“One night only”

The Porton Hotel Restaurant & Takewaway
Ranked #142 of 272 Restaurants in Salisbury
Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Description: The Porton Hotel was once The Old Railway Tavern, and has been converted into a family run hotel, restaurant and bar. The location provides easy acccess to Porton Down facilities, the World Heritage site of Stonehenge in Amesbury and the cherised salisbury Cathedral in the centre of Salisbury.
Reviewed 7 August 2016 via mobile

We stayed for one night as we were attending a party locally. Unfortunately the room was very poorly decorated, the door to the ensuite toilet had no catch or lock. The breakfast service was poor and was just served with no option to change anything. It was very expensive for the level of accommodation and service we received. The only positive thing was that the bed linen and towels were clean.

Reviewed 24 July 2016 via mobile

Wonderful food - the curry is amazing. Everyone enjoyed. The owners were friendly, welcoming and accommodating. I would recommend it to anyone.

1  Thank 956phillippap
Reviewed 10 June 2016

We have had several large groups here. Just ask the proprietor to do curry for your total number and leave him to it. Always good.
Good value and good service.

1  Thank Henrylab
Reviewed 13 May 2016 via mobile

On arrival a friendly welcoming reception, owners clearly love their work. Refreshing to see such dedication. Popular with the locals, food is exceptional. A lovely atmosphere that you will not experience in chain hotels.

2  Thank D H
Reviewed 18 January 2016

From the outside the Porton Hotel is not up to much, and inside there is nothing much to make you linger, apart from a good range of beer. But our daughter had said it was very nice and so we sat down (a party of eight) and prepared to be disappointed.

The restaurant seems to be open on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays only, we had come for a curry, which could be found on page three of the unimaginative menu on the page following Scampi and Chips.

I was half way through my first pint of Doombar when our Chef and host popped out to greet us and take our order. A mixture of starters and main courses was agreed upon with pappadoms to get us in the mood. By the time he had left to return to his kitchen I had a feeling that this may be an OK meal.

It took a quarter of an hour for the pappadoms to arrive and it was immediately clear that tonight I was going to be happy. Forget the cardboard things that have been left in a warm cupboard for hours, these were light and crispy and so obviously just cooked that they just begged to be eaten.

Starters arrived, Samosas ? very good ! Onion Bhajis? Brilliant!. Chicken Tikka? Simply exguisite!

By now I was happy and then the main courses arrived and I felt that a little piece of India had transported itself into deepest Wiltshire. I sampled most of the dishes every one superb, and every one different. There was no tweaked curry gravy, nothing that tasted bland, nothing that did not exceed expectations, it was quite simply excellent....In fact it was more than that it was probably the best meal of it's type I have ever eaten.

The Porton Hotel does not do flash, and it does not need to, it simply does brilliant food, Yes it is more expensive than the average curry house, but that is like comparing a transport cafe with "The Ivy".

I am going back very soon!

1  Thank Julian B