“dinner for2”
Review of The Gwydyr Hotel

The Gwydyr Hotel
Ranked #18 of 32 Restaurants in Betws-y-Coed
Cuisines: British, Bar
Description: The Gwydyr Hotel is a beautiful property which dates back to the early 1800s. Originally a small private dwelling, the property was extended to become a hotel in the 1880s. Lying in the heart of Snowdonia the Gwydyr Hotel is surrounded by some of the most picturesque scenery in North Wales. Situated in the centre of the pretty village of Betws-y-Coed and overlooking the delightful village green, the hotel provides the perfect setting for a relaxing and memorable break. The Gwydyr Hotel is particularly well known to people who find their greatest pleasure in fishing and the history of local Salmon and Trout catches can still be viewed to this day. All ground floor rooms have roaring log fires for those cold gloomy days. As you would expect, our service is friendly and attentive, the atmosphere relaxed and easy. cosy up to the log fire with a pint of real ale, order coffees and homemade cakes or relax with an afternoon cream tea, whichever you choose, you will be guaranteed a welcome
Reviewed 1 October 2020

We prefered to eat in town, for the good choice available.
This is not the cheapest place, but the food is good.
Football fans are well served, as there is a white wall in the dining room with an overhead projector.

Date of visit: September 2020
Write a reviewReviews (207)

Reviewed 20 September 2020 via mobile

I wish I had read the other reviews of this place before booking a table! The food is overpriced and very poor quality, you would eat better food at a Wetherspoons and pay half the price. Service was slow but the staff were clearly rushed off their feet and we had to ask for our table to be cleaned, really not great Covid safety. The food was poorly cooked, possible microwaved. Sauces were watery and the meat a very odd texture. We complained and an apology was made by our server but no offer of removing the barely touched meals from our bill.

Reviewed 19 September 2020

We were there for food on Monday, service was very long waiting and unfriendly. I understand they were overly busy noticed only two person doing everything that evening we appreciate that but food was really bad quality the price they charged.

Reviewed 8 September 2020

When we arrive I had to ask three times for our table to be cleaned, during coronavirus pandemic. Food very poor and over priced for the quality.

Reviewed 2 September 2020

We were in Betws-y-Coed over the August bank holiday weekend and booked a table for the Saturday night. I was surprised to get a booking at such late notice, as the whole town was extremely busy, and now I know why! The staff were all friendly enough, but the service and the food is just not up to scratch. Once we were shown to our table I had to queue up for about half an hour just to get a drink. There was only one "barman" serving, and he was nice enough but was certainly not in any rush. Why they couldn't put more staff on when the queue was snaking half way around the hotel is a mystery. Once I got to the front of the queue I decided to order our meals at the same time as I didn't want to have to queue again! When the meals came, they were overcooked, dry and unappealing. I had the half chicken and my son had chicken nuggets. They were overcooked and on the verge of being burnt. I know it was busy, but surely these aren't difficult meals to cook? I wouldn't recommend this place.

Date of visit: August 2020