New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Discovery Inn Leeds

Discovery Inn Leeds
Ranked #41 of 85 Hotels in Leeds
Thurso, United Kingdom
“Good customer service, decent budget hotel.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2012

A decent budget hotel, which I chose due to it's location close to Leeds railway station.
Check in was very efficient and friendly. Quite confusing trying to find my room initially as the hotel used to be two separate buildings.
The strangest thing was no duvet, there were sheets and blankets on the bed. Thought everywhere had duvets these days......
Room was very clean and smart. But big problem was no hot water, which I didn't discover until I was in the shower. Rather unpleasant experience.
I was hoping for an early night due to catching an early morning train, but had to get dressed and visit reception. They were excellent at allocating me another room, and checked to make sure the water was hot. Was offered a complimentary breakfast, but I was leaving before they started serving at 7am.
Got woken about 1am by people returning to the next room, walls must be quite thin as I could tell what they were saying and recognised a Geordie accent!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Newcastle Upon Tyne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

The hotel itself is just a couple of minutes walk from the train station via a set of steps straight opposite the station entrance, which was quite handy as my partner was running late so I was left to carry the luggage. I was unsure at first as to whether I had entered through the correct door, as I walked into a small corridor with nobody around for guidance. There was a small notice on the wall saying that reception was on the 3rd floor, so I nervously entered the lift in hope that I was heading in the right direction. Upon reaching reception, I found the staff to be polite, although my booking could not be found as for some reason, for all it had been booked and confirmed in my name online, for some reason the hotel had my partners name in place of mine for all he was down as my guest. Once that was cleared up I was given a key card and told that my room was on the second floor. I re entered the lift only to find it would not move (reception did not inform me that I needed to use my key card actually in the lift!) Once getting to my floor I found my way around a bit of a rabbit warren to my room. The cleaner was still in there even though it was after 2 o clock. Whilst she was there I requested extra pillows, as the ones provided seemed a little flat, which arrived promptly without fuss. The room itself was clean and comfortable with tea and coffee making facilities ( although the uht milk was out of date by 2 weeks!) The ensuite shower and toilet were also of good standard. After meeting up with my partner, we ventured out for a drink and a meal at one of the nearby pubs and returned back to the room for the evening. It was a bit of a strange experience as we did not see any other guests and as reception was on the floor above ours, we never saw any of the staff until check out!
This was the first time I stayed at the hotel and now that I have found my bearings I will most likely be staying again. It may be helpful if the hotel could offer guests a map of their floor and give clear instructions on how to use the key card for first time guests before they enter the lift. It would also have been nice to be greeted by a doorman, rather than having to look around for notices to find out how to get to reception. All in all a good value for money, comfy but confusing hotel.

Room Tip: Dont forget to pay the £10 deposit for your tv remote control whilst you are checking in, in order t...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jo D
Grimsby, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2012

layout of the hotel is very strange,, and people who r staying here going for a night out.. u will probabley get lost looking for your room after a few too many! its a basic hotel . but its right near the train station and not far from the nightlife so best for young people i reckon. id stay here again.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Hatfield Herts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2012

I needed somewhere to crash for a few hours having got a post midnight train into Leeds on a Friday night and an early start the following morning.

The Discovery Hotel fitted my needs fine. Check in - at 12:30am - was unsurprisingly quick and efficient. My room on the fourth floor was quiet (away for the traffic!), warm and the bed was adequate. Based on some of the views on this site I took earplugs, put them in and slept through the night.

Yes, the room could have been bigger and the bathroom was tiny and cheap looking (although perfectly clean) but hey - for the amount I paid (£30) I was perfectly satisfied with what I had.

Unfortunately I left before breakfast was served so can't comment on the food!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2012

In terms of layout, this is the strangest hotel in which I have ever stayed. The entrance lobby is very small and quite stuffy. The reception can only be reached by lift and is on Level 3. To get to my room, I had to wander down a long, narrow, twisting and turning corridor, at the end of which Level 3 mysteriously became Level 7 - I then had to ue a rackety old lift to get to Level 10. All this gives an 'Alice-in-Wonderland' impression which is merely bizarre rather than quaint.

It was clear that there was an ongoing process of redecoration. I could smell paint and many of the rooms were out of service. My own room was comfortable and well-furnished in the bedroom section: I had a comfortable night and slept well. The bathroom, however, had very tiny towels and the shower was too hot to use properly.

Breakfast was adequate except that the croissants were cold! Reception was friendly and helpful. Overall my impressions were mixed. I was dismayed by the layout, pleased with the bedroom but very dissatisfied with the bathroom. A work in progress, I think.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business