“Walking holiday ”

and 1 more site!
Black Lion Guest House
Ranked #25 of 31 Abergavenny B&B and Inns
Reviewed 30 May 2017 via mobile

A perfectly good Guest House to be a base for exploring the surrounding area
Good breakfast which included plenty of fresh fruit
We had a room at the back which was quiet
Only falls down in not having a communal lounge area
It's close to town centre and we had no problems parking even on a bank holiday weekend

Stayed: May 2017, travelled with friends

Reviewed 29 May 2017 via mobile

My husband and myself book a double room weeks in advance for the steam fair, we received a confirmation email and "thought" our booking was secure, we phoned on the day of our stay to ask if we could park the car earlier than us booking in, we were told that our room had been double booked due to an error caused by booking. Com, we was stuck and could not get another accommodation due to it be such a busy weekend, we were told that there was only one alternative the hotel could give us, was to stay in an accommodation near Newport! And they would sort a taxi, but we had our dog and enjoy walking to Bailey Park for the fair, we phoned the company that we booked through, who advised us that they had an email from the black lion, confirming this was an error on their part?? So I phoned back asking what had happened, but the owner still insisted this was due to the company we booked through, and told me he is always in this position were he has to let guests down due to this companies errors!!! Why not just tell the
Truth!?
The hotel also told the company we booked through that we had turned down two offers of alternative accommodation in a double room, this was also a lie! We were told the rooms were single, so yes my husband and I did not want to sleep in different rooms! We were then offered another alternative, but the hotel was not dog friendly? Grrrrrrrrrr!!! Buy this time we were in bailey Park trying to enjoy what was left of our reuined day! I told the company we booked through That we had enough and my husband was now going to drive home, we said we want some form of compensation as if we had cancelled we would of been charged!
We were told that the person to make this desition was not available till the next day, we have eared nothing of the black lion or the booking company ???
I do believe our room was booked, but someone had walked in asking for accommodation and had payed there and then, our room was simply sold to someone else, no thought for us or our reuined plans,
This hotel might have some good reviews, but that's if you actually get to stay at the Black lion and they don't sell your room to someone else, the owner did say he was sorry and that I needed to sympathise with him as it's sort notice and he was doing his best to find us somewhere else!!!!
What a joke! I was gutted for my husband as he works very hard and is always on call, this was his treat as he loves the steam fair, this was reuined for him as he at to drive! I would advise not to book this hotel in advance or through any booking sites, unless you are walking in and paying there and then don't bother!
The owner confirmed his self that he is always trying to find people alternative rooms in other hotels!

Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 November 2016

Lots of home comforts, lovely welcome from owner/staff. Homely and welcoming. Great value for money. Would recommend it for easy access to town centre. Some road noise but to be expected on the main road.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 October 2016

Stayed at at the Black Lion Guest House for our annual Mountain Bike trip away, fantastic welcome nothing to much trouble, rooms all clean and tidy, ours slept 3 which meant I was on the sofa bed but was all ok.

No parking onsite but plenty of off-street parking available.

Breakfast was superb probably one of the best Ive had, kept me going from 10am to 5pm when I next ate, even after a big mountain bike ride.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank cogsy1976
Reviewed 13 September 2016

You won`t get a friendlier welcome anywhere else! All the comforts of home and the owners can`t do enough for you. Rooms are spotlessly clean and if you like your food, the breakfast is to die for! never seen such an array of Fruit, Cereal, Juice, Tea & Coffee and the full English cooked breakfast is a real "belly buster"!!
A couple of the rooms do not have en-suite, but there are 2 bathrooms, one with a shower, one with a bath, complete with shower gels & soaps and enough towels for a Rugby squad. Plus you`ll find a huge fluffy bath robe in the wardrobe for your trip across the landing!! Highly recommended. One slight bug bear, there is no car park, but street parking right outside.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled on business