“Love the tapas ”

The Barking Dog Restaurant Belfast
Reserve with OpenTable
The Barking Dog Restaurant Belfast is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #50 of 1,211 Restaurants in Belfast
Price range: US$6 - US$29
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 18 February 2018 via mobile

Visited the Barking Dog recently as pre-theatre dining. I simply love the tapas- next time I go I’ll only have these. The flavours were amazing. Not that the Tandoori cooked fish wasn’t good, it was, I just preferred the taste experience of the tapas.

Date of visit: January 2018
Write a ReviewReviews (1,446)

Reviewed 17 February 2018 via mobile

Having heard many good things about the Barking Dog, I felt confident when I booked here for Valentine’s Day dinner with my boyfriend.

The decor and atmosphere was lovely, so no complaints there. I also had two cocktails that were amazing.

We decided to order from the Valentine’s menu - it was £26 for two courses and £30 for three, so not a bad deal. Both myself and my boyfriend knew what we wanted and ordered fairly quickly.

I have an allergy to celery, and whilst I understand that this isn’t a common allergy and many kitchens use it, I was made to feel like a nuisance to the waitress. I was informed that almost everything was cooked in a stock that contained celery, and when I asked for just a plain piece of chicken, this wasn’t available (most restaurants offer this if their mains contain celery). I could have no starter (had to watch my boyfriend eat his), and there was little understanding from the staff.

The only thing I could order for the main was steak, so I ordered this and switched the chunky chips to French fries. Steak (which was £30) came out beautifully cooked and I was really enjoying it until a found a long, thick, black hair wrapped round it. I have long hair, and I checked that it wasn’t mine (it was stuck to the steak, almost charred on), and for £30 I had to send it back. This was fine and the staff were great about it. Just a little annoying that my new steak arrived with chunky chips instead of French fries. The steak was extremely fatty too, and for £30 for this meal I was not impressed.

I was going to get a dessert (as part of the Valentine’s deal) but after all this I just wanted to go home.

They did knock a cocktail off the bill, but for all the good things I had heard I really wasn’t impressed by the quality and I felt let down regarding the allergy issue. My boyfriend really enjoyed his food, but I unfortunately won’t be back.

Reviewed 12 February 2018 via mobile

After travelling for 12 hours!! All we wanted was something to eat and bed! I quickly searched on tripadvisor and this place popped up as number 4 in the nearby area. I’ll say we’re glad we went! It was very busy for a Monday night and we were greeted and seated within minutes. The menu is small which is a good sign because you know it will be fresh. They offer tapas, pasta, fish and meat. There’s also a specials menu. The waiters and waitresses were attentive and constantly filled our glasses. The tapas was lovely and so fresh! Would recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed 12 February 2018

Food and drinks were very good.
Atmosphere was casual and relaxed.
Food was over priced for what it was and I feel it didn't really reflect the location.

Reviewed 8 February 2018

Our last night on holiday and we missed our dogs after 16 days. So I choose this place and it was a memorable last meal in the UK. Somewhat quaint good ambiance. Service was really good and the dinner was excellent. We tried 5-6 different Tapas with a bottle of wine and dessert. Really good.

Date of visit: November 2017