“Really lovely lunch ”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 22 September 2018 via mobile

We chose The Crown as a meeting place with friends because it comes top of the places to eat in Abergavenny. We were not disappointed at all. We all ate from the specials menu; curry and chicken. The food and presentation were excellent and matched the very good service we received. It’s a hidden gem and we look forward to returning in the near future.

2  Thank Annerees

Reviewed 16 September 2018

Came here after a long and enjoyable day at the Abergavenny Good Festival. Enjoyed some drinks in a pleasant enough environment then ordered our meals from a tempting, varied menu. Our starters arrived promptly and were very good. Two sole goujons and a duck rillette were fresh, well presented and very tasty. I particular enjoyed the lightly pickled fresh vegetables and the rich, sweet date puree alongside the little kilner jar of rillette. The warm crusty bread was excellent, too. Our main courses were steak and ale pie (disappointing to have a pie crust that is merely a disc of puff pastry sitting atop a tender and flavoursome filling.), venison sausage on mash and scampi. Perfectly good.

2  Thank Janet R
Reviewed 15 September 2018

Popped in one evening during a stay in the Brecon Beacons - I have coeliac disease and my partner and I have to plan in advance because of this! Luckily this was no issue and I had a fantastic meal after a short conversation with the waiting staff - I even got some gluten free bread and oil to start which is a novelty! Lovely atmosphere, would recommend.

1  Thank Jayne E
Reviewed 12 September 2018

We visited the Crown for supper . It was a real pleasure , the food service and atmosphere were all excellent.

1  Thank BrightonGrandpa
Reviewed 10 September 2018

This was top-rated in TripAdvisor, so I took some visitors here. It was definitely outdoor seating for us. Inside is authentic period features, but a little too dark and loud for us. Outside was lovely. The service was terrific as well. The food was good - not the outstanding quality expected of a top-rated restaurant, but anyway very good. Portion sizes were good and I appreciated that there were options for a small or large size.