1,764 results
All reviews castle view room windsor castle goswell house directly opposite the castle car park high street train station fantastic location cream tea course dinner large room hotel restaurant lovely room full english guard brasserie pounds
Reviewed 17 February 2016 via mobile

Myself and my partner visited the Harte & Garter on Valentine's weekend after seeing a great deal on Secret Escapes.

The package we got included a 2 course dinner, a double room for the night and breakfast the next morning for just over £100.00. At such a cheap rate I wasn't sure what to expect but I was pleasantly surprised!

The check in staff were helpful on arrival and directed us to a lovely double room. It was a tiny bit run down but that added a feel of faded elegance which I quite liked.

We had dinner in the restaurant which was a lovely setting, looking out on to Windsor Castle. I had a goats cheese and roasted vegetable starter, my other half had ham hock. Both starters were delicious but the star of the show was the double cooked blade of Angus beef that we both had and loved.

We went for a few drinks in Windsor and returned to the hotel for a night cap where we were attended by a really lovely member of night staff (Malek I think) who kept us entertained as we enjoyed a reasonably priced G&T.

Breakfast the next morning was nice and quiet and provided us with everything we were after including a full dry up, cereals and pastry.

Overall it was a fantastic stay and I would definitely go back.

Date of stay: February 2016
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
GMHarteandGarter, General Manager at Harte & Garter Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2016

Thank you for writing a review and I was pleased you had an enjoyable stay. My team and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on your next trip to Windsor.

Regards

Andrew Lee

Reviewed 17 February 2016

This hotel is trading on its location. It is right opposite Windsor Castle. However, it is dated, and the rooms are tiny (especially the bathroom). The staff are friendly, but not well trained, especially in the restaurant where the service was very amateur. The food however was good for dinner and the breakfast was OK too.

It's OK, but I think you could do better in Windsor.

• Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 16 February 2016

I thought it would nice to treat my wife to an overnight stay and some spa treatments at the Harte & Garter for Valentines night!

This is my opinion:

The location is ideal - right next to taxi rank, Windsor castle, short walk to the visitors gate and central to the shops and bars.

The buildings exterior and reception interior was nicely decorated.

The reception (which is almost concealed), had a large queue with only one receptionist working! Considering it was 2pm - everyone is trying to check in! A second receptionist turned up 10 minutes later.

There is just enough room to swing a cat in the reception area, so either ask your partner to hold the bags in the lobby area or get ready to be best friends with the person checking in next to you!

Whilst in the line, we both looked at each other once we over heard with an American family arguing and complaining their room was still not ready and they have been waiting for almost 3 hours! Lucky for us our room was ready.

We was in a rush to dump the bags as we received a call the day before saying one of the masseuses from the spa walked out and can therefore can we change our appointment - which I had no problems doing.

Once we dropped the bags we went on what felt like a secret mission to find the spa!

My wife and I managed to find a second lift which took us to -1 floor level where we managed to follow the signs to the spa! Talk about a long walk - ended up through the dance floor, bar area, conference room and into a small alley! .

For £35 my wife said the massage was not all that great! But what got me was the spa had a plunge pool and other facilities which we could of used for free- but it did not say that on the website!! i have even checked today in case i was going mad.

Our room on the third floor over looked peacock street above the Barclays banks. The room itself was very large, simple, had a bath, TV on a swing out bracket, tea and coffee making facilities, large wardrobe, iron etc - but the bed........ OMG, not only did it just slope off in all directions, it waved up and down and was hard as a plank of wood. However the pillows and duvet were OK.

Also must mention our room in general was on a slope - laying in the tub and the water was higher on one side then the other.

We ordered room services which was fine! recommend the salted caramel tart for pudding! Sandwiches were tasty and chips were very nice! Took about 20 minutes.

We did not stay for dinner, we went to Brown by the river. The menu for the Tower restaurant did look good though, so perhaps it would be worth trying if you go there.

For breakfast, there was the normal self services for cooked items and cold items, tea/ coffee and toast was brought to your table. The breakfast was very good. Although it was very quite only about 4 others diners.

Overall the hotel was average, it ok for our night there, close to what we needed to do, but if your looking for a bit more luxury or for more than 2 nights this is not for you.

As for the £110 for the night - not value for money.

Room tip: Try and book a room in the main part of the building
Reviewed 15 February 2016

This hotel purely functions on its location for tourists! We come to Windsor both on business and get a ways and decided to stay 2 nights in this hotel as we thought it was a good hotel, the reception was down a corridor next to the lift so not welcoming when you first go in, we booked at an additional expense, a front hotel room facing the castle, that was excellent, if you could see through the grime on the windows, never mind, perhaps the bar will be better, oh no, the truly ultimate bar man was serving us both nights, never had such a rude, arrogant member of staff serve us, even another customer stated his attentiveness was overwhelming! The tourists might like this basil faulty experience but we don't and wont be returning or recommending this hotel to anyone. go a short way down the road and book the hotel down there, much better past experience there I can assure you.

Room tip: Away from the lifts but not in the front of the hotel in summer or weekends
Reviewed 15 February 2016

We booked via Secret Escapes to spend Valentines Night at this hotel. First the good bits. A two-course dinner was included in the price and this was excellent - both the food and service were faultless. Breakfast was also good but, further to previous reviews, the toast is still cold and cold plates are left out to put the hot buffet on so lessons have not been learned here. We were upset that our room was not ready for us by the time we had been promised that it would be. Having read previous reviews stating that rooms overlooking the High Street can be noisy at night when the pubs and clubs turn out we requested a quiet room at the back of the hotel. We were promised this would be ready by 3pm and that, if it happened to be ready by 2pm, we would be able to go into it. We arrived at 2.35pm and was told that the room was not ready. We were immediately offered an upgrade - but one which we would have to pay for so we declined this. I returned to the desk at 3pm and was told that the room still was not ready. Two minutes before this an American family had arrived and were told that only one of their rooms was ready and the other one wouldn't be ready for another hour! I asked for another room and was told none were available. I replied that 25 minutes earlier I was told that an upgraded room was available and that, as I had paid for a room from 3pm, I would like that one and did not expect to pay the higher rate for it. They then searched their system and found a room on the first floor overlooking the High Street. I declined this. The receptionist said "you booked a double room - that is a double room". I replied that I had booked a double room in a quiet location NOT overlooking the High Street due to several reports on Tripadvisor saying how noisy the ones overlooking the High Street were. Suddenly, they managed to find another room - in a quiet location at the back of the hotel - which was available (room 324) and we accepted this. This room was perfect for us - small but cosy, warm and clean with a comfortable bed. The break would have been so much better if we had been offered this room when we first arrived! One word of warning though - you are able to access rooms in this part of the hotel from reception by lift but you cannot get down to reception by lift from them - you are met by a door which says "no access to hotel - fire exit only". It is not possible to open this door from the "room" side as there is no handle on it - so much for being a fire exit! You can only get to Reception by walking down several flights of stairs - including when you check out - and no porters are offered to help you.

Room tip: Decide before you book whether you want a room with a Castle view, which could be noisy, or a quiet room without a view.