“Great lunch and fabulous service”

Kings Arms Hotel Restaurant
Ranked #10 of 112 Restaurants in Abergavenny
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 28 July 2018 via mobile

Try it. It’s very good. Stopped for an impromptu lunch at this corner pub/ hotel and got a lovely surprise.
I wasn’t expecting much to be honest, so it was a delight to find a simple, clean and well laid out bar room with locals at the bar and a good range of real ales and wines.
The service was attentive if unhurried but I got the feeling that if we had wanted more than that we would have got it.
The menu was great. Close enough to traditional pub but with lots of reasonably priced extras. My son had avocado on toast with bacon, thick cut rashers edges crisp but still moist in the meaty part. My wife had a feta salad, fresh lettuce and lots of other lovely herbs and leaves, dill, lambs lettuce etc. it was a step above the usual and tasted beautiful. I had Cod and chips. Not a massive whole side but a thick 4” square of delicious, moist and very fresh fish in a light batter and served with properly good chips, peas and a light caper tartar sauce that set it all off a treat. Best I’ve had in years.
Like I say service was great, they bought a bowl of water for our dog, on what was a hot day and were just delightful all round.
With a couple of drinks each the bill was £45 so it was great value too.

Reviewed 27 July 2018 via mobile

If you get turned on by the whole gastro pub hype then this is the place for you. We hadn’t booked as it was mid-week so we simply turned up - it wasn’t busy lots of empty tables and yet a rather ‘grand’ and frosty waiter told us that he could squeeze us in , but that there would be a 20 minute wait for a table as the kitchen was dealing with other orders ... it really is the sort of nonsense you expect of London, not of a mid week stop off in wales ... anyway we voted with our feet and went elsewhere. I don’t like to feel anyone is doing me a favour especially not a pub that thinks it’s something other than it actually is ( anyway looking at the menu when we arrived the food didn’t reflect their online menu - that’s very tardy )

Reviewed 26 July 2018 via mobile

Worth the walk (we were coming from the canal). Lovely staff who gave the dog a water bowl and treats. Delicious food. Smoked chicken salad, carb salad, whitebait and the most fab garlic bread.

Reviewed 24 July 2018

This is a very historic, stone built pub. We booked the unusual and characterful function room for a wake. It has plenty of tables for sixty and its own bar with excellent real ale (Hereford Pale Ale!!!). Everything was ready on time and the buffet was excellent. One barmaid was a bit difficult about pouring my beer completely flat as I asked for it but that is my only niggle. All of the other staff were helpful and attentive and all of the guests had a good experience. It is always difficult to estimate how many people would be able to come to a wake on a workday afternoon and despite a huge attendance at the church, we significantly over catered. However, the staff readily offered doggy bags for all attending. I would not hesitate to book there again.

A note of warning: there are two pubs in the centre of Abergavenny with similar names. One family member from another part of Wales was late arriving because he went to The King's Head instead of The Kings Arms. This is a warning about potential confusion and does not imply any criticism of the The King's Head, which I have not attended.

Reviewed 19 July 2018

See my hotel review. This is a real gem of a place, dripping with character, friendly staff, excellent real ales and the food .... magic!