“Wonderful food and service”
Review of The Hardwick

The Hardwick
Ranked #23 of 112 Restaurants in Abergavenny
Price range: US$65 - US$65
Cuisines: British
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 22 July 2017

We visited on Father's day which was also dad's 75th birthday for Sunday lunch. It was a hot day and the team looked after us very well. Windows were kept open and jugs of iced water were kept topped up.
The food was delicious including excellent vegetarian options (normally tricky for Sunday lunch). All three courses went down a treat.
Would I go again, yes, and we have.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,660)

Reviewed 19 July 2017

Four for lunch. Expensive though nice service. Meals were disappointing my Ragout of lamb was tasty but very heavy, my wife's middle east chicken went down very badly. The coffee was undrinkable. The good bits - starters really excellent and the wine list well chosen, though not cheap. In short, this was disappointing for a restaurant with a high reputation

Reviewed 16 July 2017

We had been to the Hardwick twice before several years ago and the experience was excellent. Having recently returned we found the standards had significantly dropped. The restaurant itself is now rather tired, the food was good, but not great, and the service was very disappointing. A waitress that showed no real interest, meals handed out without any care, and the bill, when it arrived (we had to go in search of a waiter) was just plonked on the table without a word. The waitress didn't return so we could pay the bill, so we had to pay at the bar on the way out. The place needs sprucing up, the menu re-invented, and the staff properly trained in customer service.

1  Thank Longwood_J
Reviewed 12 July 2017

We were staying in Ross on Wye about half an hour away and were recommended the food here by a lady at another local restaurant. I loved the fact that they did small and large versions of most dishes which meant that we could try more of the menu. Two of the stand out dishes were the duck hash and the pork belly with black pudding. Both were so enjoyable we were talking about them the next day. The middle eastern fried chicken was the only dish we thought didn't work so well.
Then evening was lovely in such a nice setting.

Reviewed 9 July 2017

This was the fifth time I have been to the Hardwick. The reason I go back is because I really like the food and the views of the hills from the restaurant. I have never been particularly impressed with the service but the food has won me over every time.

This time the food was still good but it was not enough to compensate for the poor service. It seemed like there wasn't any co-ordination between staff members and most people acted as if they were new.

We were left too long in the bar. When we were seated we were asked if we wanted more drinks 7 times by 5 different people within 10 minutes. When the mains were cleared the waiter said he would bring back menus for pudding. We were then left alone for 30 minutes without service. When I went to get menus myself the waiter who said he would get our menus handed them to me without apology even though he realised he had forgotten. We were then left alone again for 15 minutes. Our coffees were meant to be delivered with our puddings but came 15 minutes late. Our bill was incorrect.

Individually, all of these things are really quite trivial. However, the cumulative effect spoilt our experience on a special occasion. I hope the service will improve as I feel it is a shame that the good food and ambience is tarnished for the sake of some decent staff training.

3  Thank Peter J