“Stay away - Waste of money, awful!”
Review of Y Cantreff Inn

Y Cantreff Inn
Ranked #59 of 112 Restaurants in Abergavenny
Price range: US$4 - US$37
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 8 July 2018

My friend and I are from the area and thought we'd Roy the Cantreff for a change...first thing we obviously noticed was price, very expensive for a Sunday lunch...but...as long as it's good that's all that matters hey?..we were the first ones in there but food took 25 minutes to arrive. The waitress had mentioned the beef would be pink, fine we thought. Finally we receive our Sunday lunch....plated up! Quite sad...next..the pink beef..not pink but red raw with sinew and gristle through it.it looked like frozen scraps of beef that they'd defrosted and cooked, certainly not carved off a joint...couldn't cut it and certainly couldn't chew it..I don't normally complain but had to.she took it away then.there was then a debate about the meat saying the chef could pull it apart so I should be able to cut it and eat it?? Then more delay discussing that I'd have to wait if I wanted a new dinner plated up. Although there was only one other table occupied at this time. I said no just put some decent meat on my plate that I could chew. 15 mins later.. a new dinner minus the red cabbage..the waitress came over and said everything ok I said yes except you forgot the red cabbage. She huffed, went off and brought some to the table in a tiny bowl. No apology yet again. Both our dinners were spoilt. The manager if that's her title was disgustingly rude. We paid..no apology at all...She and her staff need to go on a course and learn all about customer service. I've eaten in some places over the years but this tops it all for rubbish customer service and bad quality food. Never again!!

2  Thank Angelica99

Reviewed 7 July 2018

My wife, daughter, and I were recommended to eat at the Cantreff by a friendly local while we were visiting the town, and what a great tip that was. The proprietress Lynette made us very welcome, and even introduced our 8 year-old daughter to her dogs in the garden at the back. We also enjoyed some nice drinks (Wye Valley ale and Birra Morretti). And the ambience of the building is quite charming. But the most special part of the experience is the food at this place. The new chef Alex is extremely talented and has a genuine passion for his art. You're in for a sublime experience if you eat here. Don't expect a large array of choices (good restaurants can't prepare more than a handful of dishes from fresh ingredients), but the choice is diverse and really appetizing. We ordered the Welsh lamb, chicken tika, and the fish and chips, all of which were outstanding. This is definitely the place to go for dinner or lunch if you're passing through the lovely town of Abergavenny.

Reviewed 30 June 2018 via mobile

Excellent home made food good service friendly staff. Nice local feel. Lovey garden. Small menu, usually a good sign of quality.

Reviewed 3 June 2018

We stopped off here on Bank Holiday Monday for lunch. We were welcomed warmly, and I found a superb couple of ales on the bar. They had a small lunch menu, but my wife and I shared a lovely ploughmans, with their home made bread, and my daughters enjoyed a fish finger sandwich. A nice find.

Reviewed 22 April 2018

We live in Abergavenny and the Cantreff Inn is one of our favourite places to eat in the evening but we had not tried the Sunday lunch menu before. So we visited today and had a superb experience! This is not your average pub grub - this was a fine dining experience. I had the roast beef - superbly moist and tender beef with crispy roast potatoes, roast parsnips, delicately spiced red cabbage, fine green beans - which I love - and exquisite proper beef gravy - absolute heaven! My wife had a vegetarian Thai curry, which was delicious. Lovely relaxed atmosphere, excellent service and easy parking. Brilliant!

1  Thank James D