All reviews four poster welsh cakes bute park city centre fresh fruit bay window full welsh breakfast small hotel sophia gardens sitting room lovely park lovely hotel breakfast was delicious no lift minute walk b bs powerful shower
Reviewed 19 July 2018

There weren't really, but I'll cover that later!

This is isn't a corporate 'cookie cutter' hotel with all it's character removed. This is a hotel in a Victorian building with Victorian character and quirks.

All the staff we met were friendly and helpful. We were there in graduation week, so the hotel was full, but the service was still as good as you'd expect. The breakfast was very nice and was plenty so set us up for the day.

We booked our room late and got the last one available, a room with a 4 poster and period style furniture. The window drapes were 10' long blackout curtains. When drawn, with the 4 poster, period furniture and the world outside shut off, you could almost hear hounds howling from across the moors - rather than being in a city.

The hotel has its own car park and is within walking distance of the park and the castle. If you want to go to the water front, that's a taxi ride.

There are communal rooms which seem very under used. As there's no lift at the hotel, these might better be used as rooms for guests who can't manage stairs.

If you like the corporate style hotels, this one won't be for you. If you want something with character, which adds more to your break than just a being a 'base' - it's well worth checking it out. I really liked it - quirks and all.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
LincolnHouseCardiff, Owner at Lincoln House Private Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2018

Thanks for your review. I'm glad that you enjoyed the character of our lovely Victorian hotel!

Reviewed 18 July 2018

When on business I tend to use corporate hotels - only because they make me appreciate when i dont have to use them.....
This week in Cardiff is graduation time and with 20,000 students that means c5000 set of proud parents wanting a room - so my travel company placed me in one of the few rooms left in town @ The Lincoln.
First impressions - flaking paint but very clean stone work - turns out exterior renovations are in progress - thats good someone cares
Its a long time since i stood on a door step with my case ringing the bell ! - once in welcomed by owner - friendly chap and quickly I was in my room - it was immaculate - good carpet, fresh devoration, nice light fittings, comfy bed, lots of power points, wi fi, whilst a bit warm there was a fan so all good. Tea and Coffee (welsh) buscuits ( Scottish - Bronte). Small bathroom - better if had been shower only so to give more room - but again really bright and clean - could do with some shelve space - oh the soaps were 'botted in Wales.
Down stairs was a rather 'retro' guests sitting room - that and the near redundant bar room to rear were the down sides - whilst the owners have had the place for just a year its fair they cant address everything - but i suggusted to the owner they convert both to easy access rooms for thosewith mobility challenge - he said he was on it for one room anyway - that would be great improvement as they at present a big downside.
Breakfast was good, service friendly, bacon etc all local.
So in all really good execution of delivery - oh my title to review - it seems the first owner was American and named the house after his Preseident - thus me usingbthe quote as i beleive the current owners are trying their best to be as good as they can - if i may suggust incorporate the Lincoln theme into the branding - our US friend's would love that ! May well be back - to see the newly painted windows ........

Room Tip: At the rear.
  • Stayed: July 2018, travelled on business
LincolnHouseCardiff, General Manager at Lincoln House Private Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2018

Thank you for your review and constructive comment which we shall give full consideration to and share with our team!

Reviewed 17 July 2018 via mobile

We choose Lincoln house based on the description of the hotel and the trip advisor reviews. We were disappointed. It is a fair walk to the town centre, especially in the heat and it is situated on a busy street. Our room faced the street and with the heat we needed to leave the window open so our sleep was disturbed by the traffic noise. The decor is shabby and one of the slats on the blind in our window was broken. Another review mentioned the toiletries, which can be purchased. However I didn’t even get a shower cap and when I asked none could be found.
All in all I am surprised this hotel is rated so highly.

Stayed: July 2018

Thank you for your review and feedback which is always very much appreciated. Having taken over the hotel this time last year we are gradually addressing all the very many issues that require attention. This includes upgrading those rooms that we feel require some attention. Shower caps are available however our new receptionist was unable to locate them when asked.

Reviewed 12 July 2018 via mobile

The room was nice and the location by the park was convenient. We visited during the heat wave and the room was very hot, but a fan was provided. Breakfast was very crowded. We had to wait about 10 minutes for a table but the food was good.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review which was very much appreciated!

Reviewed 11 July 2018

Its a beautiful building and the staff is just 5 star - no complains. Breakfast was great, they even gave us something to take away from the breakfast buffet the day we couldn't stay for breakfast.

Room was comfortable and location was fantastic.

On the last day there was a totally absurd situation with the toiletries - there was a notice in the room talking about how wonderful the toiletries were and they were made in Wales etc so I picked up a bottle of the hand lotion and another bottle. After we checked our the lady asked us to return this - this was fine but she was a little odd about it asking us for it about 5-6 time even after I told her I am going to take it out of my bag. I would only suggest they state clearly that the toiletries should be left in the room since the notice does not mention this and I was a little put off by them reusing used toiletries? Was a bit of a funny situation since I pick up toiletries in almost every hotel!

Room Tip: Don't take the toiletries!
  • Stayed: July 2018, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Twitter as feedback is always very much appreciated.

With regards the point you raise concerning our toiletries we would confirm that all toiletries are sourced from Myddfai a charity employing people with physical disabilities and those with learning difficulties. This is all part of our Social Support and Networking Policy. The toiletries sourced from Myddfai are supplied in 250ml bottles in each bathroom and are sanitised every day and topped-up when required. These toiletries may be purchased by guests from reception on departure.

We are pleased that you enjoyed your overall stay and look forward to your staying with us again in the near future!