All reviews llangollen canal large car park wedding reception bar meals lovely hotel wedding party evening meal lamb beautiful surroundings would stay again a bit tired booked this hotel pontcysyllte aqueduct new owners north wales bed and breakfast one night stay
Reviewed 21 September 2018

I had an enjoyable stay at the Bryn Howell Hotel. Tea and cake on arrival was a nice touch. My room was on the second floor with a view over the canal. The bed was extremely comfortable and there was a flat screen TV at the end of the bed. I was a bit unsure about the wooden flooring and lack of carpets but it was OK. The ensuite with walk-in shower was spotless. I was concerned that there was no bath mat for the shower and no grab rails on the wall. Otherwise it was OK with simple controls. It took a little while for the water to get hot but not too long.

Dinner was a three course affair with a choice of one of three starters, three or four mains and three sweets. The starters were excellent - smoked mackerel tart and prawn cocktail. The mains were OK although the meat wasn't quite as tender as I'd have liked. The sweets were good but I'd have liked a larger dollop of custard on my jam roly-poly and two rather than just one scoop of ice-cream with my Bakewell tart. Courses had to be chosen earlier in the day.

Breakfast was excellent, especially the first day when the porridge was perfect to my taste. The second day it was a little too runny and I only got one slightly overcooked egg (as opposed to two previously) and the chef or waitress forgot my beans. I didn't say anything as it was only a minor quibble.

Wifi was only available in the reception area and I kept losing access to the website I used most frequently. However there were very comfortable chairs to sit and relax in. All the staff I met were friendly and the hotel is set in lovely grounds. On the whole I was well pleased with my stay.

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled solo
2  Thank HydeDaily
Reviewed 10 September 2018 via mobile

Would like to thank Lorraine zabo for our wedding day brilliant venue great staff our day went without a single hitch and all our guests loved it many thanks to you all will recommend in the future to other people food was excellent rooms were superb
Kev and Michaela

Stayed: September 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Kev W
Reviewed 30 August 2018

We chose this hotel for my Birthday treat as we were so impressed with our 1st visit in April 2018.
We were not disappointed.
We had the same room as before, which is set up for a disabled wheelchair person. The room was clean, well stocked and serviced every day over our stay of 2 nights.
The meals were excellent and well catered for in regards to specific dietary needs. My husband has a nut allergy and I am totally allergic to Dairy and spices. The menu changed daily and there was plenty of options to choose from. The chef took the trouble to make me a dairy free pudding of Apple Crumble with custard!
There is Wi-Fi in the hotel but not in the bedrooms.
The rate charged is very reasonable for a luxury hotel with full board and 3 course dinner in the evening.
The staff are really polite, professional and helpful.
We would recommend Bryn Howell Hotel to everyone.

Room Tip: Room 1 is for wheelchair access. There is a room fully equipped for a disabled paralyzed person with a fully equipped wetroom.
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 July 2018

I stayed in this hotel thirty years ago when it was a family owned small country house hotel. Time has not been kind and the hotel is in great need of some investment. The rooms are fairly small and poorly equipped and although the staff try, things like daily room cleaning don’t seem to happen. Although there is supposed to be Wi-Fi in public areas only, its nearly non existent.
Breakfast was ok but lacked basic stuff like fruit and espresso coffee
I do hope that the new owners sort things out, as this could be a delightful hotel in a beautiful location

Room Tip: Canal and mountain views available
Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Cliveratnagiri
Reviewed 29 June 2018 via mobile

We arrived here it looked lovely on the outside beautiful surroundings and canal. Its a shame the reception staff arent as lovely as the outside they were so misserable and didnt make us feel welcome at all. We never ate in the evening as we went out to meet friends. The view from our room was superb and very clean and the bar staff were friendly. We had breakfast the following day which there was plenty of and morning staff were nice too. I wouldnt pay full price again.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple