“Excellent !”

The Courthouse (Henllys)
Ranked #19 of 47 Betws-y-Coed B&B and Inns
Reviewed 7 June 2015

Richard & Tanya were welcoming and made us feel right at home, set in a beautiful location. The room was wonderful with a fantastic view over the river, spotlessly clean and tidy. Although the B&B was full at the time we would never have known as it was so quiet. Superb choice and quality of breakfasts - We will definitely be going back

• Stayed: June 2015, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Courthouse (Henllys)

Reviewed 30 May 2015

We had a wonderful warm welcome from Richard and really enjoyed the coffee and cake in the garden on a sunny if a little blustery May afternoon. It was wonderful to be in the centre of the village but not near the crowds. The B&B has its own parking which is very useful if you are there at a busy time. We were in the Handcuff Room which was very comfortable and quiet. A very large and tasty breakfast next morning were much appreciated.

• Stayed: May 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 May 2015

We stayed for 3 nights at the Courthouse. The building was beautiful and the location could not have been better. It was so central, just off the main road and 3 mins walk from the station but so quiet and peaceful. We were met by Richard who brought us coffee, tea and homemade cakes in the garden, which again is stunning overlooking the river. We told him our plans to climb Snowden and have nice walks. He was extremely helpful with so much information. We took all his advice as we were novice climbers, and we were very grateful for it. He also gave us printouts with directions of local walks he had put together that we mentioned being interested in.
We stayed in the handcuff room which we requested to be a twin, very nice, spacious, comfortable and spotless. The breakfast, we were totally spoilt. Each morning we came down to fresh fruit salad containing every fresh fruit you can imagine, cereals, preserves, yogurts, tea, coffee, toast. You also have a choice of all different cooked or continental. We opted for the full Welsh breakfast each day, this was delicious. Opt for the poached eggs with breakfast, we had 12 between us and everyone was perfect. Richard and Tanya were so kind, nothing was too much and their hosting skills were 5 star.

• Stayed: May 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 May 2015

I can't think of another B&B or Guesthouse in Betws y Coed that history buffs will love more than The Courthouse, also known as Henllys. Not only is the building, itself, the legitimate refurbished Victorian village courthouse, but it's also a stone's throw from the oldest building in Betws y Coed -- Old St. Michael's Church, first established in the 14th century. What's more, the house overlooks the gorgeous Conwy River, as well as the pieced stone fences that divide critter-studded sheep pastures in the valleys of this green, green mountain country.

Richard and Tanya are warm, gentle, friendly hosts, truly willing to go the extra mile in every way. And what's most lovely is the sense one feels that THEY are genuinely happy to be here. This isn't just some way to pay the bills -- they love it here, and they want others to love this place in turn. They truly want to share.

During my stay, I had the pleasure (yes!) of staying in the Convicted Felons Room(s) on the ground floor. This is one of the best settings for those who want to be reminded of the building's past, as I was every time I turned the key in the ancient lock on my door ... then spun back around again to lock myself into the suite with the very same key. (The Convicted Felons suite offers a small reception area, once the old holding corridor through which prisoners were led to and from their cells. The brick here is marvelously exposed, yellow in color, and the passage to the bedroom/cell even offers a couch with a warm wool throw.)

The bedroom is the remaining cell on "the block", its jailer's door intact wit slots for food and a jangle of old keys. And yet, while once a cell, the small bedroom is not unlike a nest, and equally peaceful now. Through an open window, one cannot only hear the church bells of St. Mary's, but also what must be dozens upon dozens of birds, the whistle of the children's steam train at the nearby Railway Museum, and even the rustle of the "big" trains that come in and out at semi-infrequent intervals (mostly the afternoons) at the Betws y Coed station, which is also a very short walk from the guesthouse. None of these noises are the least bit disruptive; they are the tune of a community that is beyond pleasant, beyond beautiful. There is heart here, and I am honest when I say I believe I felt it all the more by staying at the Courthouse.

If there's anything to "warn" one about, it's that a) there's not a great deal of storage in the Convicted Felons suite, b) the bathroom is very basic: just a shower stall and a sink and toilet, etc. But what more does one need? This is the Convicted Felons Room(s), after all! (Besides, the housekeeping services provided are so precise and careful, I never felt like I was slumming it.)

I am grateful to have been a guest here for several days. Please take a look at my photos, which include not only my rooms and the grounds, but also a few other guestrooms that owner Tanya let me peek into on request. (I just wanted to compare, and although my "residence" was by far the least ornate, it was also the most unique ... and I wouldn't have traded it for all the river views and antiques -- of which there are plenty -- in the world.)

Room Tip: 1) If you're not good with stairs, I'm afraid the only room on the ground floor is the Convi...
  • Stayed: May 2015, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 May 2015

Lovely place to stay for a night. We visited on a short trip this weekend. Richard was very welcoming. He greeted us with cake and tea. The room was clean and beautiful. Breakfast was also a pleasant surprise! We would definitely go back again.

• Stayed: May 2015, travelled as a couple