“Great food, great wine. Brilliant host.”

Gales of Llangollen
Ranked #8 of 67 Restaurants in Llangollen
Price range: US$61 - US$61
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast
Reviewed 31 May 2018 via mobile

Ive visited quite a few restaurants in my heady 68 years. Lots with the long suffering head of fun and entertainment. She who will be obeyed. Mrs H. However this time ime fishing on the Dee, in llangollen. Hence my chance visit to Gales restaurant. Oh what a oasis of hospitality , food and wines. Yes wines plural. I tested the host well. And did he ever know his stuff. I started my experience with a rack of oils and balsamic vinigers. With home made breads. Accompanied by tasting notes written by mine host. Interesting and informative. I accompanied this with a local Welsh gin infused with red peppercorns . Really refreshing. I followed this with a Spanish braised pork in a capsicum onion paprika sauce. 5 star food. Accompanied by a glass of southern French mid dry wine. On my way to food heaven, for main course I chose Welsh lamb dish. Slow cooked shoulder with a heavenly reduced sauce. Accompanied with a bottle of Languedoc pinot noir. Brilliant suggestion from the host. Summing gales restaurant up. One of the best eating experiences I've had. This report comes from a person who has worked ,owned lots of restaurants. And I would say. Gales is a must on the gastranome search for food heaven.

1  Thank Ken H

Reviewed 1 May 2018

We always make a point if visiting Gales when in Llangollen. They have a fantastic selection of wines and always come out with more that went in for.

Reviewed 27 April 2018

Well what can we say!! This is a gem of a restaurant tucked away in Llangollen. We visited with another couple during a few days stay at a nearby hotel. My husband found it after reading the excellent reviews. The staff are great, really pleasant and knowledgeable about the food and wines, there's an excellent vegetarian choice for me. All I can say is you need to eat at this restaurant to realise why it gets all the excellent reviews. Superb food, superb wine, excellent service, be prepared to go home satisfied and full.
Make sure you book beforehand so as not to be disappointed

Reviewed 26 April 2018

Standard fare available in the many places to eat in Llangollen but little that is standard here. We were able to experience many of the offerings by choosing the "starter" rather than the main from a selection of dishes. This worked well and although some were not what we expected all were well prepared and interesting. Wine choice amazing and Pip Gale is a fine host.

Reviewed 18 April 2018 via mobile

I can only give 5 star because I couldn't fault the place. After being unpleasantly rejected by another place right in the water we wondered around Llangollen looking for a decent place to have a nice food in a proper classy restaurant rather than a pub food. So we ended up here. Not only the food was fantastic and even better than the original place we were meant to go to but also the staff was very proper and polite, took time explaining things and you didn't have to drag every bit of information out it was just given to you like they knew exactly what you would want. Really enjoyed our time. The atmosphere was very cosy and warm. And yes the food was amazing.

1  Thank Xxl15