjoyed and that the service was first class. I hope that we will get the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel again soon.