“Copthorne Cardiff - Good Rooms - Poor Bar/Restaurant”

Copthorne Hotel Cardiff-Caerdydd
Ranked #29 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed 13 October 2017

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank richardcook4
Rebecca C, Front Office Manager at Copthorne Hotel Cardiff-Caerdydd, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2017

Write a ReviewReviews (1,142)

Reviewed 9 October 2017

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank F4199CZlee

Reviewed 7 October 2017

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank philipjamesm2017

Reviewed 4 October 2017

I stayed at the Copthorne Hotel Cardiff recently and overall our stay was terrible. Whilst one member of staff was polite and helpful the general feeling was of everything from the hotel exterior, internal décor, and service, being tired and weary.
I booked the room via Hotels.com for around £150 for the one night which was a bit steep but on the bright side this included bed and breakfast for two (as confirmed by my booking email), and I went for the club room option which was said to be superior to a standard room. The other reason booked the hotel was it was close to the bus route for anevent we wanted to attend – something I had checked prior to booking.
When we checked in I was told breakfast wasn’t included. When I queried this, as I was sure it was included as part of my booking, I was told “I’m not sure why but there’s something with hotel.coms system that seems to show people they have breakfast when they don’t’.” As we were laden down with baggage and keen to get to our room, I didn’t query this further at that point. When I got to the room and checked my confirmation email, I saw it did indeed confirm breakfast WAS included. This clearly seemed to be an issue the hotel is aware of – but one they should take up with the booking company, not guests who have actually paid for bed and breakfast in advance on good faith. Not great.
I also asked about the bus stop to the event. The young lady called across a gentleman working on reception who came over. When I explained we had bus tickets booked to the event and asked where the bus stop was he informed me that there was no bus to that particular event close the hotel. In fact we would have to get a bus all the way into Cardiff City Centre and then get a bus from the bus station there to the next area. I was a bit surprised by this as had booked the hotel based on it being close to the bus route, based on the information provided by the event organisers. I explained to the man at reception that it wasn’t a standard bus service but one put on specifically by the event organisers for that particular day and I was sure there was a bus stop close to the hotel that the coaches were collecting people from. At this point, in a very condescending tone he told me he had received the same enquiry from ‘many, many’ people that day – and told them the same information. They would have to go into Cardiff City central for a bus and then get another bus from there.
Imagine my surprise, when I double checked the confirmation email upon getting into our room, that it highlighted that the bus stop we required was in fact one minute from the Copthorne Hotel, in fact, so close, I could see the bus stop from reception! I can only be thankful that I didn’t take the male receptionists advice and I only hope that the “many, many” other people that he spoke to that day, also didn’t! You would expect the hotel reception to be able to give you accurate information about where the nearest bus stop is located even if they don’t know which route it covers.
I’m sure they were having a busy day and the fact he was condescending might have been passable -if the information I’d been giving was actually right.
Finally, the Club room was extremely dated, circa 1992 I’m guessing, and the bathroom had dirty tiles and shower curtain. I believe there is a leisure club at the hotel (not that we were told) but I decided not to bother using it based on the cleanliness of the bathroom. If that room was one of their superior rooms I would not like to see a standard one! Overall a very poor experience from start to finish, with misinformed staff, and certainly not worth £150 a night. I wouldn’t go back.

Room Tip: We paid extra for an upgrade and you will see how dated the room décor was so not sure what to advis...