“Much better than these reviews suggest.”

Royal Court Hotel - Coventry
Ranked #33 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
gran canaria
“Much better than these reviews suggest.”
Reviewed 4 March 2012

I booked this hotel quickly, without looking at trip advisor so when I saw the reviews my heart sank. I decided that we could probably put up with most things for one night so we went anyway. I could not have been happier at this hotel. The staff were friendly, the room was comfortable and clean. We ate dinner and breakfast at the hotel in a lovely setting again with lovely staff. The food was simple but well cooked and the buffet breakfast in particular had plenty too choose from.
For a small extra chrge we used the pool with sauna, steam room and jacuzzi. All were fine although it did get a bit full at times but I think thats normal at weekends. My only small issue which although personally not an issue, i think could be to other travellers, was the noise. We could hear doors slamming in the corridor and the plumbing from the room above. I think for a very light sleeper this could be an issue but Im not, so it wasnt. I had room 172 if its of any use.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank gcatgc

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (434)
  • Polish first
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 March 2012

I'd read the reviews and was somewhat prepared for the place, I was working there anyway and so it was very convenient, that's where the good news ends, I booked in and had got a good deal on the room and breakfast, leaving my bag in the room I went back to work, when work was done I returned to the room and was greeted by an odd smell, don't ask, it was not pleasant, I called my partner and surveyed the place, it was very tired, peeling wallpaper, damp windows, damaged furniture and as I brushed the carpet with my foot it was evident it hadn't seen a vacuum for a long time. I looked at the bathroom and there were two fist sized holes, a previous occupant gone mad perhaps. Anyway, I went to reception and asked to be moved, they were polite and seemed used to my request, the 'new' room was much better, it has the spa jacuzzi bath that others have commented on.

That evening I met some friends in the bar and ordered fish and chips, mushy peas, the service is awful, not their fault, their managers need to give some training, it seems to take ages for everything, half an hour later, my meal appeared and it was very odd, a battered sausage shaped piece of fish, cold chips and fluorescent green mushy peas, my appetite waned, I complained and a half hour later my sausage shaped fish reappeared with warmer chips and almost properly coloured mushy peas.

In the morning I went to the restaurant for breakfast and it was in the main good, very clean and the service was good, the Hotel chain needs to concentrate on the service and the quality in pretty much every way, I can't imagine they are making much money with this many complaints, good luck if you stay there.

Room Tip: Eat somewhere else
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Halite

Travellers are raving about these Coventry hotels

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 March 2012

my friend and i stayed at this hotel on a 5 day break we asked for a room with a shower and they gave us a disabled room all though we are not disabled. when we took a shower ther was not enough out let so the water came onto the carpet in the bedroom and we had to mop up with towels food not too bad but could have been better in need off a new deco. not very clean

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 February 2012

I went here on a coach trip for 4 nights with husband and friends. Did not like dinner arangement where we were all put and had to look for a different coloured napkin to see where you were going to be seated - nightmare. As we couldn't find 4 seats together we were told to sit on a different colourted table and after that they set up our own private table for the rest of the break. It looked like a canteen compared to the other dining room which I had a look at. On the whole the food was ok. The bar was a fiasco - we were supposed to have a 3 hour free bar but considering we had to have our dinner within this time and the bar on the second night didn't open until we were through in dining room. Barmen kept asking for our cards and marking them not sure what for - not very friendly. The coffee was disgusting in the rooms and even when I got one at the bar it was undrinkable make sure you take your own.
I would stay there again because it is convenient cheap and when with friends you can make your own entertainment.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple