All reviews big room belly pork new owners lovely hotel an evening meal pie comfy bed pleasant stay lovely food stayed here for nights many thanks biscuits cooked breakfast north wales snowdon rear walks
Selected filters
Reviewed 15 September 2020

Firstly when booking they were extremely accommodating offering to put a Z bed in for our 3 year old when alot of places wanted us to book a separate single room for him.
Having looked at the pictures this place looked modern & most importantly clean.
We arrived on the August bank holiday & there was no parking with no solution from reception. It should state there is limited parking.
When entering the room it was clear it was in need of updating it was old & tired.. but we was happy to make the most of it as a family night away.. we left the bags in the room headed out to explore & then came back for dinner which we had booked.. after dinner we went back up to the room which was when we started to realise how dirty the room was.. we moved the Z bed & it was clear the carpet had not been hoovered.. the bathroom was extremely tired which we could accept but the pubic hairs around the skirting boards of the bathroom along with layers of dust & dirt was disgusting.. on further inspection of the room it was clear it hadn’t been cleaned for a long time.. given the current climate is very concerning.. The dust around all the skirting was thick.. the carpets were filthy.. even the bathroom door was thick with dust.. wondering how many people had touched that door & its clearly never been wiped down! Very disappointing.. we left early in the morning feeling dirty just wanting to go home to shower in our own bathroom!
When checking out i expressed how dirty the room was & how there was pubic hairs in the bathroom.. i was told ‘Sorry about that’ , i have since emailed to express how disappointed we were with our stay & the uncleanliness of our room.. attaching photos as evidence to be told they have a detailed cleaning procedure in place (clearly don't) & if we visit again we can have a discount. I would absolutely never ever want to stay in this hotel ever again! It was dirty which is a shame because its located in a beautiful place!

Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 7 September 2020 via mobile

Had a very nice time here staying for a few days midweek. We were in room 11 which was fine. Hotel is 3 star which I’d agree on and might need a little TLC in places which the new owners are fully aware of I’m sure. Given the year we have all had, a touch up of paint etc is the last of my worries. Breakfast and bar food were fine and good choice of drinks at the bar. Big shout out to Katie, Gemma and Adam who looked after us during our stay. Many Thanks
I WOULD stay here again without hesitation.

Date of stay: September 2020
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 6 September 2020 via mobile

Stayed for two nights whilst on a trip with a friend to trek Snowdon.

This was my first trip away with new social distancing measures in place. On the whole, this hotel was pretty good. Clearly still learning what works best from a service perspective whilst adhering to local rules on social distancing but all in all, a good job. People can be reassured The Gwydyr Hotel is doing what it should and more to ensure customer safety.

On this trip I met the owner who explained he’d taken over the hotel in early ‘20 and invested a fair bit so far. You can see this. Front of house is well finished and looks in keeping with the quaintness of the local area.

The room we were in (a family room) suggests a little more is needed to bring the rooms in line with expectation based on price. Quite small and missing basic touches such as toilet roll holder and bathroom lock. A lick of pain wouldn’t go amiss.

We had an issue with the plumbing on the floor causing excess noise in our room. The owner dealt with this well and provided a free meal and drinks as a good will gesture. The issue was fixed promptly.

Would recommend. Has some work to do but feels like The Gwydyr Hotel is in good hands and on the right track.

Date of stay: September 2020
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 September 2020

We were in Betws-y-Coed over the August bank holiday weekend and booked a table for the Saturday night. I was surprised to get a booking at such late notice, as the whole town was extremely busy, and now I know why! The staff were all friendly enough, but the service and the food is just not up to scratch. Once we were shown to our table I had to queue up for about half an hour just to get a drink. There was only one "barman" serving, and he was nice enough but was certainly not in any rush. Why they couldn't put more staff on when the queue was snaking half way around the hotel is a mystery. Once I got to the front of the queue I decided to order our meals at the same time as I didn't want to have to queue again! When the meals came, they were overcooked, dry and unappealing. I had the half chicken and my son had chicken nuggets. They were overcooked and on the verge of being burnt. I know it was busy, but surely these aren't difficult meals to cook? I wouldn't recommend this place.

Reviewed 31 August 2020

We were disappointed to arrive at the hotel, quite early, and still no parking space were available due to very limited availability and no real solution was offered at reception. We requested a quiet room and got a room above the bins which was also quite disappointing. The bedroom door offered a very light insulation which means we could hear every one passing through the corridor. Overall not a place to stay for a romantic weekend.