“The breakfast that wasn't fried”

Victorian Tea Rooms
Ranked #39 of 112 Restaurants in Abergavenny
Cuisines: British
Reviewed 21 June 2018

Lovely place, friendly service etc but too late I noticed on the menu that they don't fry their cooked breakfasts, in the interests of 'health'. As a result my £7.50 'Big Cooked Breakfast' was a great disappointment - the sausages pale and undercooked, the scrambled egg tasteless, the mushrooms pale and rubbery, and they buttered my toast for me without asking - so I got the grease all right, but not where I wanted it. The coffee was good. I'll be back for a cream tea, but not for breakfast.

Reviewed 27 May 2018 via mobile

We were in Abergavenny for the first time ever and looked for somewhere for a light snack. We found these delightful tea rooms with lots of home cooked bakes which were very enticing. We ended up choosing a cream tea which was lovely and fresh and excellent value eaten in a charming setting. Well worth a visit

Reviewed 26 March 2018

This was our second visit to the tea rooms, we visited for lunch first and had a veggie all day breakfast, nice, jacket potatoes with cheese and coleslaw and a corned beef and potato pie, very little in the way of corned beef maybe a potato pie with a hint of corned beef! We then came back and had a cream tea which was lovely consisting of Welsh cake, plain scone with clotted cream and jam served with either tea or coffee. One if our party doesn't drink either and asked for hot chocolate but had to pay extra which I thought was a bit mean.

1  Thank Lynda F
Reviewed 26 March 2018 via mobile

Called in for some afternoon tea. Unimpressed with the quantity of tea leaves which resulted in a watery brew. Also, portion of clotted cream rather ungenerous too.

But the real issue was that the scones were heated in a microwave resulting in that unmistakable spongy quality. Totally ruined the cakes.

Will not return.

1  Thank Book L
Reviewed 5 March 2018

While away a wet lunch hour with the paper undisturbed. Lasagne quite tasty, but perhaps a better accompaniment than French bread might be devised. Cakes looked absolutely scrumptious. Service friendly and discreet.