Lock in the lowest price from these sites
StayForLong
eDreams
ZenHotels.com
All reviews guest house family suite single room spacious room lovely view beautiful location night stay north wales julie annex snowdonia hosts
Selected filters
Reviewed 18 September 2020

Arrived at Church Hill House on tuesday 15th September for a 3 night stay. The hotel is in a beautiful location, right behind the church in Betws-y-coed and within a 3 minute walk of the shops/restraunts and river for a lovely walk. Julie the owner is lovely and throughout the stay was very helpful.

We were placed in room 15 in the annex (upstairs, back left), and immediately entering the room we felt it dated, but large in size. There was an overwhelming smell of chlorinated disinfectant showing that the owners are really well sanitising the rooms between guests. Sadly, the good things end there.

Upon looking around the room I felt the bedsheets felt a little moist, and I noticed some dark mould on the wall in the corner behind the bed. It was obvious this mould had been previously washed off but was growing back. The window in the bathroom is a velux, and it had obviously failed. It was rotten around the edges and incredibly dirty. Lastly the bed in the room was horrendoulsly uncomfortable, an old style very cheap sprung mattress with no foam padding, it was the worst night sleep I have ever had on night one.

In the evening we noticed that the walls between the rooms were incredibly thin. We had two other bedrooms upstairs with us, and we could hear word for word the other guests conversations, showers, sink taps running, TVs and in the night we couold hear them snoring. It was very loud and totally off putting, I felt the whole time that I had to whisper so people couldnt hear me, and it kept me and my husband up all night.

Breakfast was good, during covid they cannot open the dining room for obvious reasons, so it was delivered to the room. Bang on time every morning. I have to admit, not a great deal of variety, they still advertise a full welsh breakfast but the only hot options are a bacon or sausage sandwich. I honestly do not see why a full welsh breakfast cannot be offerred to the guests rooms? I think its an oversight and defintely tainted our stay.

Overall, I have mixed reviews of the hotel, lovely owner and in a great location, but rooms are dated, have problems and walls are so thin. I think this hotel would be great for bikers or people who are out to explore snowdonia and wont be spending a great deal of time in their rooms, but for anyone who spends a considerable amount of time in their room its not the best place to be.

Room tip: Room 15 has soom serious issues with mould - I would avoid.
Date of stay: September 2020
Reviewed 21 August 2020

Want to thank Tony and Julie for a great 2 day stay last week. We stayed in the family suite with our two wee poodles and 5 year old. Mum in law in a single room. Nice clean rooms and great location near to everything in Betws-y-coed. The hosts did everything they could to make us comfortable and safe during these particularly challenging times. They were on hand or at the end of a phone should we have needed them but it wasn’t necessary as everything we needed was already in place. The continental breakfast was great with plenty on offer and the bacon and sausage rolls were much appreciated and not expected.

We will be back again. Thanks for everything guys!!!!!

Sean, Rachael, Rory, Margaret and pooches x

Date of stay: August 2020
Reviewed 10 February 2020

I have stayed at Church Hill House for many years when visiting the area. Julie and Tony are by far the most friendly and accomodating hosts you will ever meet.

During the weekend 7-10 Feb, storm Clara hit North Wales, stopping our group travelling home on our motorbikes due to the extreme weather, julie and Tony accommodated us for the extra night.

First class location
First class value for money
First class breakfast
First class hosts

Cant praise the hotel enough.

Date of stay: February 2020
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 September 2019

A birthday treat from my wife found us arriving very early before our booked check.in time but this was not an issue at all and we were promptly booked in to room 1 which was a very spacious layout compared to some hotels we have visited....A large double bed and a sofa occupied the room and it made a welcome change to be able to watch tv from the sofa instead of lying on the bed....There was loads of storage space and also a very clean and warm ensuite with plenty of complimentary shower products...Next morning found us facing a very nice and big cooked breakfast which along with all different fruits,cereals and juices would cater for most tastes and certainly set us up for the day ahead..The hotel is nicely located for all local amenities and I just wish the weather had been as nice as this family run hotel was....Enjoyed the stay and am sure we will be be returning..

Date of stay: September 2019
Reviewed 1 September 2019

Stayed there with my friend for a few days, the location is great for walks and driving - everything is within an hours drive! Also you have to try hot welsh cakes served just across the road at the station!

Date of stay: August 2019