All reviews friar street english inn the pub central location kippers car park bed was comfortable multi storey four poster bed the ground floor breakfast was excellent full english fish and chips centre of town couple of nights weekend break visiting worcester
Reviewed 27 July 2017 via mobile

This is a historic inn, refurbished to something like modern standards. The price is right, the rooms are comfortable, and it is literally just across the street from the cathedral.
The included breakfasts are very good, with an extensive menu to choose from.
Two warnings: (1) If you can, avoid rooms that front on the street. This is a noisy neighborhood, even at 5:30 in the morning. (2) Be aware that if you come with a car, you'll have to pay 8-12 pounds per day to park in the garage next door.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Porcophile
Reviewed 25 July 2017

This is a historic building and has a nice courtyard and bar. ts very close to the cathedral and we liked the look and feel of it very much.
The rooms are all very small which is understandable in such an old building, but the beds are comfortable and the ensuites seem new.
We just had one issue with a mouldy smell in room 8. When we first arrived there was an all pervading smell of air freshener, so I opened all the windows and we went out for the day and evening. On returning after midnight, the smell of mould was really bad in our room, particularly round the bed. It disturbed my sleep and being an asthmatic I wasn't comfortable thinking about all those spores in the air (I wasn't too bad actually).
I can only assume there had been an issue with the shower at one time as the adjoining wall, behind the bed, was where the smell was coming from. I think this room shouldn't be used until the issue is resolved.
Other things to note is that the food is very slow to come - nearly an hour for Sunday lunch (and even then my chicken skin wasn't browned) and 40 minutes at 6pm for a cheesy ciabatta and side salad. The food was nice once there.
Breakfast service was also slow - I really felt for the two women serving. There was far too much work for them in Festival time; they really need more help. The food was lovely although a bran based breakfast cereal would be a nice addition.

Room Tip: Ask for a room looking onto the street, the courtyard rooms are very dark.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Pianoalice
Reviewed 22 July 2017 via mobile

A friend and I were in Worcester for the day and wanted something to eat. The food was excellent and very good value for money. I had steak and chips for £6.99. The decor is nice and clean and has a friendly atmosphere. I would recommend to eat.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 July 2017

This hotel has a great location on the edge of the main shopping streets, very handy to lots of restaurants and bars, and just opposite the cathedral. The rooms were comfortable and clean although the stairs carpet to the main bedrooms could do with a clean, as first impressions count. they are building a new shopping center nearby and are busy stocking the shops with lorries coming early in the mornings making it very noisy outside. The staff were very friendly and helpful and the food and drink good. there was a good choice for breakfast which was well cooked and large portions.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the side street.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 243Peter_H
Reviewed 11 July 2017

We called in for breakfast this morning. The whole place like the Mary Celeste apart from a cleaner smoking in an internal courtyard. Nobody on either side of the bar. A few minutes of loud "hellos" and somebody appeared. "Which table are you sitting at?" was the request. Scared we might be confused with the non existent guests we chose a table and ordered a £4.99 original breakfast and a £4.99 vegetarian breakfast. "That's £15.20" we were told, I'd paid on card before I'd realised. Anyway the catering skills showed a flair to surpass the mathematics. Toast black on one side and white on the other, burnt bacon (really black, not crisp) The three slices of tiny mushroom were raw... it was a disaster. We just got up to go and describing our tale of woe to the barmaid she just replied "so?" ......amazing that this place is still open. Come on Greene King you can do better than this.

Room Tip: Fine another hotel!
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family