Lowest prices for your stay
US$197
SAVE US$38
Hotels.comUS$197
eDreamsUS$197
StayForLongUS$207
All reviews big room belly pork new owners lovely hotel an evening meal pie comfy bed pleasant stay lovely food stayed here for nights many thanks biscuits cooked breakfast north wales snowdon rear walks
Selected filters
Reviewed 6 September 2020 via mobile

Stayed for two nights whilst on a trip with a friend to trek Snowdon.

This was my first trip away with new social distancing measures in place. On the whole, this hotel was pretty good. Clearly still learning what works best from a service perspective whilst adhering to local rules on social distancing but all in all, a good job. People can be reassured The Gwydyr Hotel is doing what it should and more to ensure customer safety.

On this trip I met the owner who explained he’d taken over the hotel in early ‘20 and invested a fair bit so far. You can see this. Front of house is well finished and looks in keeping with the quaintness of the local area.

The room we were in (a family room) suggests a little more is needed to bring the rooms in line with expectation based on price. Quite small and missing basic touches such as toilet roll holder and bathroom lock. A lick of pain wouldn’t go amiss.

We had an issue with the plumbing on the floor causing excess noise in our room. The owner dealt with this well and provided a free meal and drinks as a good will gesture. The issue was fixed promptly.

Would recommend. Has some work to do but feels like The Gwydyr Hotel is in good hands and on the right track.

Date of stay: September 2020
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 September 2020

We were in Betws-y-Coed over the August bank holiday weekend and booked a table for the Saturday night. I was surprised to get a booking at such late notice, as the whole town was extremely busy, and now I know why! The staff were all friendly enough, but the service and the food is just not up to scratch. Once we were shown to our table I had to queue up for about half an hour just to get a drink. There was only one "barman" serving, and he was nice enough but was certainly not in any rush. Why they couldn't put more staff on when the queue was snaking half way around the hotel is a mystery. Once I got to the front of the queue I decided to order our meals at the same time as I didn't want to have to queue again! When the meals came, they were overcooked, dry and unappealing. I had the half chicken and my son had chicken nuggets. They were overcooked and on the verge of being burnt. I know it was busy, but surely these aren't difficult meals to cook? I wouldn't recommend this place.

Reviewed 31 August 2020

We were disappointed to arrive at the hotel, quite early, and still no parking space were available due to very limited availability and no real solution was offered at reception. We requested a quiet room and got a room above the bins which was also quite disappointing. The bedroom door offered a very light insulation which means we could hear every one passing through the corridor. Overall not a place to stay for a romantic weekend.

Reviewed 25 August 2020

We have stayed here and eaten here a lot over the years so as we were in Wales for the weekend, where else would we eat.
Booked a table well in advance and a good job we did as we have never seen the bar and restaurants so full.
Very Covid 19 aware throughout.
Very tasty delicious bar meals as always and at very reasonable prices.
Staff were very busy the whole time we were inside and must have been exhausted at the end of the night.
The new management have done a great job and the hotel is being transformed.

Date of stay: August 2020
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 August 2020 via mobile

This is a lovely, friendly place to stay and eat in every way. All the staff were friendly and couldn’t do enough for us. Lovely room very clean. Breakfast very well organised and was delicious. Evening food although only bar meals was lovely. At times they were very busy in the bar but the staff coped well and continued to be professional and work safely. My dogs really enjoyed there stay and had a fuss made of them which they loved other reviews that talk of poor safety measures and poor food I wonder were they staying in the same hotel because our stay could not have been more perfect. My only complaint is we had to leave. Thank you so much to you all we will be back soon.

Trip type: Travelled with family